Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Some Career opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Career opportunities

Hello I am kind of searching for the wisdom of some older individuals who have really been out there in the working world. I am almost done with the second year of completing my BA in Mechanical Engineering. I really really need to get a career in the automotive field to feed my need for cars. I got into this as an alternative to being a mechanic and I would like to do something in the racing industry. Now I know there are some Mechanical Engineers out here on this site. And I already know it makes a great car builder, but what I want to know is? Are the jobs out there for ME's in these aftermarket Rod industry. I mean would someplace like Rad Rods by Troy hire ME's. I know its a stretch, but its a dream job and all im looking for is a little wisdom.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont become a tech at a dealership or shop. Be a ME.. I mean both have thier ups and downs, but you can deffinetly fulfill your dreams if you work hard enough.. I had a chance to work in NHRA on a Top Alcohol Dragster and i let it go, and i will probably regret that for the rest of my life...

Chase your dream, work hard, and dont let anything interfere. and if something does interfere get passed it and keep persuing!..
Old 02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

You can do anything in this world and feed your love of cars. That being said, get your foot in the door of something in your field. You have gone farther than most. You got an education. Do what you Love to do if you can . Most have to do what they have to do. In the 70's, when I started, I took the "Trade" as college wasn't an option or promising back then. A transmission mechanic. No one did it and it came easy for me. No regrets. 33 years later, after owning a shop for 20 of those years, I would advise get as much education as possible. It will take you farther in life and in your career. Save and invest wisely. The cars will come, and they can also cost you. Good Luck!!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would avoid racing and most aftermarket jobs like the black plague rightnow... There's est. to be 1000 people laid off in just the Charlotte area alone,these are qualified experenced people so getting into the feild regardless of education will prove to be impossible currently.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plan to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Will a big name shop hire you straight out of school? Doubt it, but you never know

Things should be turned around by the time you get out of school but I would still plan to start at the bottom.

I am in aircraft maintenance and had to cut my teeth on the floor working under aircraft toilets (they leak...A LOT...) for almost two years and now have a nice desk job were I play on the internet 95% of the time.....
Old 02-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Default options are everywhere

i am one of those that grew up with my dad restoring old cars so i pretty much had a wrench in my hand while i was in diapers i know a hell of a lot i have built custom cars from the ground up i have a couple of years in votech where i polished my paint and body skills and some fab skills... but finding a job even with the experience i had was hard when u are young...... dont let yourself get discouraged keep trying even if you have to start at the bottom have a little patience and work hard and eventually it will pay off. i have had more jobs over the last 13 years its unreal... but i took something from every job with me ...i then opened my own shop and did great for a few years ...but the economy killed me a couple of years ago.....but meeting all the people i have met in the biz paid off i made 2 phone calls and had a job starting at 30k a year and a great boss... now i am his no. 1 and run one of his shops for him ... have the luxury of running a well known trans shop here in central ark and have a great bunch of guys... hell i could do anything i wanted to a car except build trans...now there is nothing i cant do....and i dont have to do anything and i make 50k a year....so be patient and you'll get what you are lookin for.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

There are oppurtunities abound if you are patient, and know where to look. Most likely you will start at teh bottom (but if you really want it, it will not bother you). I have owned my own business for almost 8 yrs now, and have decided to go another route, to follow another dream of mine, so to speak. Building Hot Rods! America is a country that anything can be done, if you want it bad enough. As cliche as this may sound, it is true....Dreams come true!! I was at a job for almost 7 yrs, and bam, I get laid off (this was in 2001) I had just gotten married, 4 months before, bought our first house 6 months before, my wife was attending college, car payment, bills, etc....and I am thinking: How am I gonna tell my wife??? She comes home from school, and I am so nervous as I think she is gonna freak out, right? I tell her, she pauses for a second, and I swear to you, she tells me this:
"Good, you can do better. You were wasting your time there, and I know you can do better somewhere else" I was like WTF?!?!?!?! I was NOT expecting that. So, I go to bed (try to anyways) and this is on a Friday and finally get out of bed, and go to the kitchen. I start doodling, writing ideas down, etc... Come saturday night, I have decided I am gonna start my own business! Sunday, have teh name of the business. Monday, go down, get my DBA (Doing Business As). Then I take a credit card, and go out and buy some uniforms, business cards, phone line, etc...and spend like $2500 getting my business going.
I started working out of the house, and 1 MONTH to the day that I was laid off, I got my first phone call. The very next day, I get my first job!! And just like that, I am off and running. 2 yrs into it, I get a shop (renting). 2 yrs ago, I buy my OWN shop and land. Couple months ago, started working on my shop, getting it ready. I plan to be open for business in teh next 3 weeks or so, and hopefully a sponsor on this very site!!
My wife was able to graduate Magma *** Laude from Univ. of Houston, in 2003. We had our first child in 2005, second in 2007.

What I am saying is, you can do anything you want, and I am proof of that. I have a high school diploma and 1 1/2 yrs of College, and that is it. I will encourage education, and if you have a chance, DO IT!!! You can never have enough. Make the phone calls. Make the contacts. Follow your dream. You have ONE LIFE to live, and you can not go back in time, so take advantage of every oppurtunity that comes your way, as you never know what it will lead to. Good luck!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. Right now im still kinda anxious to get out of college but i think the whole being unsure of whats going to happen is the only thing that bothers me. I go home every weekend to see my very supporting girlfriend and she tells me that it will all work out fine just make sure to do something that you love. Using this engineering degree i think will work to my advantage if I ever want to start my own business. I just dont really want to take a job that doesnt involve cars.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Teching In

imin the sme boat as you. i dream of having a cycle shop in the future, i work as a waiter, and am a senior in college for biology. my thing is cycles. i have been working on them since i was 4(literally). the whole "unsure about the future" thing has me too. i LOVE cars, and bikes, and trucks, and have NO idea what im going to do when im done school. should i find a career in biology and, or should i just go for it? i guess we'll figure it all out. im all hyped up too about finally being done with school.

wes
Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Teching In

My best word of advice is the same as all these guys. Follow your dreams all the way. There will be times when it gets tight and there will be times were youll have more work than you can do. I was one of these guys that grew up with pops always having hot rods and restoring hotrods. I got my GED (stupid!!!) so I could get a job turning wrenches. I got a job at the local Mercedes Benz store then about 2 years after that had a chance to work at Lingenfelter. Needless to say my dumb A&& wouldnt move that far from everything i knew. But hey you live and you learn.
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!

Quick Reply: Some Career opportunities