Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford to Completely Ruin the Mustang for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford to Completely Ruin the Mustang for 2014

As Baby Boomers Reminisce, Ford Aims to Save Brand With European Look to Draw Younger Buyers

The old Mustang look will be put out to pasture.

By Michael Ramsey
April 16, 2012, 7:00 AM

For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.

The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people familiar with Ford’s plans said. The next generation would retain the shark-nosed grille and round headlights, but would look more like the new Ford Fusion than the current Mustang, these people said.

The change is part of a bid to make the Mustang appeal to Generation Y, the roughly 80 million people who were born between 1980 and 1999. This demographic group is entering its peak car-buying years. Cars that their parents drive—and hark back to the days of Woodstock, 20 years before they were born—don’t really interest them.

“You cannot sustain sales without looking for new buyers. True, you are going to lose sales, but you need to refresh the population of buyers,” said Alexander Edwards, an analyst with Strategic Vision, a California research firm that helps auto companies understand why customers choose the vehicles they buy.

“The main goal that all automobile companies need to be successful at is, let’s prepare vehicles that the next generation will want to be in, but have all the other features that will still appeal to the older generation as well,” said Mr. Edwards.

For Ford, Gen Y may prove a difficult target. For many in this group, cars and driving just aren’t that cool in an era of iPads and Facebook. A 2011 study by the University of Michigan found that just two-thirds of all 18-year-olds had driver’s licenses in 2008, down from 80% in 1983.

Toyota Motor Corp. created a whole subbrand, Scion, to appeal to the Millennial Generation. But after some initial success, Scion sales are a third of the peak. Retro designs in particular don’t fly, either. Last year, VW sold just 6,468 Beetles in the U.S., compared with 81,134 in 2000. Last year, Chrysler Group LLC stopped making its retro car, the PT Cruiser.

The Mustang, which has had a strong retro look since 2005, is losing steam, too. Last year Ford sold 70,438, down 4.4% from 2010 and less than half the 166,530 it sold in 2006. Chevrolet’s redesigned Camaro and Chrysler’s Challenger each outsold their historical rival last month.

The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall.

A Ford spokesman said he couldn’t comment on Ford’s product plans for the Mustang.

Changing the Mustang’s look is a risky move for Ford because the car has such a big following, said Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with researcher IHS Automotive Inc. “Ford has had so much success with [the retro Mustang], there is significant risk of going somewhat away from it,” she said. “You have to evolve the design, but it is a risk to change it too fast or radically.”

Baby boomers are still an important demographic. They drove booms in minivans, sport-utility vehicles and luxury cars in addition to retro models. But with the oldest boomers now retired, that generation is near the end of its run as hard-charging car consumers.

The average Mustang buyer today is 51 years old, Mr. Edwards said. They fall into the category of “near-luxury” consumers in terms of spending habits and tend to include more men than women. They like power and performance, he said.

Lee Stewart a 45-year-old accountant from Bristow, Va., just ordered a 2013 Mustang GT convertible, and loves the current, 1960s look. The Evos concept car, he added, is “a beautiful automobile, but it isn’t a Mustang.”

The original Mustang launched a whole category of inexpensive, sporty cars with a uniquely American look. The vehicle was a pet project of then Ford Vice President Lee Iacocca, who kept it alive after Henry Ford II had rejected early concepts.

It hit the market as baby boomers were in their teens and its rapid success triggered a host of similarly, small, four-seater sports cars. General Motors Co. countered with its Camaro, and Chrysler added the Dodge Charger and Challenger. In a nod to the Mustang, they were known as “Pony cars.”

In the 1970s, Detroit faced rising competition from small Japanese and fuel-economy regulations. The Big Three shrank their pony cars and changed their looks dramatically, and they all but faded from the roads by the late 1990s.

In 1998, Volkswagen AG tapped into boomer nostalgia when it reincarnated the Beetle. In 2005, the retro-style Mustang was launched and it was a hit.

But for Adam Perito, 32, a recruiter who is on the leading edge of Generation Y, the current Mustang is great and he is looking to buy one, but “the new one looks pretty sweet. Maybe I should wait until it comes out.”

Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a bad looking car, but that looks like *** for a "mustang"
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

I think it'd be big news if they already revealed the bodystyle of the new mustang. I doubt that's going to be it. I still remember all the bs body styles we've had for the gtr, new corvette which isn't even done yet, and a slew of other cars. I agree with their stance otherwise and can't stand the interior of the mustang. I'd be happy if they changed the interior at least.

