Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

What Jobs Available in the Auto Industry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What Jobs Available in the Auto Industry?

Hey guys,

I'm a recent College grad selling cars. I thought selling cars would feed my passion for cars but as anyone who's done it knows, it really has nothing to do with "cars".

I've done well here though, mostly through hard work, and have a great resume with multiple achievements to show it.

I am looking for suggestions on what my next move could be. I got into car sales initially because I thought it was the only way to make money working with cars. I am obviously still trying to make a buck, but my agenda has changed. Working the dealership hours and coming in 7 days a week most weeks has become old quick. Not to mention the fact that you get tired of 99% of people hating you before you ever open your mouth. I am open to all suggestions anything from jobs that require me to get dirty.. to white collar jobs. I just wanna be around fast cars.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow !! reading it sounds exactly like I posted it but I did not ... weird... good luck to you !! I am striking out on my own soon to do something else. Pissed I never get to spend time with my 5 month old without hearing **** at work about it F-them.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

If I didnt have ties to New England I'de consider moving to FL for a while and working in my buddies shop basically for fun. Weekends I'de have off, but obviously I'de still be working.. that is if you call testing what you built that week on the track "work".
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

The lack of responses pretty much tells me what I already knew.

Time to get out of the auto industry
Old 12-09-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sciff5: You are me - 20 years ago.

Pretty tough to find a decent job these days, but you can set yourself up for when things turn around.

A young guy with some intelligence and enthusiam are in short supply.

PM me for more details.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

PM sent
Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

I guess I would like to know how long you sold cars? Before I comment much

" " also like to know what your degree was in? Before I comment much.

Many dealerships and many sales associates are going to give up the auto business. The future could be good.

Jakes Dad
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I guess I would like to know how long you sold cars? Before I comment much

" " also like to know what your degree was in? Before I comment much.

Many dealerships and many sales associates are going to give up the auto business. The future could be good.

Jakes Dad
So how are things outside of the car business. I should have just bailed months ago.. but was too scared.. now the job market is A LOT worse.

Year and a half selling cars. Did other sales jobs before that and did well.

Major was Business Management minor in computer information systems

Heres my resume

Experience:
Infiniti of Norwood 07/07 - Present
Number one Infiniti Dealership throughout New England
Sales Representative
• #2 new Car Sales Rep in the New England Region in Year One
• #1 producer Out of 12 Sales Reps One Month in Year One
• #2 producer Out of 12 Sales Reps Seven Months in Year One
• #3 producer Out of 12 Sales Reps Five Months in Year One
• #1 Draft Pick Every Month in Sales Team Draft
• Consistently at 100% of quota with nine months of Outstanding Production
• Sell to a very sophisticated audience
• Strong understanding of a consultative sale

Diversified Communications 06/06 – 09/06
The largest sales recruiting firm in the United States and an Inc 500 three time award winner
Sales Recruiter
• 200% of quota
• Fastest ramp up in company history
• Met with clients and made 30 to 50 cold calls per day
• Generated profit within the first month on quota
• Leveraged my strong technical aptitude to create an automated search program to seek out e-mail addresses of potential clients from an existing database automating a mass email campaign “The Job Opportunity Bulletin.”

Blue Star Computers 06/04 – 09/04
Computer Hardware Reseller
Internet Sales Representative
• Created and grew internet/eBay computer sales program from $0 to $12,000 per month within 60 days
• Built the foundation for the company’s internet sales division including building web pages and creating eBay templates
• Relentlessly studied purchase information and trends to make profit enhancing changes as necessary

Vector Marketing 05/02 – 09/02
Nationally recognized sales organization and sole distributor for CUTCO cutlery
Sales Representative
• Gold Key Club Winner
• #1 large sales producer in home sales at Vector
• Top 10% of sales organization
• Exceeded all Quotas
• Record sales holder for Direct Sales out of 30 sales representatives
• Most sales in one day in office history ($2,400 over three deals to low-mid income households)
• 30 to 50 cold calls per day
• 75% closing ratio for in house face to face sales
• Highest average sale of any employee in office history
• Selected to train other sales professionals on large order closes and presentations
• Highest closing average sales per demonstration

Education:
University of Miami May 2007
Bachelor of Business Administration, GPA 3.02
Major Business Management, Minor in Computer Information Systems
• Co-founder of U of Miami Car club
• Lambda Chi Alpha
• Honor Roll

Brewster Academy May 2003
• Captain of Varsity Crew team, Career Achievement award Winner, MIT computer camp scholarships

Computer Skills: Web design, MS Office and Windows, Familiarity with Java, Basic, and C++ programming, basic network design and integration knowledge.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

I responded! Had problem posting because of the long time I took.

You need to move from the NE. Some areas in the US are stronger than others.

You might look at a high volume auto group - not high end!

I am unaware of anyone on this site who has a auto dealership. You're asking your questions to the wrong group.

The Smart car has a waiting list. Penske has import rights for this car. CarMax and others in the used business have hundreds of stores. Look for a growth market.

Sell yourself - A person will never buy from you if they don't like you. You've learned that selling. Now go sell yourself to a big mega dealership.

