Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Disbands High Performance Operations

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teal94Z
Does that mean no GM stage kit for the cobalt ss?
It is my understanding (from discussion with a vendor that has been in contact with GM directly this morning) that the LNF Cobalt SS turbo upgrade package is still a go. Apparently they are being built for GMPP so that means they are unaffected. Kits are supposedly still a couple of months out due to certification, validation, etc.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/19/2...ring/#comments

When General Motors made the announcement yesterday that it was shutting down it High Performance Vehicle Operations, a few questions surfaced about what would happen to the models that haven't hit dealers but are still in the pipeline. While the answers seemed obvious to us (development's done so they're still on the way), GM spokesman Vince Muniga sought to address the concerns of enthusiasts.

Muniga told InsideLine that the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS is coming out and "is not threatened at all." Furthermore, and just as obvious, the Cadillac CTS-V, Cobalt SS and HHR SS will soldier on until their production run ends, and vehicles like the Camaro SS, Corvette ZR1 and Z06 – all of which were developed as regular production models, not through HPVO – are safe.

The 60 or so engineers behind the HPVO team are still receiving paychecks with Wagoner's signature and have begun working on everything from passenger vehicles to crossovers. According to Muniga, "We're not going to let those talents go to waste."
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
The move is more political than anything else.

Yep, they can't ask for money when they still are investing money into cars that don't sell alot... lets face it......... they sell a lot more base cobalts then ZR1's....

Its like them showing up to ask for money and the fly in in corporate jets... it does not look good.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

It's good they clarified the news. What they produced will continue through it's life cycle, just nothing new for the forseeable future.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Jakes Dad;11087091]The truth of matter is GM is no longer running GM. Nancy, Harry, Tom, and perhaps a Dick or two are ie OUR GOVERNMENT

Now GM is being run by the government but not before it was run into the ground by the current executive staff.

But don't worry the high performance auto industry didn't exist in 1962 either. You bought a Nova, you changed the rear to a 4:10 4:11, dropped a 327 into the car with two 4's. You installed a four speed. You bought soft recapped tires. Learning how to do something is always more fun than having a car company hand a finished product to you.

The good old days when engine bays actually had space to work in (you didn't need a lift to work on your car) and cars where fairly simple!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95zpro
Poor leadership at the helm; am I the only one that sees this. A company gets their lead from the top and when you have poor leadership any company will eventually deteriorate!
Bottom line
Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yep, they can't ask for money when they still are investing money into cars that don't sell alot... lets face it......... they sell a lot more base cobalts then ZR1's....

Its like them showing up to ask for money and the fly in in corporate jets... it does not look good.
Look at the hybrid sales numbers for 2008 - they ain't been sellin' a lot either. Base cobalts, sure, but do we really need this top notch engineering talent designing these cars? Maybe I'll start a corporate account with Enterprise...

Regarding the private jet "issue", the execs should have never showed up to "ask for money" - that was their first mistake. Private jets serve a great purpose and help support a decent amount of infrastructure. Its getting old to hear the uneducated public bash anything and everything dealing with "corporate greed and CEOs" and then lamenting the lack of leadership in the same breath. Think about it.

Hell, now we have the .gov "designing" cars. The same geniouses that brought you the __________ crisis {insert crisis of your choice} will now be telling you what you ought to be driving.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Launching!

And don't forget....

They're giving NEW MORTGAGES to people that didn't pay their OLD Mortgages!!!

What the _______ makes ANYBODY think they're going to pay the new one??????

Here comes change alright....
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
well some good might come out of this.. if all the hi-po engineers and designers get shifted over to working on the normal/mundane cars, maybe they wont be so normal after all
Originally Posted by nickate
And don't forget....

They're giving NEW MORTGAGES to people that didn't pay their OLD Mortgages!!!

What the _______ makes ANYBODY think they're going to pay the new one??????

Here comes change alright....
yeah say goodbye wellfare reform too
o and whats that we're going to need another $4trillion for another bail out for the banks cant we all just say no and ask for our share which would be over $300,000 per SSN
Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
well some good might come out of this.. if all the hi-po engineers and designers get shifted over to working on the normal/mundane cars, maybe they wont be so normal after all

yeah say goodbye wellfare reform too
o and whats that we're going to need another $4trillion for another bail out for the banks cant we all just say no and ask for our share which would be over $300,000 per SSN

I'm runnin' to my mailbox RIGHT NOW!!!!

It's all about the control... PUT A HOLD ON PAYROLL TAXES FOR 12 mos.
Oh. but non-workers wouldn't get any. (People drawing unemployment as well as welfare WOULD see it, though.)

Seriously--- shoot a quick email to your congressman.... IF YOU DON'T do anything you have 0 right to bitch.... I'm learning that now with a lot of other bill paying responsible people...

Last edited by nickate; 02-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

FLD report
Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Country is dying. Be happy most of you don't live in MA were Deval Patrick is ruining life to the Nth degree
Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nickate
Seriously--- shoot a quick email to your congressman.... IF YOU DON'T do anything you have 0 right to bitch.... I'm learning that now with a lot of other bill baying responsible people...
argh I just had to type everything out twice since there was some sort of bs error the 1st time but I did email my reps
Old 02-21-2009, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
It is my understanding (from discussion with a vendor that has been in contact with GM directly this morning) that the LNF Cobalt SS turbo upgrade package is still a go. Apparently they are being built for GMPP so that means they are unaffected. Kits are supposedly still a couple of months out due to certification, validation, etc.
i hope so cuz i am buying one in the next few weeks and i want a warranty still
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Im still a little confused on this. Does this mean if GM lasts through the trouble that theyre in there will only be base models of vehicles? Since the v8 Camaro is technically the SS, does this mean it will be canned if it lasts through its current design phase? With the corvette, is it only the ZR1 thats getting the boot or does that include the Z06 too? If they take those out, who is going to want to buy a base model vette or a 6banger camaro?

Edit: Haha not knocking anyone w/ a base vette in that....its still prob faster than my TA
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by phirepower
Country is dying. Be happy most of you don't live in MA were Deval Patrick is ruining life to the Nth degree
I'd be more concerned with the dumb *** Red Sox fans LOL.

Quick Reply: GM Disbands High Performance Operations