Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Strange noise after overhaul $2,700 dollars later

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help: Strange noise after overhaul $2,700 dollars later

I got my car back from a transmission shop in Pomona and it made a weird grinding noise from the transmission when I got it back to the Valley. The parts I got installed are a 3200 PI Vig. single disc converter with a B&M 24,000 trans cooler with a cobalt autometer trans temp gauge. It comes and goes, but it does it mostly in traffic. I hit the gas and the car goes to second gear and then if I hit the brakes & hit the gas again, the whirling grinding sound comes until I go into 3rd gear. The sound is from second to third gear if I hit the brakes in between those two gears and then gas it afterward slowly. What could be making these sounds? The shop told me its my exhaust rubbing on a crossmember. Thank God I have a year warranty on the tranny. The car is at the shop again and this is after I spent $2,700 without the converter, cooler or temp gauge. Thanks for any help fellow LS1tech members.

Sam

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 07-27-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the trans mount.........
Old 07-27-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dmoney
It could be the trans mount.........
I hope it is something simple and not a shot converter. I won't get my car until sometime next week. I had the car for half a day and then the grinding started.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if the noise did not exsist before the work was done , I would look there first. Whatever the last thing done was is te first place to start looking

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the shop that did the work offer to adjust the exhaust? If not I would have to ask why... that is part of the job in my opinion. Did they offer to raise the car on a hoist and show you? I would bet they would if you asked.

g
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Toy Shop????

Give them a call, if it's something they did they will fix it, they are all good guys.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Did the shop that did the work offer to adjust the exhaust? If not I would have to ask why... that is part of the job in my opinion. Did they offer to raise the car on a hoist and show you? I would bet they would if you asked.

g
X2 to that urrrrrrr the man
Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alex @ CMS
The Toy Shop????

Give them a call, if it's something they did they will fix it, they are all good guys.
Good guess Alex. The guys at the shop are all good people. Mike told me he'll find the problem. Is a Vig. 3200 converter ok for a bolt ons only car? Would it need a tune for that high of a stall? Thanks for any info. By the way, the funky sound came after the whole overhaul. It was never there before. Hopefully I'll get my car back from the shop this week.

Sam
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trans cooler lines are held in place by a funky sort of clip
deal and after one piece of work, I got a tinny rattling sound
because they were flapping around loose and sometimes they
touched the crank pulley and made a sort of grinding noise.
Just another thing for your list.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
Good guess Alex. The guys at the shop are all good people. Mike told me he'll find the problem. Is a Vig. 3200 converter ok for a bolt ons only car? Would it need a tune for that high of a stall? Thanks for any info. By the way, the funky sound came after the whole overhaul. It was never there before. Hopefully I'll get my car back from the shop this week.

Sam
At the very least you are going to want to have your shift points adjusted or you'll be bouncing of the limiter at WOT shifts.

The Vig3200 is an awesome converter, you should have alot of fun onc eit all gets sorted out. Alot of the local members use the Toy Shops trans and everyone is happy. They are a standup shop.