Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP for a DUMMY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP for a DUMMY!!!

I had one of those live and learn moments, put the TC on the flexplate and then tried to mount the trans.

Pow, damage to the tabs (ears) on the rotor on the pump. Started disassembling to get the pump out, pulled pan, filter, TCC solenoids, pump will move approx 1/2 inch and thats all she wrote.

On closer exam, looks like remains of the two tabs wedged between inside sleve of pump and shaft. When you gently try to lever the pump, the shaft moves with it.

The tabs are wedged tight. I have used every small screwdriver and pick tool I have to no avail.

I am open to ideas on how to resolve this. Anyone of you super qualified guys hit this before? and if so, how did you solve it? I am hung up on this until I can get the pump out.

Any information appreciated.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's not going to be easy. But, to begin with make sure you have removed the o-ring from the end of the input shaft as the pump stator will not slide over it and will try to drag the input assy out as you pry the pump.

If the o-ring is removed... about all you can do is get a screwdriver in there and work those pieces loose. The alternative is to remove the valve body and get the band anchor pin out, remove the band servo and then the input hub assy will come out with the pump... haven't ever seen one as bad as you have described.

That's what I would try... good luck. Let us know how you make out.

g
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Default DUMMY hurts!!

The only oring I found is at the end of the smallest shaft that has the capsule in it. I noticed on the sticky basement rebuild he is showing a bigger oring but for the life of me I cannot spot one that size. I can see a bronze colored ring inside the largest turbine shaft but if there's an oring there I haven't seen it.

Appreciate your help!

Tnx Fred

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

what model year is the trans?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Teching In

'96 GMC V6 4l60E
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You wont have the big oring . More than likley you are just getting stuck on the teflon rings under the pump , Using a screw drive between the pump and the reverse drum to hold down the drum grab the stator of the pump not the center input shaft and give it a quick upwards jerk. the trans im assuming is setting tail shaft down bell up .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Yes it is sitting that way. I'll give that a try.

Tnx Fred
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Teching In

OK, tried that with no luck. Is there anything on the V6 4l60e other than the TC solenoids and pump bolts that have to come off to release the pump? (servo, anything else?)

I have a bearing separator that is the perfect size to grab the indentation just past the splines on the outer turbine shaft (tc stator?). I can then put a puller that clamps on to that and works against the inner shaft (input shaft?).

Even with this it would not let go. I didn't want to bend anything in case there is something else holding but I put a fair amount of force screwing the puller in and it still would not let go.

As before, any ideas appreciated.

Tnx Fred
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope... input shaft TCC o-ring, pump bolts and TCC solenoid are all that's necessary to remove when removing the pump.

As Frank stated sometimes the pump stator to reverse input drum teflon seals can be difficult to deal with. It does take a bit of finesse and prying to release them if that is causing the problem. Not sure if the puller is the right way to go... may be, just not sure... be careful not to get too carried away with it if you get it back on there.

Try rotating the input shaft (small shaft with o-ring) with some channel locks before and during removal. Might not wanna turn if it's in a bind but give it a try. If you have access to a slide hammer you might try to thread it into a pump bolt through hole and pop it a time or two then move to another hole location... I've had to do that a time or two in the past when they were being stubborn.

Hope that helps... good luck.

g

Quick Reply: HELP for a DUMMY!!!