Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

What will replace the police interceptor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What will replace the police interceptor?

I was pondering over this issue on my way into work this morning, co-incidently while tailing a dodge charger police car... What will replace the American made v8 sedan if the American auto industry does in fact fold? What do the import companies really have to offer us that can (within a span of a year or so) meet the demands of speed, handling, reliability, low repair costs, interior space, or respect commanding presence of the American v8 sedan? The only v8 sedan offered by the imports I could think of was the current Lexus IS series, which certainly wouldn't be cost efficient.

Now, I understand that in terms of fuel economy and real aggressive handling capabilities America has set the standard low, but how many of us will truly respect a domestic law enforcement agency that deploys officers with Toyota prius'? It seems like the only real argument I could find linked to this issue on the web concerned the lack of fuel efficiency offered by the Charger and Crown Vic... Are we really going to sacrifice response time, human cargo space, and presence for fuel economy? Can we even afford to risk it?

If the American Auto Industry does collapse, how long can we expect to have our current (Vics) maintained with Ford replacement parts? Surely if ford or dodge folds with them we loose repair knowledge enabled providers, and parts production... (why make parts for non-classic, mass produced, obsolete vehicles?)

I really hope someone in charge can take heed of this issue, and realize there is a just need for the American derived vehicles, especially in law enforcement applications.

On the other hand, I can and will play both sides... our current police offerings do not handle quite adequate attributes by today's automotive standards, I agree that weight does need to be remove while retaining vehicle rigidity, that in itself will save weight and thus improve fuel economy. I know the current charger offers "displacement on demand" is that truly not enough to satisfy the "too much fuel waah waah" crowd?

Oh well, if we do in fact lose American law enforcement vehicle contracts. I will gleefully flee from any and all import offerings, especially if they are hybrid prius' or insights... (what are you freakin' kidding) Not trying to sound cocky but I drive a car, built on a college attending budget (1,200 into upgrades, 4,900 on vehicle) and I am making nearly 500 rwhp. Which by today's hot rod standards is average or less than average. How can they expect us to "pull over" when they can't even get close enough to us, for us to notice their "blues shinning"? N

Here is a link to one of many blogs I uncovered while researching this topic, notice there is no mention of handling capabilities, top speed for the v6 charger, and V8 charger. I did not check any of this bloggers stats for accuracyhttp://www.toyoland.com/prius/hybrid-police-cars.html

In European countries they need to use ultra high performance BMW's and Audi's, on the autobahn they employ use of Lamborghini's, why should American's be expected to behave any better than those countries..?

Please respond, I would love to hear other takes on this issue!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

http://http://www.greenhybrid.com/di...-article-5667/ another link to this topic

www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/lexus_hybrid_police.php I'd still run from it
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They're cops...you'll pull over eventually.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PopaPork
They're cops...you'll pull over eventually.
okay fair enough. What if there is a theft and response time plays a major factor in preserving life. With slower than current offerings acceleration, and a severely reduced top speed, how effective can a prius police squad possibly be. There are many crimes outside of the realm of speed, speeders, etc. There are issues of safety that I firmly feel a force outfitted with hybrids can not remedy.

I for one have also been pulled out of snow banks, mud, and other natural obstacles by crown vics. Can I expect to receive the same from a car with less than half the torque? http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...e_toyota_prius

What about gun fire, and shoot outs, I'm aware they are not the most common of police daily tasks, but they do happen. How is a plastic composite door skin going to hold up to a bullet? Even the car itself, features a roof line that is covered in glass paneling, any estimate on cost to convert those large pieces to bullet resistant pieces?

I am not saying that I am "in love" with the Vic or even the charger... all I am attempting to illustrate is that these articles and agencies seem more concerned with fuel efficiency than overall safety, and ability to carry out police protocol.

Last edited by phirepower; 01-15-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
***Repost Police***

Cops also have been using FWD V6 cars (Intrepid/Impala) FWIW. And if the Big 3 ever go completely under (which isn't gonna happen) they could always use Hyundai Genesis . But I remember reading somewhere about this company that is gonna make police-specific cars using BMW V8s... anybody else read anything about this?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Cops also have been using FWD V6 cars (Intrepid/Impala) FWIW. And if the Big 3 ever go completely under (which isn't gonna happen) they could always use Hyundai Genesis . But I remember reading somewhere about this company that is gonna make police-specific cars using BMW V8s... anybody else read anything about this?

