Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford To Build 6 Speed Auto in China Also

Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford To Build 6 Speed Auto in China Also

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/for...11-05-19-77500

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Ford Motor Co. /quotes/comstock/13*!f/quotes/nls/f F -0.79% on Thursday announced it reached an agreement with its Chinese partners to build the automaker's first transmission plant in China. Changan Ford Mazda Automobile Ltd., or CFMA, Ford's passenger-vehicle joint venture in China, signed a memorandum of understanding for the plant with the Chongqing municipal government, Ford said. The plant, with an initial investment of $350 million to be funded by CFMA, will produce six-speed automatic transmissions with an initial annual capacity of up to 400,000 units, the company said. Ford said the plant is scheduled to break ground in July and start production in the fourth quarter of 2013
I guess they haven't learned.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I think it's more of a market positioning operation. Ford and GM have gotten much more aggressive in the chinese market since china is selling cars like crazy. China has 5 times as many people as the US, so it makes sense to go there. Likewise, i hope the transmissions they build there aren't used in our country if the current getrag problems are any indication.

I'm willing to wager it has something to do with china's BS protectionist policies. Just like they pegged the juan to the dollar three years ago, they have very strict policies regarding who can sell what in their country. If you've been watching the news over the last year there's a big stink brewing because china almost never lets outside contractors do work in their country. They think it's perfectly ok for the US to put thousands of factories in their country to build products to sell here, but it's NOT ok for a company in the US to sell products in their country unless a certain amount of the product is produced there. We tried to suggest something similar to the US's benefit and they about had a heart attack over it.

They're leaches... and pretty bold about it at that. and the WTO just turns a blind eye to it.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Angry

how about hiring some ******* americans and build a trans that doesnt break?

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 05-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 PM
13 Second Truck Club

^^^^^^^ yea no crap
Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

What the **** is wrong with our hands..is there ever gonna be a product that say's made in the USA or are we gonna continue to sale our souls to the devil.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LTXBOI
What the **** is wrong with our hands..is there ever gonna be a product that say's made in the USA or are we gonna continue to sale our souls to the devil.
Our hands cost exponentially more?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Our hands cost exponentially more?
you get what you pay for.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I bet them people with a 2011 5.0 that has been broken down and waiting on warranty work wish they were charged a few hundred more dollars for a quality american made transmission
Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast Caddie
I think it's more of a market positioning operation. Ford and GM have gotten much more aggressive in the chinese market since china is selling cars like crazy. China has 5 times as many people as the US, so it makes sense to go there. Likewise, i hope the transmissions they build there aren't used in our country if the current getrag problems are any indication.

I'm willing to wager it has something to do with china's BS protectionist policies. Just like they pegged the juan to the dollar three years ago, they have very strict policies regarding who can sell what in their country. If you've been watching the news over the last year there's a big stink brewing because china almost never lets outside contractors do work in their country. They think it's perfectly ok for the US to put thousands of factories in their country to build products to sell here, but it's NOT ok for a company in the US to sell products in their country unless a certain amount of the product is produced there. We tried to suggest something similar to the US's benefit and they about had a heart attack over it.

They're leaches... and pretty bold about it at that. and the WTO just turns a blind eye to it.

Yeah china has 5x the people compared to the U.S. but only 1% can even buy a car! F China they can't even make childrens toys right.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

There's plenty of hate going on here... as usual.

For all we know, the transmissions built in that plant will also be installed in vehicles for the Asian or European market and not even come to America. Not really likely to turn out just that way, but it could.

The reality is simple... China has a MASSIVE capacity for automobiles and GM and Ford are "capitalizing" on the opportunity based on RULES implemented by the market they intend to sell hundreds of millions of vehicles in over the next several years or decades.

Anyone thinking only 1% of Chinese people will ever be able to buy a car hasn't been paying attention. Their market has EXPLODED as of late. Just look at GM sales in China for one small example.

The likely deal is that Ford needs to build transmissions, etc. in China to gain market share... It's probably a requirement (to build products there) just to be allowed to sell (sale for some of you) vehicles in that nation, which happens to be the most populated on earth. Why would Ford not answer by producing???? Only a mo-ron would say no.

They also benefit from cheaper labor and overall production costs, PLUS they won't have to be concerned for the USA's ridiculously stupid laws about pollution.

For Chinese people, this will create jobs... That will lead to more of them being able to purchase vehicles... WIN... WIN...

Besides, it seems everyone is ignoring the reality that probably most vehicles made for the past 10+ years don't have American made transmissions. Think about this... All the complaining about "American hands" not getting the work... on an F-body site... How many F-bodies were built in America?????????? And yet we have people in here bitching about a decision Ford just made which will bring profit home to America.

First, we buy a car built in Canada, then we COMPLAIN about a transmission not being made here... Way to go, folks. Hypocrite much????

Even some Allison transmissions are made in Hungary and India... Not to mention the Tremec has long been made in Mexico and others have been made in Germany, Japan, France(6L50, anyone?), etc. for quite some time. Sheesh... You're NOT complaining about that though, are ya!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

fact is china hasnt had a good rep for quality. i understand ford needing to keep costs down but at what price?
Old 05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Teching In

China's auto market has passed the USA's considerably. http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/04/auto...tune/index.htm

Pre-08 market crash, the US averaged around 15 million new auto sales per year, with growth fairly flat. Our market is very consolidated currently, having less than a dozen major manufacturers (some reading of history shows the US had dozens of companies making cars in the early 1900s too). We currently sit at around 11-12M/yr, with forecasts predicting a return to the 15-16M/yr figures in another 4-5 years.

