Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Dodge Ram 5500 Long-Hauler Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Revealed - Dodge Ram 5500 Long-Hauler Diesel

Ram "Long-Hauler" Truck Truly a Dream Vehicle for Hauling, Range and Comfort

May 2, 2011 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - They don't get much bigger, have more range or more pulling power than the Ram "Long-Hauler" truck.

On display at selected events across the country, the Ram Long-Hauler is based on a Class 5 Ram 5500 Chassis Cab, and is designed to suit the needs of anyone that tows multiple or heavy trailers, drives long distances or small business owners looking for a "work horse" at the job site.

Designers started with a Class 5 Ram 5500 Crew Cab and converted to a Mega Cab passenger compartment, added an 8-foot box and upped the range between refueling stops with a mid-ship fuel tank. Combined with a second frame-mounted tank and a third, optional, bed-mounted auxiliary tank, total fuel capacity is 170 gallons.

With a 197.4 – inch wheelbase and 37,500 Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR), the concept Long-Hauler from Ram is just the truck for those wanting to step up from a traditional Class 3 (one-ton) or Class 4 truck. Overall length of the Ram Long-Hauler is 24 feet, height is 79.1 inches and estimated curb weight is 9,300 lbs.

The powertrain for the truck includes an inline six-cylinder 6.7-liter High Output Cummins Turbo Diesel engine rated at 800 lb.-ft. of torque. The Ram's legendary diesel engine is mated to a six-speed, Aisin AS68RC automatic transmission with four-wheel-drive transfer case coupled to a 4.88 Dana 110 axle with dual rear wheels.

Riding on a full Kelderman Air Suspension front and rear and 19.5-inch Alcoa aluminum wheels, on-road driving dynamics are civilized and even the toughest road surfaces are easily absorbed providing the driver and passengers with a smooth, comfortable ride. In fact Ram Long-Hauler's ride qualities are more inline with those of a 3/4-ton truck. The suspension package also is self-leveling with kneel feature.

On the exterior, brilliant black paint is accented by white gold metallic lower two-tone including body side moldings and wide wheel flares at the front and rear. Up front, an optional bull bar extends the entire width of the vehicle. For full use of the bed, the spare tire is located under the box. To help make trailer line-up easier on the fifth wheel, a separate back-up camera provides a full view of the bed. A custom hitch-access tailgate allows easy hook-ups without the need to open or remove the entire tailgate.

Inside, interior noise levels have been heavily dampened with an upgraded NVH package that ensures a quiet cabin environment. The Long-Hauler includes 2+2 leather seating with a specific, high comfort driver seat. Rear passenger comfort is assured with power-adjustable footrests and a rear center console that includes a refrigerator, cup holders and tray tables.

In-cabin power includes 115V and 12V outlets front and rear. With the interior Wi-Fi enabled, passengers can easily work on laptop computers connected to the Internet during long drives.

Additional cabin features also include a laptop storage area and a safe for valuables. Interior items designed to keep the driver monitoring of vehicle performance will include a tire pressure monitoring system, rear axle temperature gauge and exhaust gas temperature and boost gauges. Convenience features also include an inductive charger and DVD player with overhead screen for rear seat passengers to enjoy their favorite programs and entertainment. The rear seats and console also fold flat for additional storage or as a berth for resting.

Ram Truck has identified a potential market for a Class 5 pickup, including race car teams, car haulers, RV owners, ranchers and rodeo competitors, boaters and commercial expediting operations.

The Ram Long-Hauler will be seen across the country in the next eight months to help gauge public opinion on the appeal of a vehicle that provides an upgrade from a 1-ton truck without moving up to a full Class 6 truck.

Tentative show schedule for the Ram Long-Hauler:

Kentucky Derby
Louisville, Ky.
5/05 – 5/07

Turbo Diesel Register Rally
Columbus, Ind.
6/10 – 6/11

Rodeo Circuit
July/August

Farm Progress Show
Decatur, Ill.
8/31 – 9/02

Husker Harvest
Grand Island, Neb.
9/13 – 9/15

NTEA New Product Conference
Dearborn, Mich.
9/19 – 9/19

Sunbelt Expo
Moultrie, Ga.
10/18 – 10/20

National R.V. Show
Louisville, Ky.
11/29 -- 12/1
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Nobody caters to niches quite like Chrysler.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Now that is a Dodge truck that I would own. Looks very well thought out, without all the usual gaudy crap Chrysler throws on some of their "concept" vehicles. Wonder if the kelderman suspension would make it to production, thats a very expensive suspension setup to get aftermarket. I bet the MSRP on that thing is close to 80K...
Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like it. That drives console looks pimp. I hate to have to fill up a 170 gallon fuel tank, It would need to come with a lavatory too if your only stopping for fuel every 170 gallons. But I guess that depends on the gall millage, which I'm guessing is probably fairy poor, especially when pulling a full payload. But still a sexy truck no he less.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