So if they are going to use v8's anyways in police specific vehicles, why even bother with ideas of hybrids. Hybrid's are a great innovation and surely over a period of 100 years probably more help preserve the environment, but there are some applications where they simply DO NOT BELONG I am very surprised that this is not generating more response... No one has an opinion on this topic

Last edited by phirepower; 01-15-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not. All cops do is sit around in parking lots, and beat the bag out of those crown vics. They are constantly filling them up, and idling in parking lots wasting tax money.

Something more fuel effiecient in the grand scheme of things would cut costs dramatically.

Most of the smaller towns are replacing the old with FWD as posted above. Whether they be Ford or GM.

European countries sometimes have those cars donated to them. They also have much higher road speeds in some places, as well as no guns. If they were still rolling in Alfas and Peugots in some places, obviously you are going to be more inclined to drop the hammer with anything remotely quick. But when an M5 rolls up behind you with the lights flashing, your chances are slim and none.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Why not. All cops do is sit around in parking lots, and beat the bag out of those crown vics. They are constantly filling them up, and idling in parking lots wasting tax money.
While I can not argue that some cops are insanely lazy perhaps even useless. I would argue that sometimes their job requires hour after hour of intense action, while a majority of the time they might not have anything to do.

Either way this isn't really an argument over the laziness of cops, but over the extinction of the American auto makers, and replacing their product segments of utility and enforcement with ill-equipped alternatives.

Our forfeiture of another whole segment, once dominated with American products will inevitably cause further damage to an already ailing industry and suffering economy. An industry that provides millions of jobs to Americans, only to be replaced with a foreign vehicle, (which I strongly argue) is impractical to the application of this discussion.

What is next? are we going to start sending out Firemen on Huffy's, equip them with super soakers all in the pursuit of cost saving?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but gas isn't exactly high, and hasn't been for a few months. On wall st they are predicting further dips in oil cost over the following months, with no real predictable end.

By extinguishing our automakers, (which I am not pleased with btw) we are also putting additional jobs in jeopardy, like mechanics specializing in domestic repair, gas stations, automotive suppliers, the list goes on.

I'm all for cutting costs and saving money, but not at the expense of sound safety measures. And at the risk of further injuring the drying corpse of our once thriving country.

Another thing, has one researched hybrid battery replacements, if all cops do is idle in parking lots (which I agree with) these batteries aren't going to last too long and certainly are not cheap or easy to replace.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure just like everything else, if the big 3 go away, law enforcement will have standards that they hold their new cars to. They won't take a prius, lets not be stupid just for the sake of arguementing. They might go to Toyota, Honda, BMW, AUDI and say, we need a car that does A B and C who ever gets there wins.
And like another person said there is a company that is producing only police cars.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
While I can not argue that some cops are insanely lazy perhaps even useless. I would argue that sometimes their job requires hour after hour of intense action, while a majority of the time the might not have anything to do.

Either way this isn't really an argument over the laziness of cops, but over the extinction of the American auto makers, and replacing their product segments of utility and enforcement with ill-equipped alternatives.

Our forfeiture of another whole segment, once dominated with American products will inevitably cause further damage to an already ailing industry and suffering economy. An industry that provides millions of jobs to Americans, only to be replaced with a foreign vehicle, (which I strongly argue) is impractical to the application of this discussion.

What is next? are we going to start sending out Firemen on Huffy's, equip them with super soakers all in the pursuit of cost saving.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but gas isn't exactly high, and hasn't been for a few months. On wall st they are predicting further dips in oil cost over the following months, with no real predictable end.

By extinguishing our automakers, (which I am not pleased with btw) we are also putting additional jobs in jeopardy, like mechanics specializing in domestic repair, gas stations, automotive suppliers, the list goes on.

I'm all for cutting costs and saving money, but not at the expense of sound safety measures.

