Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Thinking of attending UTI

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
There is an aviation maintenance school here that tells people the will make $25 or something crazy an hour starting out.......... hahaha.... thats contractor pay with like 5 years experience hahaha and the students are not that bright and the ones I worked with were made seat pullers quick.

Like I said call around to the dealerships and the shops and company that these schools advertise and see what they say.

Thats a good idea here but can back fire on you like it did me just recently.
Thought Id try something new until the recession wave passed and backfired. If you call dont ask them " If I go to such and such school" tell them you graduated from it as if you were actualy applying.
I found employers will tell you exactly what you want to hear, which is very misleading. It would be better for employers to tell you straight without concideration of feelings toward such and such schools.

good luck
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.UNOH.edu
This is where I went. It was worth. Alot of my other buddies attended other schools and wished they went to UNOH. I got a associates degree in Auto/Diesel/Highperformance Motorsports Technology. They have a tubed S10, Dragster,Dirt track cars and a ARCA car. They also own a ractrack.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
Teching In

I attended uti in orlando about 2 years ago and it was the biggest waiste of money i ever spent. They will give you a bunch of bs stories on how everyone gets approved jobs anywhere you wanna live and bla bla bla. well the reality is they will assure you a job where they are avalable and not where you live and that can be anywhere in the us. I spent over 22k and didnt learn much more than when i went in and i was one of the top in my class. it would be great for someone that is totally dumb to cars and has never turned a wrench but for someone trying to learn the non common mechanic knowladge, its a waiste. but thats just my experiance with UTI
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Teching In

SAMRacing.com
Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

I grad from NADC (Nashville Auto Diesel College) and it was an ok choice. I didnt want to go to UTI because it was too close to home lol. The school is more focus towards diesel than automotive. I didnt know this when i went there and i didnt know anything about semis and heavy equipment. I learned a lot of good knowledge about diesels and automotive. I have no intention of workin on semis. It has come in handy when my freiends with 12v & 24V cummins break lol. All in all i spent 22K on a piece of paper sayin i know my ****! Seriously its what you put into your learning that determines what you get out of ANY school. Dont rely on what they tell you about makin $XXX amount a year. If you go to work at a dealer you better get ready for flat rate haha.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

I am telling you if you want to learn all links of Advanced Skills and knowledge go to UNOH. They are top notch and dont need to do all kinds of Advertising because they are flooded with people who want to go there. I go to work on and dyno a Blown alcohol billet Hemi. 2000+ hp. My instuctors motor. If your serious go there.
I graduated with a 3.92 GPA and had an interview set up by this instructor with Don Schumacher racing but due to my situation at that time I couldnt do it.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

I graduated from the OLD UTI campus in Phoenix in 1999, before they bought out MMI. Auto/Diesel 2 year degree. I agree with alot of what everyone is saying; You will get out of it what you put in it. I had just spent 6 years in the Air Force as an Airframe mechanic. I have and always will love anything with an engine in it! Anyways, I graduated #1 in my class and moved to Iowa with my wife. Started working for the local Chevy dealer. $10.00 an hour That was rough. A little less than the $60K they said when I signed up. Anyway, I worked my up quick because of one thing; Electrical and Driveability diagnosis. That is what I wanted to do from the start. But even after 4 years there, I still was only making $16.50/hr. I finally left and went to work for John Deere at their Engineering center doing testing. WOW!!! What a difference!! Most dealerships will not promote a technician up the ranks. They are too hard to replace. After 2 years at JD I got a supervisors job. I now supervise the Drive train test lab. I have been at JD for 6.5 years. Sorry to run on and I hope you do not think I am hijacking your thread. I also do hiring for JD. Where you got your degree from does not matter. What matters is what you know, your attitude, and how you present yourself. BOTTOM LINE Depending on your ambition, you can do just as well by going to the local community college. They teach just as much and are MUCH cheaper. I paid $18,500 for my education at UTI. At the time the local community college was about $7,000. If you want to go to work for one of the companies that endorse UTI, then goto UTI. If not go to a community college. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about UTI. Just PM me. Overall, UTI was a good experience.

Scott

Quick Reply: Thinking of attending UTI