Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

UTI school

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTI school

Dont really know where to start, but i want to ask if anyone has attended this school and gone to one of their MSAT programs. If so how hard was it to get a job with that specific manufacture , my plans where to get in with BMW or Porsche, maybe nissan. I tried asking in a BMW forum with no response, so im asking here where i could get some real feedback thanks guys
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Went to UTI, got into the Benz program, now working at a dealer. Getting a job is not too hard as long as you're willing to relocate. Hardest part is getting into the MSAT programs. Count on having to get close to a 4.0 and 99-100% attendance. Only 5 out of my graduating class of about 60 got into a program. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

i plan on having 100% attendance, what is your pay with mercedes how far did you have to relocate, was that 5 out of 60 just for mercedes, cause there are a dozen manufactures in the msat program
Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm making about 40K to start out. I stayed within my state of CA, but guys in my class when to GA and D.C. area. 5 was for all MSAT. Two of us in Benz, 1 Volvo, 1 Porsche, 1VW.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

wow those are tuff odds, where you mechanically inclined before going to UTI, 40k is not bad, how is that working for you in CA, its pretty expensive out there
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

I would go to University of Northwestern Ohio That places is awesome. Look into it. I went there and have no regrets other than turning down some once in a lifetime jobs including working for Tony Schumacher. I had an interview and everything. YES I WILL REGRET IT ALL MY LIFE.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

UTI grad in '98 wasnt able to get into a dealership. but also was not a 4.0. when i did get into a dealer it was as a salesman which lead to be a service advisor now im the service and parts manager for a Kia dealer. the kia tech that works with me makes great money. the most he ever made was 70k!!!! at a kia dealer. so my point is that you dont have to get into Mercedes Benz or BMW to be successful. GL with your career!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also remember to look into the cost of living compared to how much you are making.

Every person I have know that either went there or knows people that have gone said it sucked. Do a search on it.

I know some guys that went to a local community school for cheap and got their ASE cert and while in school worked for a dealer as a helper. After school was done the dealer sent them to the factory school.

If I was to do it I would want to work on the higher end cars, the economey does not affect them nearly as much and the cars tend to be better taken care of. I know of a BMW that has over 200k miles and drives like its band new and the interior look sbrand new.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

great response to the subject, looks like uti is out of the question $27,000 is not justifyed now the hard part will be getting a part time job at a dealer working the lube rack most likely
Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stangslayer98
great response to the subject, looks like uti is out of the question $27,000 is not justifyed now the hard part will be getting a part time job at a dealer working the lube rack most likely

Look at the community school, a local one will get you your ASE for a few grand.

I think its like $85-100 a credit hour and they are pretty well known.
around here.

I went to aviation maintenance school for 21k.... includes my A.S.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stangslayer98
i plan on having 100% attendance, what is your pay with mercedes how far did you have to relocate, was that 5 out of 60 just for mercedes, cause there are a dozen manufactures in the msat program
That is ******* hard. (the attendance) You get docked for ALL time missed. Its hard to make it up unless you speak to an E.M. (Educational manager) and request a night class just for the time out. It really is damn near impossible, even when I asked the instructors it is extremely difficult and its really not all that worth it. Keep over a 98%, don't get ANY speeding tickets, and maintain a 4.0 and MSATs are within the realm of possibility. PM me if you want anymore info, looks like you may have made up your mind but I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle of my enrollment period (like 10th course or so).

The other good thing about the school is there are a LOT of instructors with TONs of years of work in the field under their belt and you can learn a lot - you just have to take it upon yourself to read upon the subjects outside of school and pay attention in class. There are some real friggin morons going there and passing with good grades - passing is easy. Leaving with something thats worth that money is another.

Originally Posted by wrays96
the kia tech that works with me makes great money. the most he ever made was 70k!!!! at a kia dealer. so my point is that you dont have to get into Mercedes Benz or BMW to be successful. GL with your career!
The master techs at BMW can make 6 figures a year easy in a climate controlled shop in which they can wear white uniforms and actually not regret it. Still aint bad though for a Kia dealer Ferrari flys out here, picks one or two guys in the country, takes them back to Italy for training (all food, housing, everything paid) then they come back here for more training in the U.S. (again, all expenses paid).

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 01-28-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went through Lincoln Tech in Indy- I paid $26,000, 3.9GPA, 100% attendance, Honors diploma, Presidents academic list, associates degree in Business management,2 ASE certs, Internship at a local dealership, worked there just over a year, went to a different dealership.. blah blah blah. Point is- I worked my *** off at LTI. Thier Job placement wasnt ****- they handed me a 200 sheet thick stapled " book" and said - here is your job placement guide, have a good career!. and all that was in it was jobs for Lowes, Jiffy Lube, UPS, and **** like that.. nothing really worth a damn..

Im not saying i didnt learn alot, bc i did.. and damnit I made good friends with my teachers and they would always help me out.. such good friends infact that I can go and get my car tuned any time i want for free.. BUT- it is ALOT of money, and you will be in there with alot of **** off's who arent paying for **** and dont really care about getting the education b/c they just had to have somewhere to go to school..

