Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Got an Idea

Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an Idea

I hope the Domestic auto industry lasts another 100 years.

I've got a new idea of what might have caused some of these problems ie not selling enough vehicles. The top five sellers in the US. Accord, Camry, Impala, Silverado, and F-150. Perhaps not in that order but those five.

How many times have Honda, Totota, GM, and Ford changed the names of those five top sellers?

Everyone knows what to expect when a Camaro is mentioned. Do you think when Caddy still makes Caddies. But they change the model names they confuse the public?

Think of the name changes at Buick, Saturn. Pontiac, and Chevrolet. A non car person bought an S-10, Astro, Cavalier, Citation, etc. etc.. The damn thing ran over 200K. They come in and find Chevrolet doesn't make those any longer; what have you done?

Why change the friggen name of any model? Think, this could be another trap question Remember I sell used cars. I ask for the sale.

Jakes Dad
Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Me too.
And I sure do hope that everyone else feels that way as well for it's demise will in some way/some how touch almost everyone who reads this whether they know it or not.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Remember I sell used cars. I ask for the sale.

Jakes Dad
Obiously not that many cars because you are on this board all day spewing stupid comments left and right.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

there was an article about this a few months back stating the same exact thing. how Ford and Gm both shot themselves in the foot for name changes such as... Ford Taurus became the 500...the S-10 became the colorado...Cavelier became the Cobalt and how these simple name changes directly effected sales. im sure it doesnt help but its not their only problem.
but i do beleive its one of the reasons an Accord is still an Accord and a Camry is still a Camry after 20+years of selling in the states.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Some names that were changed had stigmas attached to them. Taurus was a good name that they turned into an ugly car. Lumina was a ho-hum car (reliable but didnt spark anything with consumers) that they decided to rename back to Impala with the next design. Cavaliers were good cars but GM was going for a fresh start.
Sometimes the changes are good, other times not good. But there is a lot more to a car than the name- GTO for example. The Ford Probe was almost the next Mustang. The last Novas and LeMans'.
Well hey, at least the first Taurus wasn't the LTD III.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maddboost
Obiously not that many cars because you are on this board all day spewing stupid comments left and right.

Thanks I've been waiting for this comment. I don't like to brag, much. The facts are I work 1/2 the hours of everyone else here. Yet sell as many cars as over 1/2 the dealership. I've written 3 car deals today. One person didn't like the interest rate. My fault they don't pay their fXXXXXX bills. One bought, holding for the money they need. One got bought - he has spent the last 45 days trying to beat my deals and fXXXXX his credit score up. I was off at three it's after five pm. My last customer last night just called said he completed the credit application via the internet. I need to find it and mark that vehicle sold if he is any good.

Jakes Dad
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Some names that were changed had stigmas attached to them. Taurus was a good name that they turned into an ugly car. Lumina was a ho-hum car (reliable but didnt spark anything with consumers) that they decided to rename back to Impala with the next design. Cavaliers were good cars but GM was going for a fresh start.
Sometimes the changes are good, other times not good. But there is a lot more to a car than the name- GTO for example. The Ford Probe was almost the next Mustang. The last Novas and LeMans'.
Well hey, at least the first Taurus wasn't the LTD III.
Some of their engines were ok, but I'd say that many people (the NHTSA included) would say that they were kinda crappy overall...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a new idea of what might have caused some of these problems ie not selling enough vehicles. The top five sellers in the US. Accord, Camry, Impala, Silverado, and F-150. Perhaps not in that order but those five.

How many times have Honda, Totota, GM, and Ford changed the names of those five top sellers?

Everyone knows what to expect when a Camaro is mentioned. Do you think when Caddy still makes Caddies. But they change the model names they confuse the public?

Think of the name changes at Buick, Saturn. Pontiac, and Chevrolet. A non car person bought an S-10, Astro, Cavalier, Citation, etc. etc.. The damn thing ran over 200K. They come in and find Chevrolet doesn't make those any longer; what have you done?

Why change the friggen name of any model? Think, this could be another trap question Remember I sell used cars. I ask for the sale.

Jakes Dad
F150
Chevy Silverado
Camry
Ram
Accord
Corolla
Civic

where the best selling cars.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Default Really?

I don't like to brag, much.
Hope that's sarcasm 'cause it sure looks like that's all you're doing.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Some of their engines were ok, but I'd say that many people (the NHTSA included) would say that they were kinda crappy overall...
They certainly weren't perfect, true, but they were also very inexpensive and Chevrolet did still somehow sell a lot of them (along with some Pontiac Sunfires).
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 25psi
F150
Chevy Silverado
Camry
Ram
Accord
Corolla
Civic

Cars.Com 10 Best Selling vehicles

1. Ford F-150 515,513
2. Silverado 465,065
3. Camry 436,617
4. Accord 372,789
5. Corolla 351,007
6. Civic 339,289
7. Altima 269,668
8. Impala 265,840
9. Ram 245,840
10. CR-V 197,279
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Thanks I've been waiting for this comment. I don't like to brag, much. The facts are I work 1/2 the hours of everyone else here. Yet sell as many cars as over 1/2 the dealership. I've written 3 car deals today. One person didn't like the interest rate. My fault they don't pay their fXXXXXX bills. One bought, holding for the money they need. One got bought - he has spent the last 45 days trying to beat my deals and fXXXXX his credit score up. I was off at three it's after five pm. My last customer last night just called said he completed the credit application via the internet. I need to find it and mark that vehicle sold if he is any good.

Jakes Dad
My brother is a finance guy at a Hyundai store...
It's hard to get 2nd-3rd tier folks bought these days NEW OR USED.
He's been doing pretty well in spite of the weak economy but LOTS of people are coming in with CASH?!?!
All I can say is... huh.

Who cares what you do with your time--- at least you're not swapping lies with all the other sales jockies huddling in a corner having a smoke while watching for the next victim to fight over... (I know the deal) lol

Everybody... Take 5 minutes and shoot off a quick email to your congressman telling them how you feel about giving a reprieve to the ones who didn't pay their mortgage the first time... AND ASK THEM WHAT MAKES THEM THINK THEY'RE GOING TO PAY IT NOW!!!????!!!!
:b ang:

Everything we do today our kids are going to have to pay for.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

agreed... but I have feeling the mods don't think this is the place for "those types of discussions" lol
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Default OK. I'll rephrase my view....

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
agreed... but I have feeling the mods don't think this is the place for "those types of discussions" lol
Everyone write your congressman and ask "WHAT CAN I DO TO CHANGE THIS SITUATION WE ARE IN???"
Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Well, I guess I need to start another post.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 25psi
F150
Chevy Silverado
Camry
Ram
Accord
Corolla
Civic

where the best selling vehicles! That is why the domestics are in trouble, when gas prices went up nobody was rushing to buy the F150, Silverado or Ram. What is the 1st domestic car that is on the best selling list? The Taurus, Focus;does anyone know?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95zpro
where the best selling vehicles! That is why the domestics are in trouble, when gas prices went up nobody was rushing to buy the f150, silverado or ram. What is the 1st domestic car that is on the best selling list? The taurus, focus;does anyone know?
shopping cart.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Um what?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Um what?
It was a joke...

There were more new shopping carts sold than new cars last year!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickate
It was a joke...

There were more new shopping carts sold than new cars last year!
Dude you need to chill...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got an Idea