Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV

Nissan Announces New GT-R SpecV Model

TOKYO (Jan. 8, 2009) -- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. today announced a new limited-production Nissan GT-R SpecV model, which goes on sale at seven specially selected Nissan dealers throughout Japan on February 2, 2009. The GT-R SpecV is targeted specifically at enthusiast drivers who desire race car-level performance in a street-legal vehicle.

Developed around the multi-dimensional Nissan GT-R sports car, which was introduced just more than one year ago to universal global acclaim, the new SpecV model builds on the original's "ultimate supercar that anyone can enjoy driving anywhere, at anytime" philosophy - taking it to an entirely new level of "oneness between man and machine." The SpecV model includes unique body, interior and performance equipment and modifications, raising the GT-R's unmatched performance to even higher levels.

The GT-R SpecV's new exterior features include a carbon fiber rear spoiler, a carbon fiber grille, and carbon fiber brake ducts. The SpecV is available exclusively in Ultimate Black Opal (RP) body color. Inside, the SpecV's unique two-seat interior (non-SpecV GT-R models also include a two-place rear seat) offers special Recaro carbon fiber bucket seats, while carbon fiber insets embellish the rear center storage box, instrument panel and other trim areas.

Performance is enhanced with a new high gear boost control device, which momentarily increases boost of the engine's twin turbochargers for greater torque in the intermediate-to-high speed ranges to provide a more powerful feeling of acceleration, while also allowing the engine to operate at a lower speed for improved fuel economy. Other modifications include a titanium-coated exhaust system and carbon-ceramic brakes that provide powerful stopping performance.

The GT-R SpecV is also equipped with lightweight, racing-style forged aluminum wheels that were developed for this model and have been sold by Nissan Motorsports International (NISMO) since September 2008. The lighter unsprung weight provided by the new wheels, together with the enhanced braking capability, an exclusive suspension and high-grip tires, combine to deliver the SpecV's exceptional performance.

The SpecV will be sold at the following seven dealer outlets, each of which is staffed by mechanics with special GT-R SpecV training and who are knowledgeable of racing circuit driving.

Dealer outlets selling the SpecV
Ibaraki Nissan Sales Co., Ltd. Mito Sennami Outlet
Nissan Prince Tokyo Sales Co., Ltd. Kamedo Outlet
Nissan Prince Nagoya Sales Co., Ltd. Fukiage Outlet
Nissan Prince Osaka Sales Co., Ltd. Horie Kawaguchi Outlet
Nissan Prince Hyogo Sales Co., Ltd. Nada Outlet
Nissan Prince Kagawa Sales Co., Ltd. Takamatsu Outlet
Yamaguchi Nissan Sales Co., Ltd. Ogori Interchange Outlet

Suggested nationwide retail price (including consumption tax) 15,750,000 yen.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oink oink its still a pig and they still aint done anyything about that weak *** tranny
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

It's nice
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Harry, I like it. Little added touches make the car overall look better. I bet it cost as much as a ZR1 with the performance of a Z06
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I bet it cost as much as a ZR1
Way, way more than that.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the deal with those rotors? Look dirty or scratched or something.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OnyxY2KSS
whats the deal with those rotors? Look dirty or scratched or something.
Not sure if you're kidding around or not but they are the high dollar carbon/ceramic type rotors much like the ones on the Corvette ZR-1 and Ferrari Enzo and optional on some Porsche models.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Not sure if you're kidding around or not but they are the high dollar carbon/ceramic type rotors much like the ones on the Corvette ZR-1 and Ferrari Enzo and optional on some Porsche models.
Heh, not kidding, , guess I've just never seen them up close.

Silicon Carbide?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Japanese super car to me. Ugly black wheels + 2 turbos + lots of CF + huge wing + body kit = a import lovers perfect dream car.

But once again can the SpecV perform to its hype? Nope not for 160k.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
oink oink its still a pig and they still aint done anyything about that weak *** tranny
Trans failures have only occurred over long periods of launches(Lc). The trans has never failed during regular launches or track/autocross periods.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

You make it sound like transmission failures from stock power are acceptable.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 25psi
Trans failures have only occurred over long periods of launches(Lc). The trans has never failed during regular launches or track/autocross periods.
Ohhhh, so they only break when you launch hard? So I should be fine if I don't wanna go fast. That's good to know.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
You make it sound like transmission failures from stock power are acceptable.
When you are consistently dumping an awd car at 4500rpms something is bound to break. It happened with the Veyron(same company BorgWarner makes GTR trans), Evo, STI and Porsche.

