http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vo...f3Q8puUJEoy.97
Old 12-05-2015, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good start.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to stir up a dreaded "Union vs. Anti-Union" discussion, but didn't the union lose this vote once? Why was a revote held in this case? Just curious if anyone knows. I haven't followed this story closely.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ill try to find some info. if i remember this right the UAW is allowed to try a year after a vote is denied or whatever ect.

so this time around as i started a topic another time (which went well lol) they got enough votes again to have an election.

instead of having a vote for the whole plant they just decided to have the skilled workers vote. of course it came under protest but the NLRB ruled in their favor.

heres a few links so you can piece it together.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 12-08-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory mechanics voted in the union so their pay went up not that they didn't deserve it but when I was there they hardly did anything and they were already making $27 + starting from what I was told. Now that the union is in there some of the line workers think this will help bring the union in for everyone else. If that does then instead of maxing out at $27 being a line worker and working for VW not Aero tech or the other contracted company (I can't think of their name but they mainly do logistics) then they would max out in the high $30s or more.

My brother still works there I did during the summer. So if yall have any questions about what's going on let me know and I can ask my brother who works there...

Edit: maintenance guys not mechanic guys.

Last edited by "MAC"; 12-23-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

the big three just negotiated a new contract with the UAW and top pay is around 30 an hr for assembly line workers after a 3-4 yr period when the contract ends.are you referring to skilled workers that will top out at high 30s?

but when were you let back? lol.

and VW pays ****. what are you talking about? i cant believe they havent voted in the UAW yet.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2011/09/chat-s23.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/29/f...kers-wage-gap/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...orkers/310410/
Old 12-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
the big three just negotiated a new contract with the UAW and top pay is around 30 an hr for assembly line workers after a 3-4 yr period when the contract ends.are you referring to skilled workers that will top out at high 30s?

but when were you let back? lol.

and VW pays ****. what are you talking about? i cant believe they havent voted in the UAW yet.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2011/09/chat-s23.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/29/f...kers-wage-gap/

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...orkers/310410/

When I started in may of this year I started out at $11 an hr on days and $12 an hr for nights. My brother has been working group there for over a year now still with Aero tek and he is making $15 for days and $16 for nights. The pay recently went up. People who work on the line and are VW employees used to top out at like $20 to $25 an hr. Now that the pay went up its a little bit more. You have to go through AeroTek to work at the plant on the assembly line (line workers). Once you're on with VW your pay increases to around $20 an hr now. Yes VW does pay **** compared to other car companies in America. The maintenance guys that come around and fill up the glue or fix the equipment or set up new equipment etc... they have always been paid pretty good money. You have to go to schooling for that though. Also VW upped their prices on their loaner car program as well.

Hell during the summer one maintenance guy put the wrong glue out for the windshields and they had to reinstall new windshields and rear windows for (what I was told by my brother who installs the windshields) 750 cars. It was bad lol

I quit bc of school I was never let go or fired from there.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill try to find some info. if i remember this right the UAW is allowed to try a year after a vote is denied or whatever ect.

so this time around as i started a topic another time (which went well lol) they got enough votes again to have an election.

instead of having a vote for the whole plant they just decided to have the skilled workers vote. of course it came under protest but the NLRB ruled in their favor.

heres a few links so you can piece it together.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
I remember that thread. It was a very colorful debate. LOL.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

colorful. you can say that lol.

you anti union guys can lick your wounds and this is only the beginning. things are changing and people are fed up.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill say one thing that ive thought about on the unions. I can understand a union for big business or corporation's. Because they are not hurting an individual or family owned businesses. When they get involved in taking over a business that someone else took the risk to start is when the sketchy **** starts.
Besides im not anti union. Im anti mob mentality. Let the free market decide if a company can afford a union. But most of that has been decided, hence MADE IN CHINA.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

corp. for the most part are liars and bullies. even small employers act the same way.

then they show their true colors when employees try to organize. as shown vw had politicians interfere and local anti union groups protest near the plant.