Edit: Just saw it on autoblog :-/ Not sure what to think, I hope interior is good.

Last edited by jimmy169; 04-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I honestly believe that would appeal to an even older crowd.... not younger. Looks nice, but don't kill the mustang's appearance like that. Just introduce a different model... Ford Firefly has a nice ring to it.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mustang and Camaro should always have a "brutish" look to them. They are muscle cars, first and foremost. I agree a redesign is in order, but that image better not be even close to the direction they are going.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has a hint of Aston Martin styling. If it has rwd and a respectable power plant be it V8 or forced induction V6, I don't care what they call it, that could very well be something I would have to consider.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

R.I.P. Mustang
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks not bad, but not as a Mustang please..
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well hello there Ford Probe....
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks bad ***!...
Almost like the current one more morphed into modern rather than towards retro'd. A combonation sort of.

I've often wondered what the 5th Generation camaro could have looked like before retro craze took over.
To be honest the retro crazed era disturbed muscle car's natural evolvement. We may not ever know what muscle cars would have looked like if they hadn't been interrupted by the retro designs. When it ends do the auto makers plan to go back on track and pick up where they left off?
More importantly what does Chevy plan to do with the Camaro designs after retro finishes running its course?

Post 10 looks like a camaro from the back and sides.

For whiny whiners a Mustang will be anything Ford decides to label one.....just look at the 60s or 70s Mustang II for example....so a sock will be needed for whiners regardless.
For those who love the retro years they should be happy...this looks definitely inspired by those years....soooo the Ford designs are NOT picking up where they were BEFORE they retro'd.
Again more importantly what does Chevy plan to do?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm....
Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I dig it. I was never a fan of the retro stuff. I like old school ques here and there with a modern design.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Do not want. I really doubt Ford will go that route with the Mustang. I can see them ditching the retro look, but I REALLY doubt they will make it look anything like that concept. It looks a lot more like a concept for a 2-door Fusion than anything Mustang related. You don't make your halo sports car look like your mid-size family sedan unless you're hoping it fails.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Looks bad ***!...
Almost like the current one more morphed into modern rather than towards retro'd. A combonation sort of.

I've often wondered what the 5th Generation camaro could have looked like before retro craze took over.
To be honest the retro crazed era disturbed muscle car's natural evolvement. We may not ever know what muscle cars would have looked like if they hadn't been interrupted by the retro designs. When it ends do the auto makers plan to go back on track and pick up where they left off?
More importantly what does Chevy plan to do with the Camaro designs after retro finishes running its course?

Post 10 looks like a camaro from the back and sides.

For whiny whiners a Mustang will be anything Ford decides to label one.....just look at the 60s or 70s Mustang II for example....so a sock will be needed for whiners regardless.
For those who love the retro years they should be happy...this looks definitely inspired by those years....soooo the Ford designs are NOT picking up where they were BEFORE they retro'd.
Again more importantly what does Chevy plan to do?
They have no idea what they will do. To me retro was just a lie to themselves of saying, "we don't know what to do really, so here is something recycled!" There are kits to make current C6's look like C1's, but you don't see people flocking to them. Car's need to take an evolution. Cars with a certain history I can understand a retro or modernized theme, but it should only be temporary. GT40 comes to mind, or even the SSR.

Part of the battle they at least acknowledge is, currently many kids really don't care for cars with the lack of them having a licence. If they have to, they are 100% contempt getting behind the wheel of a Camry and doing the lame excuse of "i just go from point a to point b" and do so being a crappy driver. They pump out cars like the fusion, camry, malibu, etc to meet the needs of these people. Gizmos and Gadgets are cool, but they aren't needed in a sports car. I don't need something to try and distract me from the driving experience.

Bottom line, make crap for everyone else that wants to buy the crap. The heart pounding testosterone generating cars that we love (or hate because of a badge on the front of it) leave it alone so we can still enjoy our little bit of happiness we get when driving.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

You know what, If I ever grow a vagina that may be the car for me.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant see this as reality!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci

Nice! That threw Fords design out the window. I wish they would notice this. There should be a mass submission by mustang fans pressing them on this kind of design. It's got all the right subtle changes from the current one, even somewhat resembles their new design while keeping the current trend going.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Inb4 Ohio
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazboy99
It has a hint of Aston Martin styling. If it has rwd and a respectable power plant be it V8 or forced induction V6, I don't care what they call it, that could very well be something I would have to consider.
Just a hint?

Do not want.

Quick Reply: Ford to Completely Ruin the Mustang for 2014