Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Volt sales up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Volt sales up!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...up-in-February

I'm still no fan, but this story(expected to be accurate) is good news for GM, though nothing tremendous.

The overall sales of VOLT have finally eclipsed 10,000! It took far, far too long, but that is done. Otherwise, it's a fairly informative story, for being quite short. One thing that stood out to me is, GM sold only 37 fleet units for the month! That's BIG, considering they sold 1,023 total. On the other hand, it may be bad, because there were big plans to sell to fleets.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...t-sales/406771

They are laying people off and blaming the media. How about making the car a little less expensive you f*cking morons. Who the hell wants to buy a hybrid that starts at 40k.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Who the hell wants to buy a hybrid that starts at 40k.
Especially when the Cruze Eco can be had for half the price, and pull down 40+ highway mpg all day long.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volt is the new edsel.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...t-sales/406771

They are laying people off and blaming the media. How about making the car a little less expensive you f*cking morons. Who the hell wants to buy a hybrid that starts at 40k.
it's not a hybrid. it's an electric car...........
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

That just figures... I think the new FOCUS Electric, maybe not on sale yet, but ALSO slated to start at 40k(39,200 (evidently down a bit)... It's KERAZEEE to spend that much money on this kind of car!

'Let's see... I can buy a Focus for 17k with a 40mpg hwy rating, or I can buy a plug-in version at more than 2 times that price... YES! I'll take the plug-in!'

Which MO-RON is planning THAT little trip??? It's probably notably more technologically advanced than the VOLT, but it had better be, since it's 100% electric. I don't know why they think cars like this are a great idea... they're not. The Volt isn't worth 40k and it's got a gas engine. The Focus sure as Hell isn't worth 40k either, considering it MUST have a fairly limited range.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Why are people so butt hurt about cars like these ?
I hope they sell tons of them.
The more Volts, Leafs, etc on the road means more fossil fuels for me.

Sure you can get a 40mpg Cruze for half the price.You can also get leather in it for half the price of a ES350. By that logic I can get a Nissan Versa for half the price of the Cruze, add leather, Nav and all the other things a ES350 comes with for a few $1000 more. But that's not the point is it?
I would rock a Volt if it made sense for me. I can add Solar panels to my house but I can't build a refinery in my back yard.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

they can't sell em if they ain't buildin' em......

http://www.freep.com/article/2012030...text|FRONTPAGE
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 7998
Why are people so butt hurt about cars like these ?
I hope they sell tons of them.
The more Volts, Leafs, etc on the road means more fossil fuels for me.

Sure you can get a 40mpg Cruze for half the price.You can also get leather in it for half the price of a ES350. By that logic I can get a Nissan Versa for half the price of the Cruze, add leather, Nav and all the other things a ES350 comes with for a few $1000 more. But that's not the point is it?
I would rock a Volt if it made sense for me. I can add Solar panels to my house but I can't build a refinery in my back yard.
The problem many have is simply that TAX DOLLARS are being wasted to not only CREATE these cars, but ALSO to sell them! It burns people up that our government simply THROWS our money away, good after bad, time and time again, day in, day out.

For the 40k spent on a VOLT, I can buy a far nicer car... like a new CORVETTE! Or an Impala if ride or space is my issue. Could even buy a nice new pickup truck. If my interest is TRULY in saving energy, I know I can buy a car which cost much less to produce and thereby, save energy.

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
they can't sell em if they ain't buildin' em......

http://www.freep.com/article/2012030...text|FRONTPAGE
You do realize this is the same story you quoted above, right?

PS... The VOLT is indeed a Hybrid, as it has 2 "propulsion" sources.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the looks of the Volt... & I'm glad GM made something to compete with the Prius. They were just to late on the ball. & yea the price is a lil crazy. But other then that its everything better then a Prius. Plus I have been seeing a lot more Volt commercials on TV so? GM has never really been good with advertising & I've began to notice they've stepped that up a lil bit. But I still think they need a commercial with a story of someone who owns a Volt & how long hes gone without having to fill it up. That right there gets people drawn to it

Which would you rather own?

Last edited by DoggyB22; 03-02-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The problem many have is simply that TAX DOLLARS are being wasted to not only CREATE these cars, but ALSO to sell them! It burns people up that our government simply THROWS our money away, good after bad, time and time again, day in, day out.

