Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Engineers, I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engineers, I need some advice

I am currently looking for an internship for the summer of 2008.I am a ME junior at A&M. I recently contacted a PR manager that my parents met this weekend that works for a consulting firm in Houston and am awaiting their decision to interview. My reason for choosing a consulting firm is because I thought it would give me a good experience in all types of fields in engineering. I have applied for various positions at different companies but I am unsure what the best one would be. What type of internship would be best in terms of experience gain, and resume reference material?
I originally wanted to intern for an automotive company such as Pratt&Miller, Katech, LPE, etc but have realized that it is nearly impossible. Are there any other types of internships that are actually attainable that are in the automotive field? I would also like to work on applications in the field rather than sit behind a desk most of the time. I appreciate your help
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Teching In

If this is your first internship and you only have the school "experience" it'll be pretty hard to get in where you want. You might get lucky and get in somewhere you want, but these usually take time..welcome to the "corporate ladder". Try though, send resumes out like they are candy, write good cover letters and document EVERYTHING (to make call backs easier and more organized) Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The automotive industry is the worst. If I ever had brains I would of gone for defense companies, the railroad, the steel industry, ect.

::shrug::

If you can pass the FE then a consulting company would be very interested in you.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I am actually co-oping with BorgWarner Turbo Systems....and I am just a Sophmore.....They are right, it is extremely difficult to find a internship with limited experience, so search around, write letters and be extremely aggressive. I don't really know of anyone on the western side of the united states, but good luck none the less.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Keep the faith bro, you can get one. I am a junior ME/AE at ODU and this past summer I interned at Siemens VDO in the Fuel Components group (Now Continental). It was an amazing experience, being paid to do your hobby is the coolest feeling ever. Companies are finally starting to put more weight into the interview/personal aspect rather than just who you are on paper. I would say call companies and talk to people, thats what I did. Eventually, you will find someone who likes what you have to say and wants to hear more. Right now I am co oping with Dupont and it pays better, but its no where near as satisfying, go where you passion is, its cliche but so true!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently contacted a PR manager that my parents met this weekend that works for a consulting firm in Houston and am awaiting their decision to interview. My reason for choosing a consulting firm is because I thought it would give me a good experience in all types of fields in engineering.
what makes you think it would give you a good experience in all types of fields in engineering? some may and others may not. what kind of firm was it? name?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the encouragement. I only have common work experience like working in an auto shop, department store, etc, so I think im going to just see what I can get for now. I going to start sending out resumes to all that are still open and see who responds. How long does it usually take for companies to respond or decide if they want to interview after they have recieved a resume?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Try Aero Space, I work for Pratt and Whitney...
I am not 100% sure but I would think that they have lots of internships available and it is an easy transition from aerospace to automotive.
Also, I believe they have 2 locations in Texas (many more all over the world).
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the idea, I didn't even think of aero. How do you like it at Pratt and Whitney? What is your job if I can ask?

Quick Reply: Engineers, I need some advice