Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Cadillac Cue Technology!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New Cadillac Cue Technology!

This is the new technology that will be in the new 2012 Cadillac XTS, ATS and SRX. Pretty mind blowing.... Def can't wait to experience it. Luxury at its best!

http://youtu.be/JvzIrzFFH_Y

Integrates interior design with industry-first control, command technologies
Natural voice recognition, fewer buttons, larger icons, greater customization
Central instrument panel features fully capacitive faceplate, vibrant 8-inch LCD touch screen with proximity sensing, multi-touch hand gestures
3.5 times more processing power than current systems
SAN DIEGO – Cadillac CUE, a comprehensive in-vehicle experience that merges intuitive design with auto industry-first controls and commands for information and entertainment data, will benefit consumers by offering personalized, connected driving beginning in 2012.

“CUE will transform personal transportation by simply and efficiently integrating luxury design and instinctive technology with unparalleled levels of customized in-vehicle connectivity,” Don Butler, Vice President, Cadillac Marketing, announced at the CTIA Wireless Association’s Enterprise and Applications conference.

CUE will debut in 2012 in the Cadillac XTS and ATS luxury sedans and SRX luxury crossover. CUE is designed to be unique for each consumer, from the “simple user” to the fully connected “super user.”

“For the tech-savvy, it’s everything you want it to be – a full suite of infotainment, navigation and communication tools that keeps you fully connected. For the tech-averse, its power is remarkably simple, intuitive and accessible,” Butler said.

CUE, which stands for Cadillac User Experience, will pair entertainment and information data from up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices, USBs, SD cards and MP3 players with a vehicle infotainment system that reduces complexity through customized information, natural voice commands and fewer buttons and larger icons.

For example, most of today’s luxury cars have around 20 buttons controlling the radio and entertainment functions. CUE reduces that to just four buttons.

“CUE doesn’t replace your smartphone or your iPod™,” said Micky Bly, executive director, Global Electric Systems, Infotainment and Electrification. “Rather it allows consumers to securely store those mobile devices while channeling the information on those devices, along with your navigation tools, weather maps with Doppler radar, AM/FM and XM radio, instant messages and emails, through a central portal in your Cadillac, keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.”

The heart of CUE is the 8-inch LCD touch screen, seamlessly integrated into the top of the central instrument panel and a motorized fully capacitive faceplate at the bottom concealing a 1.8L storage area.

The vibrant LCD screen displays CUE’s home page, which resembles a smart phone’s screen by using large, easy-to-target icons to execute commands. Capacitive refers to using electrodes to sense the conductive properties of objects, such as a finger.

“CUE is a very elegant in-vehicle hub of all the information and entertainment in your life. All of CUE’s controls use the same design vernacdumular to create a harmony unique to Cadillac,” said Dave Lyon, executive director, Cadillac Interior Design. “Vibrant colors, a piano black face plate, precision-milled buttons, intuitive touch screen placement and sculpted front console provide a spacious, fashion-forward cabin.”

To improve simplicity and connectivity for consumers, CUE will feature several auto industry firsts.

Proximity Sensing: As the user’s hand approaches the LCD screen, command icons appear. Icons can be customized and arranged by consumers to improve ease of use.
Haptic Feedback: Buttons on the fully capacitive faceplate pulse when pressed to acknowledge the driver’s commands and helps keep the driver’s eyes on the road.
Multi-Touch Hand Gestures: interactive motions (tap, flick, swipe and spread) popularized by smartphones and tablets allow tasks on the LCD screen, such as scrolling lists, zooming maps and searching favorites to be easily accomplished.
12.3 in. LCD reconfigurable gauge cluster (on select models) offers four selectable displays – Simple, Enhanced, Balanced and Performance – that can mix traditional vehicle data such as a speedometer and fuel gauge with navigation, entertainment and 3D vehicle image.
Natural Speech Recognition lets consumers speak logically with fewer specific commands to recall stored media or input navigation destinations. CUE’s text-to-speech feature will also allow consumers to receive text messages by system voice and to send recorded text messages in return.
Linux operating system, “open” software platform and ARM 11 3-core processor, each operating at 400 million of instructions (mips) per second. This hardware setup offers 3.5 times more processing power than current infotainment systems, and allow developers to write applications to CUE that be downloaded by consumers.

“It’s processing speed and power that make CUE so capable,” said Bly.

Connectivity, Control, Convenience
CUE development began in 2008 when Cadillac designers rode with 32 consumers for six months to study driver habits. Engineers and designers then used the data to develop CUE.

CUE’s LCD screen features the driver’s five most frequently used functions stored along the top of the screen. Along the bottom of the screen, users can select up to 60 favorites from music to points of interest, addresses, maps for weather or directions, phone numbers or system commands, such as “tag song.”

Favorites can also be re-ordered and named to be easily recallable.

The steering wheel contains a five-way controller on the right side to navigate the cluster display, a voldumume control and buttons to cycle through favorites, while the five-way controller on the left side manages cruise condumtrol functions, voice recognition, phone hang-up and heated steering wheel.

CUE’s customization and control features are further enhanced through OnStar’s suite of safety, security and connectivity services , such as Turn-by-Turn navigation, Automatic Crash Notification, hands-free calling and the OnStar RemoteLink mobile application.

