Chrysler & Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne On 60 Minutes

Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chrysler & Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne On 60 Minutes

Watch Sergio Marchionne on last night's 60 Minutes

By Zach Bowman
Posted Mar 26th 2012 12:30PM

CBS' 60 Minutes sat down with Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne last night to discuss the automaker's resurrection and the touch-and-go period in 2009 when the Fiat executive began talks with the federal government over a controlled Chrysler bankruptcy. Marchionne said that when he arrived at Chrysler, the company's employees were all afraid the company wouldn't survive. Now, he says, that fear is gone. The segment explains how Marchionne saw early on how well Chrysler strengths, specifically in minivans and light trucks, could dovetail with Fiat experience in small-car technology. The executive calls Chrysler the "other half" of the Fiat coin from a product perspective.

The segment also spends some time looking at the upcoming Dodge Dart, with Marchionne saying the car is "mechanically outstanding." The executive played a strong hand in improving both Fiat and Chrysler quality, at least according to Consumer Reports. The besweatered Marchionne also spends a bit of time talking about American workers and the labyrinth of bureaucracy within Chrysler when he arrived. Click the logo at the bottom to watch – it's well worth the 13 minutes of your day.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a brilliant, passionate man. Very good watch for anyone who hasn't clicked the link yet.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i saw some of it. he didnt convince me hes going to make chrysler a better brand overall.

i hope he proves me wrong.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

I watched it, very good interview. The guy is pretty amazing IMO. I think Chrysler is in very good hands with this guy leading the way.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Chrysler Barracuda makes possible appearance in 60 Minutes piece

If you haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the full 13-minute CBS "60 Minutes" segment on Chrysler that aired this weekend, we have yet another reason for you to do so.

The good people at Allpar.com seem to have spotted something interesting lurking in the background of an interview with Ralph Gilles, head of design for Chrysler. Look closely, and there's a red sports coupe hanging out just over the executive's shoulder. Allpar.com seems to think this is a glimpse at the rumored Barracuda resurrection. After all, Chrysler made sure to trademark the 'Cuda name earlier this year.

Automotive News took the time to ask Chrysler about the vehicle in the video, and the company very tactfully replied that the vehicle is "just one of the many concepts and projects in our studios. That is one student model."

A student model that may hint to the design of the Barracuda? Possibly.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i saw some of it. he didnt convince me hes going to make chrysler a better brand overall.

i hope he proves me wrong.
Whether this guy makes it a better brand or not, Chrysler is improving immensely.

2009 Dodge Durango

2011 Dodge Durango

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Whether this guy makes it a better brand or not, Chrysler is improving immensely.

2009 Dodge Durango

2011 Dodge Durango

im still waiting for chrysler to climb out from its low quality and reliability rankings its gets every yr. then ill be convinced.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

im still waiting for chrysler to climb out from its low quality and reliability rankings its gets every yr. then ill be convinced.
Ah ignorance. It truly is bliss.

Chrysler is far better than it was in the past, but as you know by adamantly defending everything GM produces, sometimes it takes awhile to shed the bad reputation you spent years earning. A lot of their vehicles are night-and-day better in terms of fit-and-finish as well as durability.

It will take time for the magazines to come around, just like it took them awhile to realize GM wasn't just pushing turds out to keep sales going.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Ah ignorance. It truly is bliss.

Chrysler is far better than it was in the past, but as you know by adamantly defending everything GM produces, sometimes it takes awhile to shed the bad reputation you spent years earning. A lot of their vehicles are night-and-day better in terms of fit-and-finish as well as durability.

It will take time for the magazines to come around, just like it took them awhile to realize GM wasn't just pushing turds out to keep sales going.

wrong. i dont blindly defend GM as you criticize them every chance you get.

perhaps you havent noticed when ive posted car maker quality and reliability ratings and chrysler consistently ranks low regardless of who's reporting it.

fact is GM isnt much better but pretty much everything chrysler makes is garbage at this point. look into it like i have before you respond again.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great interview. Two things that struck me: 1. His office isn't in the Executive Tower; he's down with the engineers. 2. I don't recall any recent Automotive CEO Executive driving one of their products hard like Sergio did in the Alfa (which sounded awesome!!).
Old 03-30-2012, 02:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

wrong. i dont blindly defend GM as you criticize them every chance you get.