Another thing, has one researched hybrid battery replacements, if all cops do is idle in parking lots (which I agree with) these batteries aren't going to last too long and certainly are not cheap or easy to replace.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh my god if Chevy, Dodge and Ford go under who will out fit the the tow tuck industry????? For that matter, my local icecream man drives around in a GMC box truck, what will he do??????
Woe is me.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PopaPork
I'm sure just like everything else, if the big 3 go away, law enforcement will have standards that they hold their new cars to. They won't take a prius, lets not be stupid just for the sake of arguementing. They might go to Toyota, Honda, BMW, AUDI and say, we need a car that does A B and C who ever gets there wins.
And like another person said there is a company that is producing only police cars.
Read some my links in this thread, there already are many police across country driving prius
Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also have 2 cops in my town that have thos 3 wheeled things they ride around with. Your point? Like people have already said, cops are already driving front wheeled drive cars, so they will continue. It's not going to make them any less capible of doing their jobs. You might have to wait longer to get pulled out of a snow bank but that's it.

Last edited by PopaPork; 01-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Right now in Oklahoma majority of the cruisers, patrol cars, and interceptors are being replaced by either hi-output v6 or v8 chargers. Most law enforcement would be happy aslong as the cars are rwd. Its whatever the state or city decides to buy though, so it'll basicly fall into the hands of politics like it is now.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'm ok with front wheel drive, as long it remains provided by a domestic vehicle, is powered by a traditional drivetrain (for ease of repairs and cost), and has adequate power and torque to respond and carry out common police duties.

I am gonna go ahead and I say the point I was attempting to make, has fallen on deaf or uncaring ears. I thought there'd be Ls1tech public outcry! You should see how ruthless the guys in the street kill section are, especially to imports (they're absolutely merciless).

Nothing could have prepared me for this kind of reaction... I guess I should have researched the demographic that participates in the part of Ls1tech, prior to posting.

I apologize for wasting your time and apparently mine.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phirepower
Read some my links in this thread, there already are many police across country driving prius
Great, our Police departments supporting a car that is 100% Foreign content and the news from our masters in Japan is they are delaying moving Prius production to the USA.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TT632
Great, our Police departments supporting a car that is 100% Foreign content and the news from our masters in Japan is they are delaying moving Prius production to the USA.
yep we're fucked
Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

We just sold 150 Chargers to Kuwait for police duty.

http://www.eyeofdubai.com/v1/news/newsdetail-25774.htm

Weren't the '08 Crown Vics only sold as service cars? In my opinion, this should've been kept up. One of the Big Three should try and put a lock down on building service specialty vehicles. Dodge seems to be off to a nice start in cornering the current market. We'll see if their as reliable as the trust ol' Panther chassis Fords.

Oh, and I saw the E7 mentioned above. Check out Carbon Motors.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not deaf ears or uncaring it's just it sounds like you're making a mountain out of mole hill, demanding some sort of public out cry. Police departments are a buisness of keeping people safe, and stayin within a budget. And when tax payers and elected goverment officals cry foul, hybrid, don't raise our taxes goverment agencies are left with their hands tied.
If they can't afford a v8 American made car what are they supposed to so? If the Big 3 aren't around what are they supposed to do. It's the times man.
And the big 3 got their money, they'll pull through, the whole point is moot.
Where is your kicking and screaming for the fed ex drivers who will have to give up their box trucks and go with some Import truck. Now they can't carry as many packages because the trucks aren't rated as well, and that means your parts are going to be late. What about those guys?
My last point in an well over exaggeration, but you see my point? Intill there really is a problem a few hybrids on the police force are perfetly fine. Police will not take 100% inferior cars. They will hold their cars, and car manufactures to a high standard, and if people don't want to step up, Honda, Toyota, whoever....then private people will come in a make their own cars, like that one company is doing.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

^ you do make very valid points. I guess my American bias/ disappointment with the way things are going is my only real arguing point. I wish people could rekindle their faith in American made products, but that's probably not going to happen. Just the thought of being 40 (in about 17 years from now) and not having a muscle car to convince me I haven't lost my edge, is disheartening.

Quick Reply: What will replace the police interceptor?