Key OnStar features are available through CUE’s LCD screen, gauge cluster and steering wheel controls.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is so bad ***,
Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Launching!

This is soooooooooo cool!
I always was a fan of simple setups, but this system.......based on HTML5+Java (so Mods are easy)....."haptic surface"(or whatever it is called) touchscreen....custom dash layout.....I'm in love already.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cadillac for the ******' win. Damn GM needs to start incorperating this stuff into more vehicles and start LEADING the innovation instead of playing catch-up all the time
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NONONONONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I at least hope this works better than that MyFordTouch BS I played with on a new Explorer. This system FORCES you to take your eyes off the road. When you play with your I-phone, you have to devote a good amount of attention to what you are doing, and you must have your eyes glued to the screen.

Not only that, but phone techonolgy changes so quickly. Automobiles have lead times of YEARS, by the time GM gets this on the road in 2012-2013, Apple will have introduced at least two new versions of the Iphone, and it might not look anything like that Cadillac infotainment screen.

Take the Jaguar XF for example, they used the Motorolla Razor for their interior design, that ice blue lighting is EXACTLY like that very outdated phone from 5 years ago.

I also hate the gauge layout with the big screen. Jaguar and Range Rover use similar setups, and IMO it looks downright silly. The gauges look like you're playing a video game, what was ever wrong with trying to make your gauges look like a fancy watch??

And Cadillac acts like its leading, not following. Ford was first with its MyFordTouch, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Mercedes Benz were first with that type of digital gauges. Although the gauge cluster in the now 4 year old S-Class Benz manages to look beautiful and functions great, something I can't say of the British cars. So I'm not dead set against that, it can be executed well.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They are working on voice controls for this system also. It is still being fine tuned.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Whatever Apple does should have no impact on car business, period.
And the great thing about CUE is that if you touch the screen to press a button, you will feel a button under your finger, so you can go by touch and don't have to look down.

I also hate the gauge layout with the big screen.
While I can't stand normal digital gauges, this had me excited. You can change the gauge layout, so that it fits just your desires!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those interiors are awesome, and the 1.8L storage compartment is bigger than most honda engines
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody notice the HUD in the 2nd pic? looks good. Their head up display has come a long way in the last 10 years I know the new Camaro HUD is nice as well
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

what an awesome thing to see right before you die smashing into the back a bus kidding, kidding we all know theres no women in here
Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to seeing how the buying public will respond.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it will be a hit! That interior is really nice. Just gotta worry about the price....
Old 10-16-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
I think it will be a hit! That interior is really nice. Just gotta worry about the price....
Its a Cadillac, price should not be an issue IMO. If this technology bumps the vehicle cost up $500 or $1000 a car, just raise the sticker price. IMO this technology should be very cost effective, I mean I-phones have been out for like 4 years now.

Really this is one of these things that is going to look really cool and be fun to play with in the showroom. Once you buy the car and live with it, its one more annoying piece of overly complex technology.

Now I will say I love my I-phone. Do I text people or play with it while I'm driving?? HELL ******* NO!!!! I wish we all had that same attitude as old German engineers. I'm talking about back in the 80's/90's, when the engineers ran Mercedes Benz and none of their cars had cupholders. "Ve car is not restaurant, vu must concentrate while driving"
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

That is very awesome, I'm more of an analog kinda guy but that really is some crazy high tech stuff.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get why you keep referring it to the Iphone.... It has nothing to do with a Iphone or its technology. Its CUE! haha
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

No THIS is Q lol

Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Don't get why you keep referring it to the Iphone.... It has nothing to do with a Iphone or its technology. Its CUE! haha
I seriously hope you're joking.

Anyways, I've spoke my peace about this. As long as it works a lot better than that myfordtouch bs.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Because the iPhone was the first anything with a touch screen, everything else that uses a touch screen is exactly like an iPhone and should be compared to it as such.

Give me a break. It's not a phone, it's a touch screen interface for controlling various features of the car. The only thing they share is that there is a touch screen.

I agree with Aron. This looks cool an all, but if I have to go through a billion menus just to turn on the freakin radio, or do anything regarding GPS, this is going to be a flop. What's wrong with actual buttons that have dedicated functions that I can remember where they are and adjust things without taking my eyes off the road? Form should follow function, not dictate it, especially when you're driving.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Say whatever the hell you want, but from a design/functionality standpoint this was Cadillac's best radio ever IMO. 5 band eq, manually adustable, don't have to go through a ******* menu like every other new radio after this point. All the buttons are clearly marked, and feel different. Manual tune ****, manually adjustable fader/balance. Honestly I haven't seen a factory radio with a five band eq since this debuted 15-20 years ago. Maybe some high end Benz, Audi, Lexus, and BMW products have a multi-band eq, but I've never been able to figure out the menus to adjust them.

Granted the tape player is rather dated, but put an aux input and a CD player into that button/eq design and it just simply works.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
What's wrong with actual buttons that have dedicated functions that I can remember where they are and adjust things without taking my eyes off the road? Form should follow function, not dictate it, especially when you're driving.
It has the so called "Haptic Feedback", I'm sure it can't be that hard to tune it that it feels like actual buttons.

Quick Reply: New Cadillac Cue Technology!