Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Want a new Caprice? Head to Maryland

Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want a new Caprice? Head to Maryland

http://jalopnik.com/5815228/chevy-de...ice-police-car

Chevy dealer will sell you a new Caprice police car
Justin Hyde —When Chevrolet announced last year it would import the Australian-built Chevy Caprice sedan as police-only fleet car, enthusiasts begged for a civilian version to no avail. Now one Maryland dealer says it will buck GM and sell 13 Caprices to the public. UPDATE: It's legit — but not for long.
In its advertising touting the models, Criswell Chevrolet of Gaithersburg, Md., touts the car's similarity to the cancelled Pontiac G8, its 355-hp V8 and its performance in Michigan State Police tests. The dealer has specially outfitted 13 detective sedans with additional features for public consumption, such as power windows and power seats. The list prices run from $31,000 to $37,000 — not a bad price considering GM's only other rear-wheel-drive, V8-powered sedan is the $67,000 Cadillac CTS-V.

Full sizeWhile GM has said it was strictly limiting the Caprice only to law enforcement agencies, it's not clear what would keep Criswell or another dealer from selling them to the public. GM has to certify the Caprice to all U.S. standards of crashworthiness, pollution and fuel efficiency, just as it does with the Chevy Captiva, the old Saturn Vue it sells only to rental fleets. But the Caprice isn't listed in government databases for fuel economy ratings and crash tests; the efficiency data in particular is required to be displayed on window stickers.

We've got calls into GM and the dealer to see how this is possible, but 13 lucky buyers might be the envy of their local cop shops — or more if other dealers can pull the same trick.

UPDATED: Criswell's sale is legit thanks to a sharp-eyed reading of contracts, and an oversight by GM.

The Caprice is the first vehicle GM has sold in decades that's supposed to be limited exclusively to police departments. But GM didn't explicitly say in the Caprice sales contracts with its dealers that the car could only be sold to law enforcement agencies. That means Criswell — or any other dealer with a Caprice on its lot today — is free to sell them to whomever has the money.

Unfortunately for Caprice fans, Criswell's sale has made GM aware of its mistake, and all future contracts will carry GM's public sale ban. A few lucky Caprice fans will be able to buy one new; the rest will have to wait a year or two for a high-mileage version to cross an auction block.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

i dont understand why they wont build a public version. its obvious theres a market for them
Old 06-25-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camAro242
i dont understand why they wont build a public version. its obvious theres a market for them
What he said.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I agree, but I'm betting that soon they will.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The dealership put tacky chrome trim and wheels on them.

They look much better plain as intended. I'm sure G8 owners will be very interested in swapping in the new Holden iQ system (the center stack) which all Caprices have.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The exterior design is horrible. The G8 looks much better. I even like the Pontiac steering wheel better. Center stack is nicer here though.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The exterior design is horrible. The G8 looks much better. I even like the Pontiac steering wheel better. Center stack is nicer here though.
i dont think they look great either.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM
***Repost Police***

If it were that obvious, then people would have bought the G8/GTO in larger numbers. Now I do think there is a market for these cars, but I think it's smaller than some believe it is. I'll take a real Caprice SS 6spd (like they could make with this car) personally
Old 06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Make it a 2 door drop top and I'm in. I'm looking for something more comfortable and my only choices are a CLK or XK8. Yes I know the new Camaro and Mustang are out there but I want something a little more relaxed.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome, Criswell Chevrolet, I drive by that dealer all the time.

Not feeling it too much though from the pics, the wheels that are on the cars in the posted pics are absolutely hideous, looks like it's going to be a pretty lame car besides the motor. I still would like to see it in person though.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hideous.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would be better if they were painted black and white
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z Fury
It's a Pontiac G8 with a few more inches in the back, everything good about the G8 from ride, to handling, to braking to monster acceleration to structural stiffness and quality build throughout this car has with numerous improvements over the G8. The steering wheel and everything else in the interior aside from the center stack and lumbar shape are the same as the G8 as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
would be better if they were painted black and white
GM offers two versions for government and police duty. The 9C1 model is the one that comes painted black and white. The 9C3 which is what this dealer is selling comes in normal colors and is meant for undercover work and to blend in.