China hit our peak sales figures last year (~15M/yr) and has been growing at a rapid pace. Inflation in chinese wages (and hence, everything) is fueling large demand. From the above article, china has over 80 auto manufacturers. While many are "partnered" with US companies, we all know it's mainly a technology sharing adventure with little direct benefit to the american public. Still an infant market though.

I'm just hoping that we can get some direct benefit from it in terms of manufacturing jobs. At some point china's domestic manufacturers just won't be able to keep up, hopefully opening the door for imports produced by us. The chinese are starting to get on board with the environmental movement and we're light years ahead in that department (emissions, fuel economy, etc).

I just don't want to see automotive products produced over there being sold here. For both economic and quality reasons. I'm not sure if china even has national standards for quality like we do (ANSI, ASME, SAE, etc).
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

We are no more skilled at assembling things with our hands than the Chinese and visa versa.

The problem is, the cost cutting doesn't stop at the cheap labor...
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

for some reason... i see ford stocks falling because of this
Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Think about this... All the complaining about "American hands" not getting the work... on an F-body site... How many F-bodies were built in America??????????
Up until model year 1993, ALL of them were.
Maybe some of the complaining here is because people don't want to see even more poducts that were once built in the U.S. moved to another nation like the Camaro was?
Not that I view Canada in the same way that I view China or even Japan, it is afterall still North American soil. And the Camaro plant is mere miles from the U.S. border. But yes, Canada still isn't the U.S.

Originally Posted by It'llrun
First, we buy a car built in Canada, then we COMPLAIN about a transmission not being made here... Way to go, folks. Hypocrite much????
Well hold on there now.
Is a parent that smokes cigarettes yet tells their kids not to smoke a hypocrite? Or are they actually looking out for their child's well being and teaching them to NOT make the same mistakes they made?
Is a married man who tells others not to get married a hypocrite, or someone simply looking out for his friend because he's seen first hand the misery that many marriages have caused?
If I once put Slick 50 engine treatment in my car and now warn others against using it, am I a hypocrite?
Many people don't like the fact that F-bodies (or even other products) were/are not assembled (though done so with MANY U.S. sourced components I might add) on actual U.S. soil any longer and THAT'S perhaps why they balk at the idea of even more products following the very same path. It's not to be hypocritical about it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 7998
heres what i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsoi7Mwstic

LMAO
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Up until model year 1993, ALL of them were.
Maybe some of the complaining here is because people don't want to see even more poducts that were once built in the U.S. moved to another nation like the Camaro was?
Not that I view Canada in the same way that I view China or even Japan, it is afterall still North American soil. And the Camaro plant is mere miles from the U.S. border. But yes, Canada still isn't the U.S.

Well hold on there now.
Is a parent that smokes cigarettes yet tells their kids not to smoke a hypocrite? Or are they actually looking out for their child's well being and teaching them to NOT make the same mistakes they made?
Is a married man who tells others not to get married a hypocrite, or someone simply looking out for his friend because he's seen first hand the misery that many marriages have caused?
If I once put Slick 50 engine treatment in my car and now warn others against using it, am I a hypocrite?
Many people don't like the fact that F-bodies (or even other products) were/are not assembled (though done so with MANY U.S. sourced components I might add) on actual U.S. soil any longer and THAT'S perhaps why they balk at the idea of even more products following the very same path. It's not to be hypocritical about it.
exactly man. no one is being hypocritical or hateful.

me and others just dont think its a good move considering fords current situation with building parts in china.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
...no one is being hypocritical or hateful...
My cousin and his wife adopted a beautiful Chinese girl a few years ago. I have no problems with the Chinese people.

My problem is with the Chinese government. People in China do not have the right to vote, freedom of speech or religion, and are not afforded due process of law such as the right to a trial by jury. The list goes on, and on....

Communism wrapped in an American flag is still communism.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I have no problem with the chinese people either and I believe they can do the same quality work as Americans. However China doesnt have the quality control on some of the products they produce and we have no way to hold thier feet to the fire so to speak when items are made with sub par materials. Such as the chinese drywall and all the toys that came from that area. I work in industrial areas and use several various types of rigging for heavy lifts. In some of the plants I work in Chinese made rigging components are not allowed. The reason is here in the USA lifting components are rated at 1/5 of their failure weight and the US rules says that all rigging sold should be also. However some Chinese shackles had failures and some were tested and failed at or under thier rated weight. People dont understand that its not a hatred against China its just they can make whatever junk with hazardous mateirals and sale them to us with little or no recourse and bleeding hearts here say oh its just business and cost cutting is a part of business.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

i remember yrs. ago there was a bunch of BS going on how the chinese were going to sell cars here for 15k and put everyone out of business.

too bad it wouldve cost another 15k to have them pass emission and safety stds. theres no one selling chinese cars in this area. LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford To Build 6 Speed Auto in China Also