Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Barry Grant Closes the Doors!

here ya go guys...

From PHR

Barry Grant Carburetors: 1985-2011
This just in from Barry Grant. We’re very disappointed to hear that a great company has hit hard times. We wish Barry and his crew the best, and if the automotive aftermarket has its druthers, we suspect BG will reemerge soon, some how and some way. Ironically, FordMuscle get’s this message just two days after finally landing an ad contract with BG (after about 10 years of trying.)

From Barry Grant

As of today, February 18, 2011 we are ceasing operations at our Dahlonega location and all subsidiary locations. Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. I will value your support as friends, customers, vendors, and media contacts forever. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital needed to continue operations and get a chapter 11 reorganization plan through the court. In addition to this, is that all of our equipment has been breaking down causing production delays and further hurting cash flow. Reluctantly now we must convert to chapter 7 liquidation after 26 years of business. The financial collapse has closed, or has caused severe restructuring of many companies in our industry. Many individuals have lost everything. We have even lost our home. This is the most humbling experience of my life, and I have no future plans at this point. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats bad to hear
Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

That's really sad... Really sad.

Best Wishes for Barry & family, and all those who used to have a job. Hopefully everyone will be able to find new employment doing what they love so it never has to feel like work.

Gotta love the economic guru's "running" America(to Hell in a handbasket).
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that's rough to read.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

sign of the times. scary.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I doubt this has as much to do with the economy as it does with the fact his carbs were garbage. I know several people who have had nothing but issues with his stuff. He should have stuck with accessories instead of making carbs.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

They made more than carbs... And it may be the opinion of some that his carbs were junk, but to others, they were outstanding. He didn't become famous and successful for 20+yrs by building/selling junk, after all.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks to here, I've run a few b.g. carbs over the years and not one ever gave me trouble, this is also going back about 10 years, but still always sucks to see a parts company go down
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I am aware of what he made, and I am also aware of his quality issues, his customer service issues. On another board I frequent one of the guys over there knew someone in the company who left a while back because he was on shaky ground financially.

I also know of quite a few people who have had nothing but issues with his stuff. I am sure not every carb was junk, but i know enough people who did get bad ones to keep me from ever considering his carbs. Now, his other products were pretty top notch.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this really sucks to hear. my dad runs a demon carb on his vette and it is outstanding. never have to constantly adjust it like his old holley.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a carb from him once. Throttle would stick 1/4 open because of binding throttle and electric choke linkages. Almost caused a wreck. Called them up, was told "oh, you must have gotten an early development carb, we have fixed that problem with new ones." Asked if they would exchange it and I never heard from them again. Sold it to someone on the super cheap with full disclosure of the problem. He wanted to see if he could make it work. He never got the problem to go away and junked it. I've since been through a few different Holley carbs and have never had a problem. BG was a bankruptcy waiting to happen.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well Holley also filed bankruptcy, so ... I don't think it's the product. Maybe the service or maybe the economy and likely a combination of the two. It isn't because the products are junk.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Well Holley also filed bankruptcy, so ... I don't think it's the product. Maybe the service or maybe the economy and likely a combination of the two. It isn't because the products are junk.
Holley will be back

just like Crane Cams. though Crane went through liquidation then came back so i missed somethin huge there.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think Holley ever closed... The change of hands and company names... common stuff really. Holley is, I think, already out of solvency. The point was, companies we like file for protection as often as the ones we don't. It's often about the way they were running the business rather than the product/s. I think that's the case for BG.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default unfortunate

Opinions will vary about all products...

The unfortunate part is the employees... I knew a few guys over the years that worked there and all were of good character. They took significant paycuts hoping the company would bounce back.. now they are unemployeed.

I work for a manufacturer in the aftermarket specialty automotive field and over the past decade have watched it be go from being a solid career path to questionable, so this hits home pretty hard.

However I think that is happening every where in every field.

The economy is not on the rebound just yet...
Old 02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody saw this coming? Just like companies that made cassette tapes, VCR's, and bias-ply tires....eventually almost every carburetor manufacturer will go out of business, its a nearly dead technology.

I feel sorry for the guy and his employees, but you can't honestly say that you're blindsided by this.

Quick Reply: Barry Grant Closes the Doors!