Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much trans cooler is needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much trans cooler is needed

I'm running the setup in my signature and am wondering how mych trans cooler is needed. Stock 4L60e with Fuddle 3200 stall, am thinking about using this cooler http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&view=1&N=700+ without running fluid through the trans. I have room to run two of them if needed.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 AM
TECH Regular

For a single cooler and bypassing the radiator that is bit small imo. Im currently bypassing the radiator and am using the b&m 70266. With your stall i would say either get a bigger cooler or run two.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Launching!

When it comes to trans coolers, my motto has always been:
go big or go home
Looks like you have a nice little hot rod, now see if you can get that 4L60E to live for a while. The cooler the fluid the better unless you live in Alaska.
Give this one a look: http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70274/10002/-1
If you have room for two, it'll be easier to plumb one big one.

Change your trans fluid often, your tranny will love you for it. Will make it last a while longer. If you can get a shift kit installed for a reasonable price, they will also help your performance and longevity.
(you can wait until you rebuild it to do the shift kit, the sooner the better.)

I suggest using AN fittings and braided hose too. You don't ever want a hose or clamp failure causing you to oil down the track. Spend a little more up front and be much happier down the road with the peace of mind.
Get a good trans temp gauge while you're at it so you can keep a close eye on your tranny temps. Worth their weight in gold. IMHO
Good luck.

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 09-03-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added link
Old 09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
That looks good, it would be the same as the two smaller ones combined. The issue is I have great room for width, over 30 inches, just not much for height, just over 6inches. So looks like the two smaller ones in tandem is the way to go.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssduane
That looks good, it would be the same as the two smaller ones combined. The issue is I have great room for width, over 30 inches, just not much for height, just over 6inches. So looks like the two smaller ones in tandem is the way to go.
Cool beans.
Hope you go with the AN fittings on the install. Just did mine and it looks so much more professional. Hey, if you haven't already done so, you might consider a B&M or TCI deep finned aluminum trans pan as well. They help cool because of the extra fluid and the aluminum heat transfer. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

When it comes to trans coolers, my motto has always been:
go big or go home
Looks like you have a nice little hot rod, now see if you can get that 4L60E to live for a while. The cooler the fluid the better unless you live in Alaska.
Give this one a look: http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/70274/10002/-1
If you have room for two, it'll be easier to plumb one big one.

Change your trans fluid often, your tranny will love you for it. Will make it last a while longer. If you can get a shift kit installed for a reasonable price, they will also help your performance and longevity.
(you can wait until you rebuild it to do the shift kit, the sooner the better.)

I suggest using AN fittings and braided hose too. You don't ever want a hose or clamp failure causing you to oil down the track. Spend a little more up front and be much happier down the road with the peace of mind.
Get a good trans temp gauge while you're at it so you can keep a close eye on your tranny temps. Worth their weight in gold. IMHO
Good luck.
Thats the one I got, and its a big ******. Trans is still alive and kickin though!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool beans.
Hope you go with the AN fittings on the install. Just did mine and it looks so much more professional. Hey, if you haven't already done so, you might consider a B&M or TCI deep finned aluminum trans pan as well. They help cool because of the extra fluid and the aluminum heat transfer. Good luck.
Good idea on the finned pan. Yes AN fittings also. I bid on a used (new in box) on the other day but had slip on fittings but didn't notice. Luckily I didn't break reserve so he can keep it.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssduane
Good idea on the finned pan. Yes AN fittings also. I bid on a used (new in box) on the other day but had slip on fittings but didn't notice. Luckily I didn't break reserve so he can keep it.
Sounds like you're on the right track.
One word of caution for yoo on the alum trans pans:
drain plug gaskets they come with are the thick nylon ones, and I have personally seen several people keep tightening them over and over until they strip the threads out. Dummy who chose those gaskets to go with the pans should be shot. Anyway, just use RTV silicone sealer on it, or get a 1/2" thin copper gasket from your parts store and thow that thick nylon gasket in the trash before it gets you in trouble.
Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read the stickies
Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I ordered this one http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60345/10002/-1 along with their push loc hose and fittings. I'm moving it to the back though. I was running two coolers before one with a fan but this should do the trick.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I ordered this one http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60345/10002/-1 along with their push loc hose and fittings. I'm moving it to the back though. I was running two coolers before one with a fan but this should do the trick.

holy crap, you could cool our motors with that thing
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Nice!
There is no such thing as too big when it comes to trans coolers. I have two of those on my 4WD K5 Blazer. Room wasn't a problem, mounted them under the winch bumper and fabbed up a rock guard for them. Extreme? Yeah, but when you go hill climbing in the sand dunes @ 115*F . . . you can't get too much cooling.

Where in back of the car are you mounting that one Mr. DopeFedZ?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice!
There is no such thing as too big when it comes to trans coolers. I have two of those on my 4WD K5 Blazer. Room wasn't a problem, mounted them under the winch bumper and fabbed up a rock guard for them. Extreme? Yeah, but when you go hill climbing in the sand dunes @ 115*F . . . you can't get too much cooling.

Where in back of the car are you mounting that one Mr. DopeFedZ?
No sure yet. I'm gonna mount it like one of the ones in the pics in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=back+cooler. I just don't know which one yet and my car is at my buddys garage so I haven't had a chance to look under there yet.

Quick Reply: How much trans cooler is needed