PPV 9C1

Undercover 9C3

The 9C3 is intended to not be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD2Aj...layer_embedded

...until it lights your *** up from behind.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Chevrolet Caprice versus Pontiac G8: the major differences

•Stretched wheelbase with more rear leg room and trunk space.
•Base Holden Commodore Omega interior similar to the Pontiac G8 V6 interior. Black plastic door handles. Black plastic side mirrors. Black plastic fender inserts in place of side indicators.
•New front seat design upholstered in more durable material and with space for gun belts.
•Doors open wider to make ingress/egress easier as well as putting the 'perp' in the back.
•Foot park brake (PPV only).
•Door-mounted front window switches (PPV only).
•Relocated auto transmission shifter (PPV only).
•New front bumper cover, with side reflectors and a higher, chiseled lip for better ground clearance and approach angle.
•Raised FE2 suspension (dubbed FB3) that is 25mm higher than standard.
•Bigger front brakes (disc diameter up from 321mm to 345mm, pad area up from 4296mm2 to 6167mm2).
•Wider front track 4mm each side (rim offset change).
•New heavy duty front knuckle control arms, ball joint, steering tie rod ends, and steering gear attachment to sub frame (for off-road driving and curb strikes).
•Extra welding for an even stiffer body and structure.
•Single tip exhaust mufflers.
•Larger, more visible incandescent tail-lights.
•Weight distribution 51/49 with optional full size spare.
•Much larger power steering, transmission and engine oil coolers.
•High output fuel pump for increased fuel pressure.
•Dual-batteries with high output charging system.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Wow this looks so half ***. It looks like a watered down version of the G8. Maybe b/c it's a government car and their keeping the options and what not to the minimum, idk but this looks like an amazing car(G8) having been turned into a disgrace. I really hope this is just the cops version of the car and not the real thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
Chevrolet Caprice versus Pontiac G8: the major differences

•Stretched wheelbase with more rear leg room and trunk space.
•Base Holden Commodore Omega interior similar to the Pontiac G8 V6 interior. Black plastic door handles. Black plastic side mirrors. Black plastic fender inserts in place of side indicators.
•New front seat design upholstered in more durable material and with space for gun belts.
•Doors open wider to make ingress/egress easier as well as putting the 'perp' in the back.
•Foot park brake (PPV only).
•Door-mounted front window switches (PPV only).
•Relocated auto transmission shifter (PPV only).
•New front bumper cover, with side reflectors and a higher, chiseled lip for better ground clearance and approach angle.
•Raised FE2 suspension (dubbed FB3) that is 25mm higher than standard.
•Bigger front brakes (disc diameter up from 321mm to 345mm, pad area up from 4296mm2 to 6167mm2).
•Wider front track 4mm each side (rim offset change).
•New heavy duty front knuckle control arms, ball joint, steering tie rod ends, and steering gear attachment to sub frame (for off-road driving and curb strikes).
•Extra welding for an even stiffer body and structure.
•Single tip exhaust mufflers.
•Larger, more visible incandescent tail-lights.
•Weight distribution 51/49 with optional full size spare.
•Much larger power steering, transmission and engine oil coolers.
•High output fuel pump for increased fuel pressure.
•Dual-batteries with high output charging system.
Caprice based on the Statesman? Larger vehicle than the Commodore based G8 by more than a few inches.

Last edited by Felix C; 06-28-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

nice lookin car
Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Launching!

..and finally something that's not the size of a womans handbag..
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That things looks horrid. They probably realize the public would much rather a g8, hell i wouldnt even consider the caprice over the g8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want a new Caprice? Head to Maryland