Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 F Body/350 Turbo Shifer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 F Body/350 Turbo Shifer

I am building a 02 f body with a turbo 350 for bracket racing.I have been looking at electric shifters and control boxes and its bout got me confused.I wanted to hear if some of you guys have this kinda setup and what is the best stuff to be used for consistancy?I am ready to get this now but just dont want to buy the wrong one,so if any sponsors see this please help.THANK YOU
Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be daunting looking into automated shifter combinations. Been there done that! I think I can help you though. To begin with, consider the basics. Think in terms of How and When.

This is the How part... First determine whether you are going to use an air operated (Co2) or electric solenoid... because you mentioned electric I would go with that as there is less hardware and much less maintenance.
As far as the shifter... there is a myriad of choices. But I have a recommendation... a personal preference if you will.

For drag racing applications I prefer to use a B&M Pro Bandit. It is compact, lightweight, has a simple design and simple operation. It looks good and you can hammer on it!

The next thing to consider is the control box... there are basically 2 types of shift controllers. One is engine RPM activated and the other is timer based. The timer based model will start a clock when the trans brake is released. So you can see that this is a fundamental decision you will need to make... how are you going to detemine when it shifts.

Here are some tips.... the Timer box works good in a car that has a "loose" converter. Meaning during the run the engine is operating in a relatively narrow RPM window until the converter locks up and quits slipping. The key to that comment is tire spin is greatly reduced if the trans is shifted during that time that the converter is "locked up". Don't confuse that comment with a converter clutch locking up!

And obviously the RPM model shifts at a preset engine RPM. It would probably be the most user friendly of the two types of controllers.

Hope that helps you in your decision.

g
Old 11-08-2007, 03:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Shifter

Yes sir,thank you.I went ahead and went with a cheetah shifter and a co2 kit for it.Gonna try it,if it dont work i will try again
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot go wrong with a Cheetah on a Co2 kit!

What controller are you going to run?

g