Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Track-Test - 2013 Dodge/SRT Viper GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds Track-Test - 2013 Dodge/SRT Viper GTS

Spoiler alert: Whatever you call it, it's fast

After a disappointing 2011 and 2012, the Viper is back. It's got more power, less weight and, somehow, wider and more aggressive tires. It's a monster, and after driving the new Viper way back in September, we finally wrangled one of just a few on the planet (a pre-production unit, actually) for this World's First performance test of the 2013 Viper GTS.

While everyone else is either downsizing or adding tech features to increase efficiency (see the new Chevy LT1 in the 2014 C7 Chevy Corvette), SRT did not. Instead, it simply tweaked the formula of the 8.4-liter 10-cylinder and managed to crank out an additional 40 horsepower. SRT also looked to the scales to increase the performance of the new Viper. Thanks to a new chassis and carbon-fiber body panels, the Viper is down about 100 pounds from its predecessor, while having 50 percent more torsional rigidity.

You don't need to be an engineering whiz to know that this combination is going to produce a staggeringly quick car. To find out how quick, we took a brand-new 2013 SRT Viper GTS equipped with the Track pack (R-compound Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires, two-piece Stoptech brakes) out to our track.

Odometer: 2,097
Date: 12/11/2012
Driver: Josh Jacquot
Price: $122,390 (base GTS price)

Specifications

Drive Type: Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Engine Type: Naturally aspirated port-injected V10
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 8,381/511.4
Redline (rpm): 6,250
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 640 @ 6,200
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 600 @ 5,000
Brake Type (front): 14-inch two-piece ventilated steel discs with four-piston fixed calipers
Brake Type (rear): 14-inch two-piece ventilated steel discs with four-piston fixed calipers
Suspension Type (front): Independent double wishbones, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent double-wishbones, coil springs, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): 295/30ZR18 (94Y)
Tire Size (rear): 355/30ZR19 (99Y)
Tire Brand: Pirelli
Tire Model: P Zero Corsa
Tire Type: Asymmetrical summer performance
As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,365

Test Results

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.0 (2.3 w/ TC on)
0-45 (sec): 2.9 ( 3.2 w/ TC on)
0-60 (sec): 3.7 (4.1 w/ TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 3.4 (3.7 w/ TC on)
0-75 (sec): 5.1 (5.6 w/ TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 11.5 @ 127.3 ( 11.8 @ 125.3 w/ TC on)

Braking
30-0 (ft): 25
60-0 (ft): 101

Handling
Slalom (mph): 73.7 (71.0 w/TC on)
Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 1.03 (1.03 w/TC on)

Db @ Idle: 58.0
Db @ Full Throttle: 86.2
Db @ 70-mph Cruise: 77.0
RPM @ 70: 2,000

Comments

Acceleration:
Launch control is fairly worthless on our low-grip test surface. Its 5,000-rpm base is too high and its closed-loop throttle manipulation (using front wheel speed) is both too slow and not effective enough. Basically, launch control resulted in a big burnout. I chose a 3,000-3,500 launch rpm and had the best luck with a little clutch slip rather than a dump. Shifter is awesome — much better than before. Never missed a gear.

Braking:
Solid pedal feel and good response. Consistent performance, but these (optional) P Zero Corsas are clearly less sticky than the optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup rubber on the Z06 and ZR1.

Handling:
Skid pad: Heavy understeer attitude, but massive grip. More throttle equals more understeer. Won't respond to lift throttle, which is probably good in a car with limits this high. Steering is direct and immediate. Ran all handling tests in "Street" damping, as "Race" was too stiff and made the car nervous. Feels like this level of damping is really only appropriate at high speed.

Slalom:
Because of its limited visibility, the Viper is harder to place than some of its competition, which resulted in hitting more cones than normal. Still, its 73.7-mph speed here is telling. It's stable and relatively easy to control in rapid transitions. Doesn't feel like it wants to kill you anymore, but its limits still demand respect.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I have to admit the thing is pretty bad *** but I would still take a ZR1 over it. Just can't see myself buying a Dodge.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kind of want. To those comparing this to a ZR1, if you care about interior quality at all the new viper (in pictures at least) is worlds ahead of a z.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OxCatLuv
I have to admit the thing is pretty bad *** but I would still take a ZR1 over it. Just can't see myself buying a Dodge.
I'd have this Viper or any prior Viper over a ZR1 personally. Corvettes are too common and aren't terribly special in comparison.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
I'd have this Viper or any prior Viper over a ZR1 personally. Corvettes are too common and aren't terribly special in comparison.
I'd take a base C6 or C5 over any previous Viper - each to their own is my point.

I will agree that the new interior is much nicer than the Z and I really like the new look of the Viper coupe. Having said that, I have yet to hear a Viper V10 that sounds good at any rpm. That and I am quite disappointed by SRT to not go higher tech with the powerplant. Same song and dance since the Viper began. Punch it out and make more power. Ford and GM are going to more tech, it's time for Dodge to follow, I would much rather chop 4" from the front end, and put in a FI 392 that sounds awesome and makes more power.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vipers have always been sick as hell. they have really stepped it up this time.

as far as adding more technology, why?

they make 640hp with old technology which is CHEAPER, and EASIER to fix with less complication. kudos for them to sticking to an easy recipe and not adding 4 turbos 8 cams and all this pos afm ****.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
Agreed, sort of. I would take a GTS, SRT8 ACR, or this Viper over any Corvette. Not a fan of any convertible/topless Vipers, or the non-ACR ones.