I like it, except the oversized *****. This is a truck well designed for "Hot Shot" runs and those who haul small loads of livestock or a 3-5 car trailer(like Hot Shot) or just someone who wants to(and can afford to) drive across the country for whatever reason. The average Class 8/9(semi) holds about 2-300 gallons and can run as many as 1700 miles between fuel stops. This thing will probably get 10-12mpg, giving it the same basic range with the optional 3 tank set up.

The fridge is a great idea, but I'm left wondering what the rear interior compartment looks like. A fridge and a bed will take plenty of space and this fridge is undoubtedly small, considering it fits the "fold flat" design for the "sleeper" compartment. I've seen guys set up their 1tons similarly, so I know it can be done... just not sure how convenient the full list of equipment really is.

If I were still running like I used to, this one would DEFINITELY be on my list for consideration. Since it's a 5500, the odds are good it could fill the spot of any current 1 1/4 ton or 1 ton on the market. While the price will be seriously high, this could sell well and I'm really glad to see Dodge didn't break out a 1 ton for all this because that would never sell well... All the hauling capacity would be diminished. Can't knock the Cummins engine either. This is looking like an excellent package. KUDOS DODGE!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how you'd service one of those.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DicN
I wonder how you'd service one of those.
No idea, but do you know how awesome that would be for Texas next year? If we could get the right kind of trailer, and get several cars, plus nice and roomy in the back for that long *** drive out to Houston.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
***Repost Police***

I bet moms are gonna be dropping their kids off at school and going to the grocery store in these
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I bet moms are gonna be dropping their kids off at school and going to the grocery store in these
Not with the high price tag that is associated with these things. Hell, my dad's 07 F350 KR retailed at like 57k, this has got to be more. Soccer moms will still go for SUV's, maybe a used Excursion at the most.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
***Repost Police***

Oh I don't think they will be purchased for that reason, I just think it's gonna happen quite a bit. Especially in Texas, in a few years. I've seen TONS of single moms driving around in V10 Excursions.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I think its pretty killer. I just buy a big rig and be done.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Oh I don't think they will be purchased for that reason, I just think it's gonna happen quite a bit. Especially in Texas, in a few years. I've seen TONS of single moms driving around in V10 Excursions.
Oh it COULD happen. I mean, if I had one for multiple, "proper" purposes, but my wife wanted to borrow it to take my kid and others kids to football practice or whatever, why not? I just hope with that turn radius people will be able know what to do...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

now that's a dodge I would drive !

I love the idea and it's crazy dodge has really been steping up the game makes me consider getting a dodge soon...............maybe
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
I think its pretty killer. I just buy a big rig and be done.
Have you priced a tractor lately? 80k is cheeeeeap compared to any new Class 8, or even 6, with a sleeper. Just running those big trucks can cost big money and none of them get over 10mpg with a load. Anyone who thinks 170 gal of fuel would be expensive should consider what 300 is like, at 8mpg. Unless hauling large loads is your living, I don't think that would be a good trade off, and that's why I think this one would sell well.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
10 second playa

Engine...Check
Chassis...Check

My question is....how is that Aisin AS68RC automatic transmission?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I am not a Dodge nor a truck fan. Came into this thread with the full intention of being critical -- hold that thought because -- I still can't think of one bad thing to say about that vehicle. It is purely amazing.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Have you priced a tractor lately? 80k is cheeeeeap compared to any new Class 8, or even 6, with a sleeper. Just running those big trucks can cost big money and none of them get over 10mpg with a load. Anyone who thinks 170 gal of fuel would be expensive should consider what 300 is like, at 8mpg. Unless hauling large loads is your living, I don't think that would be a good trade off, and that's why I think this one would sell well.
I fully understand and wasnt serious. I cant afford a normal extended cab cummins. I think all these trucks are overprice anyways and couldnt imagine spending 50k on a truck.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thats one big, mean SOB. Not practical for DD though.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure the F450 offers all those features as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thats one big, mean SOB. Not practical for DD though.
thats not what its "Meant" for LOL

Quick Reply: Revealed - Dodge Ram 5500 Long-Hauler Diesel