Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How soon must I tune? Installing a Fuddle 3600...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How soon must I tune? Installing a Fuddle 3600...

Converter is going in on Monday... First chance I get (within the month) I have a cam going in.

I don't want to pay for a tune twice so how driveable/not driveable is it going to be with this stall installed without a tune?

I have a 1998 Z28 with a full intake and exhaust, stock 3.23's and the converter is a Fuddle 3600 2.2 STR.

If I just drive it normal (not WOT runs) I am assuming I won't have to worry about the rev limiter and throwing the codes, am I correct?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Driving normal the shifts should be ok may stack a little. You may also set code PO757 occasionally making limp mode but some cars dont but you could probably get by for a while

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-12-2007, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you need is your trans settings tweaked, you dont need a full tune. I would say do it asap and get rid of PWM, that will kill your lockup clutch quick.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1T/A4
All you need is your trans settings tweaked, you dont need a full tune. I would say do it asap and get rid of PWM, that will kill your lockup clutch quick.
what is PWM? my OD just went while I was on the hwy just cruising? it would no longer dhift into OD after having my Yank stall in for about a month and a half?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

PWM is pulsed width modulation or regulated converter clutch slip. Not the best idea in my opinion but really bad with a small diameter converter. The problem is the amount of slip is controlled by regulating the presure to the lockup clutch, The amout of slip is based on the stock converter clutch size so lets say the smll converter has 30 percent less area on the clutch then there will be 30 percent more slip that was intended, Eliminating it changes the lockup to a simple on off operation and keeps the clutch applied when enabled at max presure for little or no slip. But you cae as I mentioned in another post sounds more like and engine missfire issue if its after a longer drive.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
PWM is pulsed width modulation or regulated converter clutch slip. Not the best idea in my opinion but really bad with a small diameter converter. The problem is the amount of slip is controlled by regulating the presure to the lockup clutch, The amout of slip is based on the stock converter clutch size so lets say the smll converter has 30 percent less area on the clutch then there will be 30 percent more slip that was intended, Eliminating it changes the lockup to a simple on off operation and keeps the clutch applied when enabled at max presure for little or no slip. But you cae as I mentioned in another post sounds more like and engine missfire issue if its after a longer drive.
well it happened after dropping off a kid to his house and when we went to get back on the HWY it would not shift to OD this trip was about 50 minutes long so I guess after 25-30 minutes of driving is when it happened? should I check the fluid? I am about to finally get a tune on it tomorrow but now I wonder if it's too late? is the tranny in trouble?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
well it happened after dropping off a kid to his house and when we went to get back on the HWY it would not shift to OD this trip was about 50 minutes long so I guess after 25-30 minutes of driving is when it happened? should I check the fluid? I am about to finally get a tune on it tomorrow but now I wonder if it's too late? is the tranny in trouble?
Was it not locking up or not shifting into OD?? My guess is it wasn't locking up. It's happened to me a few times and all I do is stop or put the car in N and shut it off about 10 sec and fire it back up and it will be back to normal.

To the orginal poster, you can wait on a tune untill you are ready. I've put almost 10,000mi on my combo with no tune, mainly because there are no really pressing issues that i'm too concerned about.

Last edited by AK's WS6; 10-16-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O/P... you should be just fine for a while. If you are concerned, get it done soon. If not, drive it ... enjoy it!

Omega... Did this happen today as well? Or at least in a subsequent drive cycle. I would wonder too if it was simply not locking up but was indeed achieving OD. Meaning, if it did not have OD at highway speeds, when you came to a stop it would be in 3rd when you accelerated from that stop. Did you see any warning lamps?

g
Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
To the orginal poster, you can wait on a tune untill you are ready. I've put almost 10,000mi on my combo with no tune, mainly because there are no really pressing issues that i'm too concerned about.
Thanks! I talked to my tuner and he said to swing it by that he'd take care of it and then do the full tune after the cam ! From what I'm reading, better safe than sorry !
Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
O/P... you should be just fine for a while. If you are concerned, get it done soon. If not, drive it ... enjoy it!

Omega... Did this happen today as well? Or at least in a subsequent drive cycle. I would wonder too if it was simply not locking up but was indeed achieving OD. Meaning, if it did not have OD at highway speeds, when you came to a stop it would be in 3rd when you accelerated from that stop. Did you see any warning lamps?

g
until that night on the way back it would lock up on the hwy and youcould feel it and see the RPM's drop when it did? so if it's a missfire what do I do again?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... sorry for the .... maybe we should start a new thread entirely.

To begin with you need to identify the exact condition. Define what is taking place and why. It may be a huge waste of time to chase engine misfire when indeed that is not the case.

Get a scanner on it, drive it, duplicate the symptoms and see what is happening. From there make your determination for proceeding further.

Feel free to give me a call tomorrow... I'll be in all day and can walk you through whatever you find. Or better yet, drive out here and I'll take a look at it myself and we'll see just what is happening!

Good Luck.

g