For the 40k spent on a VOLT, I can buy a far nicer car... like a new CORVETTE! Or an Impala if ride or space is my issue. Could even buy a nice new pickup truck. If my interest is TRULY in saving energy, I know I can buy a car which cost much less to produce and thereby, save energy.
that's the difference between you & an normal average day person... Your thinking at it all wrong. Yes the price is to much & they did do a survey which showed majority of people who own Volts are richer. But also majority of people who are buying Volts, Prius, Leafs, etc aren't sport/muscle car people. I mean yea Id much rather spend $40k on a Vette as well but that's because what kind of people we are. Either way the Volts price needs to be dropped & in the low $30k range
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with the Volt cost is the fact that it has a ton of tech and the lithium batteries cost a fortune... i hope they sell alot too but i won't be buying one
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by It'llrun

You do realize this is the same story you quoted above, right?

PS... The VOLT is indeed a Hybrid, as it has 2 "propulsion" sources.
DOH!
i didn';t click that link. EDIT.. it just hit me. it's probably a bad thing that they're stopping production for now. why? because they're gonna beg the govt for more money.

i know it's a hybrid.......but they were trying to sell it as an electric car for the longest time.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's not forget that GM lobbied to raise gas pricing so that the Volt would sell.

Generally, it takes a generation (20 yrs) for people to become comfortable w/ change. GM aught to know better than to think the Volt would take off right away. Eventually, the masses will buy battery/electric, hydrogen generator/electric, & gas engine/electric powered cars. It just takes time. Of course hydrogen electric will be the best choice, but, all three types will be available.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

FINALLY Chevy makes a commercial that shows how good the Volts mpg is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAn5...re=uploademail
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Launching!

^ First Ad i've actually seen about the Volt. besides the super bowl one.

Some points:

Yes it costs tax dollars money... Who gives a ****? If they don't spend it on the VOLT im sure the government has another way of spending it so they might as well be spending it on a car that is actually made in america ( Hamtramck plant in Michigan )

As the gas motor is running (if your driving or just idling doesn't matter it's still producing RPMs) it is charging the electric motor.

If your driving home from work and your electric motor is out of charge. and you tell it your going home. the gas motor will charge the electric motor up just enough to where it can kick on and stop using fuel and get you home.

We're trying to use more electric in this country than fuel; I live in the BFE part of Ohio compared to you guys. My closest walmart is 40 miles away and the nearest mcdonalds is a good 25 miles if that says anything and I'm seeing wind mills out here.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
FINALLY Chevy makes a commercial that shows how good the Volts mpg is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAn5...re=uploademail
They should do that same cost analysis, but compare it to a Chevy Cruze eco. See how long it takes the owner of the Volt to recoup the extra money they spent to purchase the Volt over the Cruze.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

It isn't always about the money for some people that buy cars like the volt. They feel good by not buying gas so often or at all if that's possible.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

When's somebody going to do an lsx swap to a volt
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by versz
Some points:

Yes it costs tax dollars money... Who gives a ****? If they don't spend it on the VOLT im sure the government has another way of spending it so they might as well be spending it on a car that is actually made in america ( Hamtramck plant in Michigan )
Who? Millions of Americans who are SICK OF SPENDING! They don't need to spend that money and it's OUR money, not theirs, to spend! I'm tired of giving handouts, even to people in MEEEEEEESHIGAN! Build a better product... People will purchase it as they desire. End of story and it works. If you don't give a ****, it's PROBABLY because you're in that massive group who doesn't pay tax and for whatever sad reason, has no sense of responsibility regarding these things. You probably want a VOLT... so long as its free for you.

Btw, many of the parts used to make the VOLT are made OVER SEAS... Like, the batteries... There's roughly 400 lb of the car made in Korea(or wherever, but NOT in America).

As the gas motor is running (if your driving or just idling doesn't matter it's still producing RPMs) it is charging the electric motor.
That's the sole job of the gas engine, so let's hope that's what it is doing.

If your driving home from work and your electric motor is out of charge. and you tell it your going home. the gas motor will charge the electric motor up just enough to where it can kick on and stop using fuel and get you home.
Where did you hear THAT line of nonsense?

You think you can simply say, "Hey gas engine! I'm going home now, so... uh... just go ahead and charge the battery EXACTLY that much and shut off again so as to not waste any fuel and when I get there, I promise I'll "plug in" for tomorrow!" The video ad you just commented on completely disagrees with this scenario...

Besides, how would you suppose it's moving at all, without using fuel of some sort???

We're trying to use more electric in this country than fuel; I live in the BFE part of Ohio compared to you guys. My closest walmart is 40 miles away and the nearest mcdonalds is a good 25 miles if that says anything and I'm seeing wind mills out here.
Electricity... IS... fuel.

Quick Reply: Volt sales up!