LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   i think my trans pan bolt holes are stripped. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/739569-i-think-my-trans-pan-bolt-holes-stripped.html)

transambrotha 06-27-2007 09:47 PM

i think my trans pan bolt holes are stripped.

About 5 of my trans pan bolts don't tighten down good. i've had my fluid leak out last week. I got a new gasket for it and went to reinstall it and about 5 bolts wouldn't tighten down just right, and I leaked again. what kind of thread repair kits do they make for this situation?

performabuilt 06-27-2007 09:50 PM

You can drill and install heli coils , However I prefer to drill and retap them to 3/8 thread. But if you do that do them all it sucks havig two different bolt sizes

joecar 06-27-2007 11:41 PM

And after you repair the threads, don't overtighten. :judge:

meatman 06-27-2007 11:43 PM

My vote would be Heli Coils. Have done it before and it works ok. Plus then you have stainless threads.

8a8mfh 06-28-2007 07:30 AM

Some of the bolt holes are clear on top and you can just use a longer bolt with a nut

big wally 55 06-28-2007 07:53 AM

Don't waste time with a repaeir , do it right and forget it ! Heli-Coil . The kit will cost you a little bit but it comes with the tap and the installer ad ten inserts , from that point on all you have to but is inserts . Then you don't wind up with a halfassed repair !!

DBUS6 06-28-2007 12:02 PM

Great idea 8a8mfh.
Just don't over tighten them, thats why they make torque wrenches.

performabuilt 06-30-2007 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by DBUS6
Great idea 8a8mfh.
Just don't over tighten them, thats why they make torque wrenches.

True however we do in the case of even one stripped bolt tap everyone to the next size which is a 3/8 since I personally have seen the heili coils come out with the bolt

FLT 06-30-2007 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
True however we do in the case of even one stripped bolt tap everyone to the next size which is a 3/8 since I personally have seen the heili coils come out with the bolt

What do you do when the 3/8 hole gets striped out? I guess it's time for a new case. I personally have never done this but when torqued properly there is really not a need for a hole to be repaired. Heli coils are a good thing when installed and torqued properly. Just my opinion and I will say that installing a coil is not always the easiest thing to do. It might take more that one try to get a hole repaired properly. Sometimes you might have to snip a couple threads off the coil in order to make it work. Always test fit your bolts after doing a repair and do not force them. The 3/8's bolt trick is the easy way out providing you do not encounter an issue in the future. Good luck Vince

performabuilt 06-30-2007 08:57 AM

I would imagine that would be correct a new case would be in order or then would be and instance where a heli coil would be in order. Though we would likely just scrap the case at that point.

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
What do you do when the 3/8 hole gets striped out? I guess it's time for a new case. I personally have never done this but when torqued properly there is really not a need for a hole to be repaired. Heli coils are a good thing when installed and torqued properly. Just my opinion and I will say that installing a coil is not always the easiest thing to do. It might take more that one try to get a hole repaired properly. Sometimes you might have to snip a couple threads off the coil in order to make it work. Always test fit your bolts after doing a repair and do not force them. The 3/8's bolt trick is the easy way out providing you do not encounter an issue in the future. Good luck Vince

n2ocamaro 07-01-2007 09:21 PM

I just did the 3/8" rethread on 6 of my bolt holes. I was real careful when tighting them down. It worked well for me. Anybody know what the torque should be when tightening these?

FLT 07-01-2007 09:35 PM

Normal size pan pan bolts(8X1.25MM) are torqued to 98"lbs to 108"lbs. I use a 110. Due to the fact that you have changed the bolt size I would probably stay with the original spec's. I believe Gm says 98"lbs. This will keep you from overtightening the gasket.