GM refuses to warranty stock Z06 for track usage:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ted-by-gm.html

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM. This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

In any event, how they can know that the blown engine was "a result" of an arguable racing activity is difficult to fathom if they haven't taken the engine apart to see why it failed.
How is this any different the what Nissan is doing? Secondly, Nissan explains in the owners manual and in person what the intended use of launch control is for.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something doesn't sound right here. I lost the engine in my ZO6 while at a driving school at VIR over Memorial Day this year. I had it towed to the dealer, and I was totally honest in every aspect of the incident. Mine was a low oil pressure induced failure. A main bearing was definitely involved, because it was audible by the time I got back to the paddock area after seeing the warning and feeling the power loss. The dealer knew all the details, including where I was and what I was doing. The car went back to Bowling Green three days later, and the engine was replaced under warranty. The service at both the dealership and factory was exceptional. They verified that my car was stock, and did a computer scan to verify no tune or other tampering. I was told that if a tune had been detected, the claim would have been denied. Of course, a denied claim is not the end of the process, and the customer might ultimately prevail, but it could be a very big problem. The Museum sponsors its own DE schools, with factory folks in attendance and participating. So again, a denied claim based only on participating in a DE event sounds wrong, assuming the car is stock.

At the time my car was in BG for engine replacement, there were 7 or 8 other ZO6's in line for new engines also. I got rid of the car shortly thereafter, because I could not get any information from the factory about either the problem with my engine, or, if there was a common problem that would have just been repeated in the new motor. But the rate of failures at that time suggested to me that a problem existed. If the larger sump proves to be the fix, and assuming GM and Corvette survive, I may buy another one next year.
So the GTR is not the only car exempt from issues.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

the z06 dont snap a rearend every 20 launchers either.

sorry nissan nice car, fast and all but they got a big problem they need to deal with end of story
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

the z06 dont snap a rearend every 20 launchers either.

sorry nissan nice car, fast and all but they got a big problem they need to deal with end of story
The trans is strong enough to hold 100+lc and 600hp, so how is that not strong enough? Eventually it did give way, but that was due to track conditions(read up on it)

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27273

The company that did the testing wanted to see how strong the trans really was. And to me, it exceeded what your impressions of it are.

Pulled the first GT-R sub 1.5 60ft too. 1.497
This is the first year for the car. Of course issues are bound to happen. Just like the roof incidence, engine failures, rear end, rocker arms, etc... all in the C6Z. But this seems to be overlooked because its an import/gtr .
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 25psi
When you are consistently dumping an awd car at 4500rpms something is bound to break. It happened with the Veyron(same company BorgWarner makes GTR trans), Evo, STI and Porsche.

How is this any different the what Nissan is doing? Secondly, Nissan explains in the owners manual and in person what the intended use of launch control is for.
As far as I can tell, the intended use of the launch control is a pretty button you cant touch.

Not warrantying a raced car make sense, cars not being able to use their own feature on an unmodified car without breaking doesn't make sense.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh i know all about the z06 falling apart. however for that much cash and nissan bragging about it so much you'd think they wouldnt put a feature you cant use on it. nor should they have put something in it that broke so easily to begin with. same for the z06
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
As far as I can tell, the intended use of the launch control is a pretty button you cant touch.

Not warrantying a raced car make sense, cars not being able to use their own feature on an unmodified car without breaking doesn't make sense.
It's not a button you push in order to activate lc. You have to go through a sequence of steps in order to activate it. Secondly, Nissan stated to each individual and in the owners manual what the intended use of the lc feature was. If you choose to not obey what the warranty states, then you suffer the consequences. Nissan does not provide sponsorships to individuals! Furthermore, lc is not necessary in order to drive the car or street race.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh i know all about the z06 falling apart. however for that much cash and nissan bragging about it so much you'd think they wouldnt put a feature you cant use on it. nor should they have put something in it that broke so easily to begin with. same for the z06
I understand, but the trans failure has been over hyped by the same trans failure incident being displaced throughout every domestic forum. Again, when did Nissan ever brag about the car? When did Nissan advertise LC?

The first 5 or so Veyrons had the same trans issue. Being that the GTR/Veyron use similar transmission designs, I think BorgWarner needs to take some of the blame instead of Nissan. BW produced both the GTR and Veyron transmissions.

Quick Reply: Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV