Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Six Cyls in Ls1 power territory

Things are looking good boys!

N Joi

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/r...330-hp-lfx-v6/
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

A step in the right direction, the v6 mustang is one well put together package though. I wonder if they just tried to throw more power at the Camaro, or if they revised the suspension, weight, etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Give me a direct injection v8 please.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still entirely too heavy to compete with an LS1 on just pure straightline speed.

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I know a few platforms are having issues with high HP DI motors. Hope that doesn't become a common theme among all DI motors. I don't know enough about it to say one way or another though.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

But nowhere near in torque delivery territory, which is a key difference.

Every new V6 has to have the **** revved out of it to perform too whereas the V8s old and new are much more effortless.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TriShield

Every new V6 has to have the **** revved out of it to perform too whereas the V8s old and new are much more effortless.
This is true. I have a friend whose mom just boguht a 2011 V6 stang, and we are going to get a run in with a a friends LT1. Z28 has a catback, auto 3.23s and the stang is a 6 speed manual with Roush axleback. Should make for an interesting battle of hp vs tq. Wouldn't mind seeing it vs another friends bolt-on LT1 6 speed either.

Last edited by WSsick; 01-06-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

Peak numbers draw attention and help sell cars. They do not, however, guaranty V6 acceleration that matches a V8 of similar peak rating throughout the full rpm range of a street engine.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-05-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Good news, more power is always good.

Originally Posted by Gaunt

Originally Posted by WSsick
I have a friend whose mom just boguht a 2011 V6 stang, and we are going to get a run in with a a friends LT1. Z28 has a catback, auto 3.23s and the stang is a 6 speed with Roush axleback.
All 2011 Mustangs are 6 speed by the way (but I know you meant 'manual' 6 speed ).
Should be a good race if both drivers are skilled.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Still waiting on both Fomoco and GM to throw the gloves down and put in a boosted 6 into the Camaro and Mustang. I'd love to have one for a swap later
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by WarShrike
Still waiting on both Fomoco and GM to throw the gloves down and put in a boosted 6 into the Camaro and Mustang. I'd love to have one for a swap later
I don't see that happening, unless at some point they find it impossibile to meet CAFE without dropping their V8s.

People buying the V6 versions of these cars are typically prioritizing style, affordability and MPG over performance. People willing to pay more for higher performance will continue to be drawn to the traditional V8, which has made both Camaro and Mustang historically popular.

I don't think the market for an FI V6 Camaro/Mustang is great enough to justify the program, or the dollars it might take away from their respective performance V8 development.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

^CAFE is the only thing I foresee causing any issues unless the govt starts cracking down and making sanctions on cylinder count/displacement...

Competition with V8 sales is what kept the L67 out of the Firebird/Camaro 4th gens. 14's bone stock from a V6 mule at SLP wasn't too bad of a 1/4 time back when they did it in '96-'97...

It would have been a pulley and tune away from probably nailing 13's without breaking a sweat. 12's with proper supporting mods like full exhaust.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Last edited by WarShrike; 01-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's a novel idea, but 330 realistically is way up there for a V6. Sure, it can be done. What will it make to the wheels? Hard to say, but probably less. Competition for an LS1, stock for stock on a drag strip? I can't see it. They're already rated at 312 and only run about 14 flat... That's a far cry from an average LS1. Adding even 25hp won't likely be enough... maybe another 10th or 2 quicker, but not 13.5's.

The Mustang may see more power because of this(trying to match competition)... I don't see 13.5's from it either. I just wonder about the Challenger really... What'll they do over at Dodge, now that they've really bumped output, if the others do it again?? They've GOT to be sick of seeing their product crushed time after time.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The Mustang may see more power because of this(trying to match competition)... I don't see 13.5's from it either.
It is possible though, considering that one magazine already got a 13.7 out of the current 305hp one and that's a 'magazine' ET, a cold day at a sticky track might even top that.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't they put some R&D into weight loss, they can give it all the power in the world but it's still a tank.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It is possible though, considering that one magazine already got a 13.7 out of the current 305hp one and that's a 'magazine' ET, a cold day at a sticky track might even top that.
I'm not saying they can't get it there... They surely could. I'm saying I don't think the company WANTS to, because that dips into V8 sales in a big way. The only way I see any of the three reaching that mark is if they either intend to make their V8 versions MONSTROUS, or they intend to remove the V8 altogether. I mean, if they make a V6 to run low or mid 13's stock and it gets the better economy and the insurance costs less... How many V8's will they sell?

We'd almost be down to supercharged V8 models as the norm, and no current style V8 needed.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch
Why don't they put some R&D into weight loss, they can give it all the power in the world but it's still a tank.
I agree.

I'm not saying they can't get it there... They surely could. I'm saying I don't think the company WANTS to, because that dips into V8 sales in a big way. The only way I see any of the three reaching that mark is if they either intend to make their V8 versions MONSTROUS, or they intend to remove the V8 altogether. I mean, if they make a V6 to run low or mid 13's stock and it gets the better economy and the insurance costs less... How many V8's will they sell?

We'd almost be down to supercharged V8 models as the norm, and no current style V8 needed.
True.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really think this high horsepower v6 thing is kind of silly. I know for a fact that the v6 crowd doesn't really care about being fast, they just want the flash. I remember reading in the current Car And Driver that the 2011 v6 stang was less than a second off the pace of a 2010 V8 Stang GT. All I am saying is there will be a lot of 16 year old girls who don't know how to handle 300+hp, we'll have more wrecked v6 cars, and insurance will go up.

EDIT: Looked up that Lightning Lap thing in Car and Driver, said that the new 2011 v6 stang beat the 2010 V8 GT by 0.8 seconds, and that was with it banging off its 115mph speed limiter for half the lap!!!!! That is sickeningly fast IMO, major props for Ford.

Last edited by AronZ28; 01-06-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Competition with V8 sales is what kept the L67 out of the Firebird/Camaro 4th gens.
I don't know if anyone has ever done the conversion, but will the L67 blower even fit under the cowl of a 4th gen F-body? I'm asking, honestly I don't know....

14's bone stock from a V6 mule at SLP wasn't too bad of a 1/4 time back when they did it in '96-'97...

It would have been a pulley and tune away from probably nailing 13's without breaking a sweat. 12's with proper supporting mods like full exhaust.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
The L67 was a very potent contender, and easily modded for sure. But I don't think it would have swayed many "performance" buyers away from the LS1, nor would it have swayed many L36 buyers to spend more money just for added horsepower. Not saying it wouldn't have sold, but sales would have been very soft.

Just to be clear, I'm not putting the L67 down at all. I had a run with a supercharged Monte SS about 2 years ago, he had a 2.9" pulley, full exhaust, tune, etc. My stock LS1 had no trouble holding him off till about 50-60mph, but then he started pulling pretty good and won the race. Impressive results from an internally stock V6.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-06-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I really think this high horsepower v6 thing is kind of silly. I know for a fact that the v6 crowd doesn't really care about being fast, they just want the flash. I remember reading in the current Car And Driver that the 2011 v6 stang was less than a second off the pace of a 2010 V8 Stang GT. All I am saying is there will be a lot of 16 year old girls who don't know how to handle 300+hp, we'll have more wrecked v6 cars, and insurance will go up.
There are several V6 models of various cars out there now with over 250hp... Boys and girls will crash though, even with 100hp, due to their lack of skill far more than the amount of power the car has.

EDIT: Looked up that Lightning Lap thing in Car and Driver, said that the new 2011 v6 stang beat the 2010 V8 GT by 0.8 seconds, and that was with it banging off its 115mph speed limiter for half the lap!!!!! That is sickeningly fast IMO, major props for Ford.
I added the LL article to this forum and read much of it myself. The V6 stang is almost too impressive for it's price. With the speed limiter removed, it would surely reach 140mph top speed. That said, it hit the limiter for more than 15 seconds per lap as I read it... May as well HAVE been half the lap... Surely that took away from it's performance. I seriously think it may well have been a second quicker, or more without the speed limiter. Too bad though, Ford screwed the pooch on that one and when I 1st read it, I saw 112mph limiter and IMMEDIATELY said, "There's no friggin' WAY I'd buy one with that issue!" Sure, it can be fixed, but that's a mod... One nobody should need.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
All 2011 Mustangs are 6 speed by the way (but I know you meant 'manual' 6 speed ).
Should be a good race if both drivers are skilled.
You got me. I meant manual. I even knew that they were both 6 speeds, just didn't type it in. Thanks.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't see that happening, unless at some point they find it impossibile to meet CAFE without dropping their V8s.

People buying the V6 versions of these cars are typically prioritizing style, affordability and MPG over performance. People willing to pay more for higher performance will continue to be drawn to the traditional V8, which has made both Camaro and Mustang historically popular.

I don't think the market for an FI V6 Camaro/Mustang is great enough to justify the program, or the dollars it might take away from their respective performance V8 development.
I could see a FI V6 coming in something else in GM/Ford's lineup, but not the Camaro/Mustang unless CAFE roots V8s out.

^CAFE is the only thing I foresee causing any issues unless the govt starts cracking down and making sanctions on cylinder count/displacement...

Competition with V8 sales is what kept the L67 out of the Firebird/Camaro 4th gens. 14's bone stock from a V6 mule at SLP wasn't too bad of a 1/4 time back when they did it in '96-'97...

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
There is already a GIANT bitchfest thread in the LT1 section (might have moved) about an L67 4th gen...please don't start that up again.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't know if anyone has ever done the conversion, but will the L67 blower even fit under the cowl of a 4th gen F-body? I'm asking, honestly I don't know....

The L67 was a very potent contender, and easily modded for sure. But I don't think it would have swayed many "performance" buyers away from the LS1, nor would it have swayed many L36 buyers to spend more money just for added horsepower. Not saying it wouldn't have sold, but sales would have been very soft.

Just to be clear, I'm not putting the L67 down at all. I had a run with a supercharged Monte SS about 2 years ago, he had a 2.9" pulley, full exhaust, tune, etc. My stock LS1 had no trouble holding him off till about 50-60mph, but then he started pulling pretty good and won the race. Impressive results from an internally stock V6.
Check previous post about other thread.

Sure, it can be fixed, but that's a mod... One nobody should need.
Might be there because the tires aren't rated any higher.

Quick Reply: Six Cyls in Ls1 power territory