I've also had friends that went through UTI and they say that they hated UTI, around the same time i was going to LTI in indy.. I liked going through the program and wished i could have taken more, but I had to get out and work full time b/c i had bills to pay.. I am kind of thinking about going to SAM in spring of 2010 and learning all I can there.. If i wanted, i could be out on the road with NHRA teams- which i kind of regret not doing , but it would have required a weekly job that payed alot, and would let me have off thurs-tues.

Now- all of these schools will tell you all kinds of things to get you to enroll there- its like going to see a military recruiter- and believe me- Both of them have alot in common..

Whatever your choice, I hope this helps.. And feel free to PM me or whatever if you have any more questions.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I went to UTI. Got into Benz MSAT program, which is now gone by the way. I was told last week that MB has axed the program. I got hired at a MB/BMW shop. I switched over to BMWs shortly thereafter. Now I am Master Certified on MBs and BMWs. You can make an *** of money if you live in the right city, i.e. Miami, Atlanta, NY, etc... If you live in the country like me and work at a small shop, expect to get treated like a dirty mechanic and get paid like one as well. With the economy the way it is and the industry collapsing around itself I would not recommend spending thousands of dollars going to a school and getting into a program that mass produces moderately capable technicians. UTI, Wyotech, and Lincoln Tech and others have flooded the market with too many people who can regurgitate info from books, but hand them a wrench and they fall apart. You know your ability better then anyone, so if you think this is what you want, by all means go for it. Just be aware of what you may be getting yourself into.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

well i do work for the government, if i am late 3 minutes there's paperwork involved, been doing it for the last 7 years and i have 100% attendance......but i still think i am gonna go to a local college and or start an internship at a local dealer, until the dealer sends me to school for further training
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Zmonte85 you should write a book you could have not said it any better, including what you said about the economy. As of this moment having a stable job should be a top priority........
Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZMonte85
I went to UTI. Got into Benz MSAT program, which is now gone by the way. I was told last week that MB has axed the program. I got hired at a MB/BMW shop. I switched over to BMWs shortly thereafter. Now I am Master Certified on MBs and BMWs. You can make an *** of money if you live in the right city, i.e. Miami, Atlanta, NY, etc... If you live in the country like me and work at a small shop, expect to get treated like a dirty mechanic and get paid like one as well. With the economy the way it is and the industry collapsing around itself I would not recommend spending thousands of dollars going to a school and getting into a program that mass produces moderately capable technicians. UTI, Wyotech, and Lincoln Tech and others have flooded the market with too many people who can regurgitate info from books, but hand them a wrench and they fall apart. You know your ability better then anyone, so if you think this is what you want, by all means go for it. Just be aware of what you may be getting yourself into.

Hit the nail on the head there my friend.... - completely right..
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Seen too many people file in and file right back out of the shop. It's bad for them and bad for the shop. Good help is hard to find.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I graduated from UTI with a 4.0 and 100% attendance. Finding a job wasn't to hard but for me at least the pay was pretty bad starting off. I only made 25k my first year working at a Ford dealership. I was on track to make 40k my second year but I quit and I'm now going to a real college. Being an Automotive Tech isn't all its cracked up to be IMO. The shop I worked in was very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter, my hands and arms stayed cut up all the time and to top it off the job is stressful (for me at least). Pretty much every older tech I talked to told me to get out of the field while I still can. If you are in the correct place the money can be good but I didn't meet anyone that actually liked the job.

If you still want to be an automotive tech I would suggest finding a local community college that has an automotive program. UTI is a rip off, the dealership I worked for actually asked me in the interview why I decided to go to UTI instead of the local community college. All together my UTI education cost me around 45k when you factor in the cost of living near one of the schools in a major city. I could have lived with my parents and went to the local college for a total of ~3k and still ended up with the same job. Instead I'll be paying off student loans till 2025 while trying to attend a real college
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

i graduated uti with a 3.6 and 100% attendance. i double phased for like 8 months. got into the benz msat, then we got dumped into the real world where "you are highly sought after techs". well thats a ****** lie. it was hard to find a job. i had no problem relocating to anywhere, but no one was hiring. and if after 3 months you dont have a job, they want the msat cost back. i cut it real close but found a job in the middle of the 3rd month. i make **** for pay. i am treated like ****. im very stressed, and the city i live in sucks ****. and so do most of the people in it.

as soon as my contract is up here (july 2nd , 09), i am going to move to miami, or chicago, or some other massive city, i LIKE working on cars, so i just need to find a bigger clientele.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

I went to community college, associate degree, got all 8 cets, became employed at a toyota dealer, was there for 5 years till speed inc. brought me in.

Heres other thing, theirs women at community college. UTI its a sausage fest over there.

If I could have done it all over again, would've gone to Ferris state or SIUC to finish 4 year Automotive technology, early as possible.
Last I saw Ferris has performance engine building electives, and SIUC has a 9 second nova for the auto classes to play with.

like other guy said, being a tech is a great job, they made me a jounrneymen at my dealership only if I would work every saturday 8-5, none of the dinosours there wanted to work saturday. Didn't want to spend the rest of my life that way. Wanted to finish my 4 year degree but I work 12 hours a day at speed, lol.

Last edited by Fraser@SpeedInc; 02-01-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: UTI school