perhaps you havent noticed when ive posted car maker quality and reliability ratings and chrysler consistently ranks low regardless of who's reporting it.

fact is GM isnt much better but pretty much everything chrysler makes is garbage at this point. look into it like i have before you respond again.
Everything Chrysler/Dodge makes isn't all junk. My 2012 Dodge Charger RT R/T is 10 times better than my 2008 GMC Sierra. That goes for overall quality. I know I haven't had my Charger but for a little over 4 months. But I haven't had any issues what so ever unlike my Sierra. I had to take my Sierra in right after I purcahsed the damn thing for a leaky back window. A month later, I had to bring it back in to get the actuator to the adjustable pedals replaced. As goes for amenities, my Charger has my Sierra beat hands down {It's the top of the line Sierra too}. If anything, people need to quit going by what the magazines say. Magazines post bullshit, just like with their quarter mile times. I'm a GM man, but quality issues have been a downer for them also. The way things are currently with both of them, I pick Dodge over GM. I believe you're thinking of the previous Dodge vehicles of the 90's as goes for junk.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by IZRED
Everything Chrysler/Dodge makes isn't all junk. My 2012 Dodge Charger RT R/T is 10 times better than my 2008 GMC Sierra. That goes for overall quality. I know I haven't had my Charger but for a little over 4 months. But I haven't had any issues what so ever unlike my Sierra. I had to take my Sierra in right after I purcahsed the damn thing for a leaky back window. A month later, I had to bring it back in to get the actuator to the adjustable pedals replaced. As goes for amenities, my Charger has my Sierra beat hands down {It's the top of the line Sierra too}. If anything, people need to quit going by what the magazines say. Magazines post bullshit, just like with their quarter mile times. I'm a GM man, but quality issues have been a downer for them also. The way things are currently with both of them, I pick Dodge over GM. I believe you're thinking of the previous Dodge vehicles of the 90's as goes for junk.
im glad youre happy. as i said GM doesnt rank high either chrysler just isnt known for its quality. maybe things will change but this isnt anything i havent read before.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1184155
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

ive posted this before. look at it before you start falling in love with chrysler.

http://www.wjla.com/pictures/2012/02...7171-1216.html

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 03-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL! Ok.

You make yourself look like such a goof ball with statements like this.

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Great interview. Two things that struck me: 1. His office isn't in the Executive Tower; he's down with the engineers. 2. I don't recall any recent Automotive CEO Executive driving one of their products hard like Sergio did in the Alfa (which sounded awesome!!).
alfa's are awesome looking junk... they are set pieces to be looked at, not driven. not that they would work if you wanted them to anyways..
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IZRED
As goes for amenities, my Charger has my Sierra beat hands down {It's the top of the line Sierra too}.
Um I would hope so. One is a truck, the other a sedan.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Um I would hope so. One is a truck, the other a sedan.
A sedan vs. a Denali. In creature comforts/gadgets. Think about that.

He didn't say in a race.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by -Ross-
LOL! Ok.

You make yourself look like such a goof ball with statements like this.
ok bro. why dont you read up on things instead of posting nonsense.

i dont like chrysler for a reason and im not convinced based on their ratings they make good vehicles across part of their lineup never mind all of it.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get all of my information and opinions from magazines too!

/sarcasm

I'm done here. Chrysler is doing good things now, and I'm happy to see it. It is a good time to be a domestic car buyer because all manufacturers have stepped up their game tremendously.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I get all of my information and opinions from magazines too!

/sarcasm

I'm done here. Chrysler is doing good things now, and I'm happy to see it. It is a good time to be a domestic car buyer because all manufacturers have stepped up their game tremendously.

weak comeback and then you say youre done. good job.

tell me since youre smarter than me where you get your info from? your neighbors and coworkers and people like my friend that thinks hemis and dodge can do no wrong?

i gather info the best i can and make my judgement from there. my mom many yrs ago had a chrysler and while it was a nice car it was the biggest POS ever.

she wouldnt buy another domestic for yrs after that til she bought a cruze.

i think chrysler makes great looking cars but right now i wouldnt buy one. i think theyre overpriced. at least what i would want.

im not saying theyre not improving. fact is ive heard and read this for decades about domestic automakers improving and they ended up going bankrupt so forgive if im not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrysler & Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne On 60 Minutes