This car is AWESOME!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OxCatLuv
Haven't you heard? It's not a Dodge anymore; it's an SRT!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
as far as adding more technology, why?

they make 640hp with old technology which is CHEAPER, and EASIER to fix with less complication. kudos for them to sticking to an easy recipe and not adding 4 turbos 8 cams and all this pos afm ****.
I gave my opinion, nothing more and called it my $0.02.

If you like 10 cylinders @ 8.4l making only 640 hp and sounding like @$$, then no problem - it's your opinion and I don't mind a bit!

As for tech, not always looking for more complicated technology. The LS7 isn't really more complicated than the traditional BBC chevy, but has far more potential. Again, IMO, I would rather see an FI 392, a shorter hood, and a great exhaust note (who pays 100K for a car that sounds so bad??). I'm NOT saying everyone should agree with me.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it only makes 640HP, but there was only so much they could do with that powerplant...they put their time and energy into the body and interior, and fully admitted that they were about maxed out on what the current engine could do while still being able to pass the emissions standards currently in place and still maintain a warranty of any sort. They took the Gen IV motor, added a plastic intake manifold and a slightly larger cam (still the cam-in-cam VVT design though), and called it a day. I'm sure they will address the engine down the road, but it just wasn't in the cards for this go-around. You also have to take into account that they've never had stability/traction control on a Viper until now, so that had to be developed/tested/integrated...yet another cost that took away engine development money. Additionally, as long as Fiat owns Chrysler, I don't see them letting the Viper have more power than their top-of-the-line Ferrari.

Not making excuses, but that's what the SRT engineers told us when we asked. I can assure you, there are plenty of current Viper owners that were disappointed with only 640HP. They wanted at least 700.

When you look at the Gen V Viper's weight vs. HP, it is pretty much the same as the current ZR1, and it looks like the performance numbers match that.

Who knows what they'll do down the road...the V-10 is a big part of Viper heritage, and I just can't see them straying too far from the current recipe. They've batted around the idea of forced induction, but it never seems to make it past a wet dream. There's no replacement for displacement, that's for sure. All the bolt-ons + ported heads will probably net about the same results as the '08-'10 cars get - about 80-100 additional HP. Cam swaps aren't feasible with these...that's where the LS7s really come alive.

Sound? Always subjective...I was surprised at how much I liked it, even if it has been described as a tuba having sex with a vacuum cleaner. Different is what they were going for, and they certainly got it.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viper has really outdone itself with this latest incarnation. Modern electronic safety systems, reduced weight, increased power, far better interior, and improved overall quality. I like that the design was an evolution and not some random design school students rendering. My only gripes about this vehicle are the exhaust note and that I can't afford one...NOW!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Just think of the outcry if the Viper would have been released with a V8 instead of the v10!? It would be like releasing the Camaro of Corvette with a v6 instead of a v8.

A lot of the enthusiasts like that the viper is a V10 because its different, unique, special, and does sound pretty cool if the exhaust is done right.

Some people will never be happy. Of course the people bitching about it including myself will never be able to afford one.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SRT has said they didn't go FI on the Viper because it gets too hot on the track. Think it was mentioned in a Motortrend article somewhere but I can't remember for sure.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1994Z28Lt1

A lot of the enthusiasts like that the viper is a V10 because its different, unique, special, and does sound pretty cool if the exhaust is done right.
Agreed, everyone that says they sound like *** haven't heard one with the right exhaust setup. I also like how everyone says the Viper sounds like a truck and they'd rather have a V8. They must live in a totally different world as I can't drive across town without hearing at least 5 Corvette-sounding trucks, and have yet to run across one that sounds like a full exhaust Viper.

It all goes back to the being different thing the Viper has going for it. I'm not going to argue which is better sounding of the two, but I would rather have something that makes people snap their necks to see WTF just raped their ear holes.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not everyone likes the sound of the Viper V10...having heard different exhaust setups, none sound in any way like something I would want coming from my 100K+ car - but again, IMO.

Not all V10s sound bad either, Lambo Gallardo/Audi R8 V10s sound really great, better in person.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

the reviews are dissapointing , hopefully some software tweaks and they will fix the lc . Maybe some better tires, and im surprised they dont have carbon ceramic brakes either. I think id take this over the zr1 if i had a choice just because you see vettes all the time , never vipers. Thats just me.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Not everyone likes the sound of the Viper V10...having heard different exhaust setups, none sound in any way like something I would want coming from my 100K+ car - but again, IMO.

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
the reviews are dissapointing , hopefully some software tweaks and they will fix the lc . Maybe some better tires, and im surprised they dont have carbon ceramic brakes either. I think id take this over the zr1 if i had a choice just because you see vettes all the time , never vipers. Thats just me.
You're disappointed because the launch control didn't work good on a slick surface? The Viper clearly isn't meant for you. Even with their complaint of poor visibility and tires worse than a ZR1 they tested a full mph faster with this through the slalom than they did with the ZR1.

I can't wait until UGR/Heffner/etc gets their hands on one of these
Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vipers make me happy
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
Like NW-99SS said, to each their own, because that car sounds terrible at full throttle (idle sounds good though), and I LOVE Vipers, they are one of my favorite cars.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Like NW-99SS said, to each their own, because that car sounds terrible at full throttle (idle sounds good though), and I LOVE Vipers, they are one of my favorite cars.
If you listen closely you can hear v-tec kick in.

Seriously though, each generation has become progressively less shitty sounding. Its still in the running for worst sounding "high performance" car.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2013 Dodge/SRT Viper GTS