Jakes Dad
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I responded! Had problem posting because of the long time I took.

You need to move from the NE. Some areas in the US are stronger than others.

You might look at a high volume auto group - not high end!

I am unaware of anyone on this site who has a auto dealership. You're asking your questions to the wrong group.

The Smart car has a waiting list. Penske has import rights for this car. CarMax and others in the used business have hundreds of stores. Look for a growth market.

Sell yourself - A person will never buy from you if they don't like you. You've learned that selling. Now go sell yourself to a big mega dealership.

Jakes Dad

Not saying I'de stay in the dealerships. I'm trying to stay around cars, but I dont really want to be involved in the sales of new or used cars. I am already well versed with every position in a dealership, honestly I was thinking of becoming a service writer, which is the only position I would have in a car dealership. I am just looking for other suggestions. Maybe something in the aftermarket sector, although I'm sure those guys are hurting right now, they prob still need sales people.

I am not looking for a job on here, I am looking for ideas on where in the industry to search

Last edited by sciff5; 12-10-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

All aspects of the auto industry are hurting except one. The REPO business is great.

The industry is still a large part of the US's culture.

Good Luck - Jakes Dad
Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket replacement parts is very steady.

During tough times people don't buy a new car, they nurse the shitbox back into service.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Aftermarket replacement parts is very steady.

During tough times people don't buy a new car, they nurse the shitbox back into service.
Yeah, another reason service sounded like a good idea. Our service department hasent skipped a beat where as most of the sales guys are making less than half of what they made a year ago.

Hey you know I was thinking about the manufacturers rep idea and it sounds good, actually I was talking to my finance manager and he knew a guy who used to sell batteries, almost sounds like the same thing you were talking about.

I actually forgot about this but I met a guy at the dealership about a year ago who was looking for a G35 coupe for his wife and I got into a conversation with him about racecars. Turns out hes got a funny car, a race team and hes the driver. Wow pretty cool stuff. So I get into a conversation with him about racecars and it turns out hes got a metal fabrication company that produces moduline cabinets.

http://www.modulinecabinets.com/index.html

I'm sure you guys have seen ads for these in the back of road and track, car and driver ect. After our conversation about the roll cage in his car and difference between moly/dom mild steel and we got into some welding talk and he asked me how I was doing here at the dealership and what kind of money I was making. We talked a bit and he said if the car thing didnt work out to give him a call he was always looking for good sales people, and someone who knew basic metals and welding practices would be really helpful knowledge.

Based on his website it looks like he may still be looking for sales people
http://www.gillmetal.com/employment.html

Gill metal fab is the general metal fab company behind moduline. Paul gill is the guy I talked to. I wish I still had his card with his direct line, now I gotta work my way through the main line and I know its not a small company.

I remember him saying though that there were a lot of gear heads in the company and they go racing on the weekends.

It would be awsome to have access to some of that equipment if I ever needed a part made for my car, best thing is that they are 10-15 minutes down the road.

Last edited by sciff5; 12-12-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Having the college degree is an advantage for you in itself.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sciff5
If I didnt have ties to New England I'de consider moving to FL for a while and working in my buddies shop basically for fun. Weekends I'de have off, but obviously I'de still be working.. that is if you call testing what you built that week on the track "work".
i think that you should do this move get out of the NE and go down and work with your friend. get experience and maybe open ur own shop or just go from there
Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Called up that metal fab company and got myself an interview on thursday at 1pm.

We'll see how it goes. Their job description for their sales people sounds like its part sales, part marketing. I'm looking forward to hear more about what is expected of me though, what the job actually entails and kinda what the pay range is.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Talked to them today and it turns out his funny car is pretty quick.

5.49 at 262

So hes not sure what he'd do with me. Basically it sounds like if he could make a position for me I would be doing a ton of different stuff but part of it would be pomoting the product at all the shows around the country as well as at the track. All the stuff that he does now that he doesnt want to do any more because he'de rather work on his race car.

I might also be doing some work on the internet as well as just making lots of calls to find some new business and get the name out there.

I was a little dissapointed because it looks like they have a metal punch/press/ forming business rather than fabrication. The owner has a background in fabrication and still has some metal fab equipment but really he doesnt do much fabrication any more, most of the stuff is formed and punched out of sheet metal. So I prob wont be learning much in terms of fabrication skills, which was my hiddin motive behind getting into a metal business.

Overall though we got to talking and the owner is basically trying to figure out if theres a place for me. I'm gonna follow up with him on tuesday and see what he says
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds cool. How did the cutco thing work out? Me and my gf almost got into that during highschool but it sounded like a pyramid scheme to me so we decided against it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Teching In

If you need advise, I'd be happy to help. I worked as a sales manager at a dealership in MA for a few years and I now work for a car manufacturer. I will say one thing, if you love cars, you really won't like working as a rep for a manufacturer. I'm around the cars even less then when I was at a dealership. Accessory devolpment is where the fun is..
Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You seem a bit over qualified for the blue collar stuff. If you'd consider things outside of the automotive industry (and a different part of the country), you might find yourself reaping some benefits.

Quick Reply: What Jobs Available in the Auto Industry?