Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat for my Perma Cool w/ fan...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thermostat for my Perma Cool w/ fan...

My B&M cooler was not enough for my 4500 stall, so I ordered this Perma Cool with a fan.

This cooler only came with what you see in the pic. I need adapters and a thermostat. I have searched their site and other sites (including tech) looking for a kit with the t-stat and fittings to make this work, and I hit a dead end.

Anyone else installed this? How did you do it? Pics?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What GVW cooler did you have? Ive got a 24'000 and I havent had temps get over 140-150 normal driving and it will go to 190 or so at the track. Why not wire it to a toggle and once you see the temps on the gauge start to rise turn it on.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
What GVW cooler did you have? Ive got a 24'000 and I havent had temps get over 140-150 normal driving and it will go to 190 or so at the track. Why not wire it to a toggle and once you see the temps on the gauge start to rise turn it on.
I had the same cooler. It ran at 210, but I also had transmission problems...

I think your idea is easiest, since I don't drive the car much, and I can get all the fittings and switch here in town...now I just have to mess around and find the best way to mount this huge cooler...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowprofile
I had the same cooler. It ran at 210, but I also had transmission problems...

I think your idea is easiest, since I don't drive the car much, and I can get all the fittings and switch here in town...now I just have to mess around and find the best way to mount this huge cooler...
Where was your sensor mounted? In the side of the trans? Mines in the lines before the trans cooler so that may be some difference right there to. Will it mount on the front of the condensor?

Another thought is, I dont know when you fans are set to come on, but you could wire that fan into the factory ones and when they kicked on so would that one.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Where was your sensor mounted? In the side of the trans? Mines in the lines before the trans cooler so that may be some difference right there to. Will it mount on the front of the condensor?

Another thought is, I dont know when you fans are set to come on, but you could wire that fan into the factory ones and when they kicked on so would that one.
Yeah, I did it the easy way and put it on the side. This was a new transmission which was having trouble, so how hot it will run in all conditions is undetermined. From the short time I drove on this trans, it got to 210 pretty quick. Could have been due to the bad trans, but I figured this new cooler couldn't hurt. Also, on my stock trans and B&M cooler I only saw 180 on the hottest day.

I'm about to jump under the car now to estimate a mounting place. Looks like I can get it on the condensor, with mild fabrication, no big deal. I also plan on deleting the A/C on the next off season, so I'll probably be re-mounting it again...

I still like your switch idea, I have been doing some weight reduction, and I'm installing a panel where the stereo was with all my switches, so I can put it there...
Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

when you mount it can you snap some pics I would like to see how you did it
Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Here's the test fit. I pulled out the plastic shroud and washer fluid container.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Derale has a 180 degree thermostat listed on their site, but it would be a non-sponser link if I posted it.