RTW is another BS law that makes it very difficult to organize.

what bothers me the most is people support these tactics corp. used to keep unions out and then call unions mobsters. lol,give me a break.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill keep it civil and see if you can change my mind. Is it just straight down party line beliefs? Pro abort, anti gun, anti death penalty, pro gay marriage, socialized medicine, Pro UNION, wear sandals and eat more than your fair share of granola. Seriously. How close are you to these beliefs?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Joking about the sandals and granola. Im honesty curious about the other belifs. LOL
Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

lol,ill keep it to this discussion.

unions are necessary and not just in manufacturing. even highly skilled wealthy people are represented by them. that should tell you something.

corp. have people protecting them. why cant everyone else if they want it?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

colorful. you can say that lol.

you anti union guys can lick your wounds and this is only the beginning. things are changing and people are fed up.
Im not to sure that your right about this. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics you guys have lost 3,000,000 due payers since 1983.http://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm How many of those jobs went to Mexico or some communist country? Or worse, Canada!!
Ive decided in my older years that its a dog eat dog world. Its just hard for me to grasp paying someone to negotiate for me when I would rather let my skills and work ethic do the negotiating. Same reasoning shitty teachers cant be fired and UAW job banks. Give me a break. With that said, If a company goes union and they are making a good enough product that the company can still turn a profit, more power to them.
But Unions are going the way of the dinosaur because of all the offshore products flooding the US. You guys will not be able to compete. The communist have started making better products. Thats a fact.
I will acknowledge that anytime I have had the opportunity to buy a union made product it has always been a quality item. Its expensive but worth it. Except for a Ford, lol. That was a nightmare.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

im betting the UAW will start to gain members. itll be a battle but i think things are changing.

VW pays crap as i stated and if they dont start paying competitively you can bet a union will get voted in.

as far as moving jobs to other countries its impossible to compete with third world wages. that has nothing to do with unions when you can pay next to nothing. thats corp. greed. nothing else.

there is no more job banks so that is irrelevant.

cops,firemen,athletes,teachers are all represented which shows when you stick together everyone benefits not just as few. dog eat dog but the more dogs the more there is to eat.

btw im not "one of them". ive just been around awhile and know what employers and corp. america is really like and you cant fight them alone and yes like it or not it is a fight.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good talk. I definitely see pros and cons on both sides. As you do to. You can't drink all the kool aid. Corporate greed is a definite problem but greed in general is what makes the world go round.
As far as the job banks go, that shows how much they can get by with and it ends up costing the taxpayers.
Teachers, Cops and Fireman striking is a nasty deal. I can completely understand a non-striking union. Not sure how that works but our local REA (Rural Electric Administration ) is a non-striking union. What is their leverage if they dont strike?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

my best friend has worked for the USPS for about 30 years and they cannot strike.

it goes to an arbitrator and its decided from there how much increases ect. they get if they cant come to an agreement.

while he says the same thing you do (about not being able to strike) he makes decent money and retirement ect while his isnt as good as past retirees changes have to come though ive read the post office has been making money recently and parcells have increased quite a bit which is good.

UPS went on strike many years ago and the co. gave in quickly and havent had a strike since. as a matter of fact they get it done ahead of time now. way too much competition to mess around anymore.

they finally learned after many decades of fighting the teamsters take no crap.

i also work in that industry for a non union competitor so im familiar with what he (my friend) and UPS drivers make.

its considerably more when benefits and pension are figured in.

i do ok though. i had my best year ever financially. but im an exceptional worker lol.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A ha. Your the reason FedEx was late with my Christmas present. lol.

Honestly as Ive gotten older and see how hard it is for the common man to make in this ol world, Ive softened up on my stance on Unions. Cause usually you'll receive better pay and benefits than the average worker. And Ill say one more thing and ill quit beating this dead horse. Most Unions eliminate the illegal workers flooding the US, granted probably except for the SEIU. And as I said before the quality of the products are usually some of the best in the world.

Ive seen first hand how a good job changes someones life. Mother-in-law worked 2 and 3 jobs up until about 10 years ago and barley scrapped by until she joined the Teamsters and got a very good paying job for the TVA. If anyone deserved a break it was her.

I wont give you credit for softening me up because my Christmas present was stuck on your truck and I really needed another 50" TV
Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OUCH http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...111-story.html

Quick Reply: skilled trades workers vote in UAW at VW plant