Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Who's gone to SAM

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's gone to SAM

I think im going to the School of Automotive Machinists for the october class. I was just wanted to see what you guys thought of the school and how getting a job after was after you were done. Im taking the cnc/heads/block classes.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

any one?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Launching!

I'm in right now. What do you want to know?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are quite a few of us on the board. I even work there

What questions do you have?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

i went i LOVED every minute of it....very easy to get a job... worth every penny.....
Old 04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

What kinda jobs do they have around there, that a student could get and make rent and pay child support and insurance, and still ace the school? B/c I'm thinking of going!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

What kinda jobs do they have around there, that a student could get and make rent and pay child support and insurance, and still ace the school? B/c I'm thinking of going!
Thats called loans, son.

They have certain sessions per day you go to. I have the pamphlet downstairs, theyre I think 4 or 5 hour blocks of time you go to school for each day, always at the same time.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

I visited there the first couple days of March. I want to go in the late fall. The biggest impression is it is a no nonsense, the harder you work, the more you get out of it place.
Good luck man. I hope you go
Old 04-14-2007, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by abot316
I visited there the first couple days of March. I want to go in the late fall. The biggest impression is it is a no nonsense, the harder you work, the more you get out of it place.
Good luck man. I hope you go
Thanks. That is pretty much what i heard about the school.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im thinking about attending as well - quite a drive for me though.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
You should say that to our two guys from Canada! One guy drove 6 days to get to Houston! He lived about 4 hours from the border of Alaska.

I see you are from Iowa! One of our guys from Des Moine just got a job out at Roush-Yates in North Carolina a few months ago.

For the guys who sent me PM's I will get to them tomorrow. Just got back in from being out of town for the last week!

Gray
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
I drove my Z about 1300 miles down to SAM in a day and 1/2 then put on another 3000 in the next 5 and 1/2 days running the Gulf Coast up to the Charlotte area, then to the Tail of the Dragon and home.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Im not to worried about the drive. Once im there i can alway fly home to visit. Im kinda worried ill have no where to store my trailer and car
Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are quite a few storage places and what not to rent. You could even find an apartment with a garage. I sent you a response to your PM as well!

Take care.

Gray
Old 04-17-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBronco
There are quite a few storage places and what not to rent. You could even find an apartment with a garage. I sent you a response to your PM as well!

Take care.

Gray
Maybe you oughta do that for everyone who contacts you about SAM, I emailed you and PM'd you and ever got a response
Old 04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Malicious
Maybe you oughta do that for everyone who contacts you about SAM, I emailed you and PM'd you and ever got a response

I sometimes do not get PM's because my inbox is constantly filled. I just went through and got ALL of the PM's. Only person who is waiting for something (response) is MADBOOST (who is just a friend of mine)

It is racing season so I am usually gone for 3 to 5 days at a time anyways.

Edit: I just checked ALL of the PM's that were in my INBOX and I have nothing from you. My box was recently full for about a week when I was out of town. Good chance I never recieved your questions.

If you would not mind putting them back up, I would definitely answer them for you. I even posted a suggested reading list for people interested in the school to help jumpstart their education with our program.

Let me know.

Gray

Here was the suggested reading list I posted up by the way...

Alrighty, here are some decent books for you to read if you are interested in the school. Now, these will not make you a master of the internal combustion engine, BUT they can certainly help you out with the basic understanding of creating power. Some of the information in the books are dated, but it is still decent information worth KNOWING about and how builders used to think.

Here are a few books I have personally read that are on the list:

Engine Blueprinting: Rick Voegelin (One of the best books OUT in the industry)

Smokey Yunik's Power Secrets : Smokey Yunik (Also a great book, but some info is dated [Rod/Stroke Ratio BS])

Some books STRICTLY ON certain motors that are good:

How to Hotrod Small Block Chevy's

How to Hotrod Big Block Chevy's

Ford Performance: by Pat Ganahl (Great book about the entire Ford motor line)

Carbs / Fastners / Etc:

Holley Carburetors: Dave Emanuel (One of the best carb books on the planet and easy to read)

Nuts, Bolts, Fastners, and Plumbing Handbook: Carroll Smith (MUST READ, Long but great information)

Automotive Supercharing and Turbocharging System: John D. Humphries (Ultra technical but once again great info on Forced induction systems)

These books can be found at Barnes and Noble, Hastings, etc. They are not THAT expensive. 15 to 35 dollars per book. You can even get them off the internet. There are many more out there, but I know those will keep you busy for a while. Once again, these will not make you an expert or a pro, but will SURELY give you great information and a better understanding of the internal combustion engine.

Let me know if this helps any of you guys.

Last edited by BigBronco; 04-17-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

I will have to call and setup a date so i can take a tour, Thank you for the quick responses
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed you and PM'd you last year, not anytime recently. I'll email you or something when I get a chance...

I sometimes do not get PM's because my inbox is constantly filled. I just went through and got ALL of the PM's. Only person who is waiting for something (response) is MADBOOST (who is just a friend of mine)

It is racing season so I am usually gone for 3 to 5 days at a time anyways.

Edit: I just checked ALL of the PM's that were in my INBOX and I have nothing from you. My box was recently full for about a week when I was out of town. Good chance I never recieved your questions.

If you would not mind putting them back up, I would definitely answer them for you. I even posted a suggested reading list for people interested in the school to help jumpstart their education with our program.

Let me know.

Gray

Here was the suggested reading list I posted up by the way...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Malicious
I emailed you and PM'd you last year, not anytime recently. I'll email you or something when I get a chance...

Well please do. I do apologize for never getting back to you. Not very usual for me. Once again sorry about that.

Gray
Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

I attended the school and graduated in '99 just as the LS1 craze really started taking off. IMHO It is the best of any vocational school out there. It is a "no nonsense" kind of place. The owner Jud, is straight to the point cut and dry kind of guy. The nice thing about the school is it teaches you how to deal with real world scenarios. Not just in engine building but in the work place also. Work ethic.
Just as anything though, you get out of it what you put in to it. You can just cruise through or you can come out with enough knowledge to join just about any racing organization you want! I graduated and immediately went to work for Ed Pink Racing engine machining IRL and Silver Crown sprint engines.

If you truly like the performance and racing industry it is the only route to go in my opinion!

Quick Reply: Who's gone to SAM