Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

C7 ZO6 to be unveiled at Detroit Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! Good pics for the comparisons to show how much bigger OHC motors are! Didnt think they was that much bigger. Funny how they are a lot bigger than our LSx motors but yet SOME ford people cry about how we have the bigger motor (CI that is) lol Its not our fault that GM can squeeze out more cubes in a smaller motor and ford can't in a physically BIGGER motor!
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
That's because you live on the internet rather than at the track. Several locals were in the low low 12s and even 11s with bolt-ons and mild weight reduction back in 1999. Whisper lid, Grots, cutout, and PI converter with slicks would do it under 3400lbs. And they did it without tuning or internet help.
Yeah, well thanks for agreeing with me... Except: I seem to remember this little thing called LS1 Edit... About the best thing going back then.

Originally Posted by "MAC"
Damn! Good pics for the comparisons to show how much bigger OHC motors are! Didnt think they was that much bigger. Funny how they are a lot bigger than our LSx motors but yet SOME ford people cry about how we have the bigger motor (CI that is) lol Its not our fault that GM can squeeze out more cubes in a smaller motor and ford can't in a physically BIGGER motor!
It's not our fault, nor is it our fault the DOHC can generally support more rpm and overall hp. It is what it is, by design, not mistake.

Anyway, seriously, enough of this. Get back to something ELSE we know little or nothing about... The new Corvette.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Yeah, well thanks for agreeing with me... Except: I seem to remember this little thing called LS1 Edit... About the best thing going back then.

It's not our fault, nor is it our fault the DOHC can generally support more rpm and overall hp. It is what it is, by design, not mistake.

Anyway, seriously, enough of this. Get back to something ELSE we know little or nothing about... The new Corvette.
Lol i wish it was my fault then id be rich!!!!! Ahh the new Corvette i can say from personal experience pictures dont do them justice they look better in person just my .02 is all.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't utter 1 word here, about how the valve is opened. Like you, I merely pointed out things that do matter.
You're arguing that DOHC causes better burns do you not? OHC vs OHV comes down to the mode of opening/closing valves. So, yes, in that way you did.

Yup, and in automobile terms, the OHC, spefically DOHC, has more pros and the OHV has more cons.
Want to provide supported facts? Not like this one here:

Fact is, some engines just do burn cleaner than others and in the case of OHC vs OHV, it seems the automotive world has determined the OHC is cleaner. I remember when Ford came out with the 4.6 and the big news was that it needed no smog pump(parasitic loss) to pass emissions. That was what, like 1990... The OHV needed till around 2006 for that. Apparently, the test equipment was either partial to the OHC engine, or it burned cleaner... You can judge that for yourself.
You are taking two totally different engines, made by two totally different companies, and saying that it was solely the OHC that made the 4.6 pass emissions without a smog pump. Seriously?

Seems after 2006 GM shot your "fact" in the face by not needing extra smog pumps for their OHV engines, not to mention there are OHC engines out there that have smog pumps. Oops! So much for OHC being the cause of a cleaner burn.

If you like OHC, that's fine. Keep it. But please don't try to pass it off as being so superior to OHV and "cleaner" burning when that is only a small portion of the big picture on engine function and fuel burn.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You're arguing that DOHC causes better burns do you not? OHC vs OHV comes down to the mode of opening/closing valves. So, yes, in that way you did.

Want to provide supported facts? Not like this one here:

You are taking two totally different engines, made by two totally different companies, and saying that it was solely the OHC that made the 4.6 pass emissions without a smog pump. Seriously?

Seems after 2006 GM shot your "fact" in the face by not needing extra smog pumps for their OHV engines, not to mention there are OHC engines out there that have smog pumps. Oops! So much for OHC being the cause of a cleaner burn.

If you like OHC, that's fine. Keep it. But please don't try to pass it off as being so superior to OHV and "cleaner" burning when that is only a small portion of the big picture on engine function and fuel burn.
So far, it appears you're so lost, you may never be found. You think, and claim, I'm saying things I didn't say, and you're telling me I did... because, after all, you just know what someone meant isn't really what they SAID, even after they said it in writing... you, for being Da'man...

By the way... Did the 1996 and later Sedan Deville Concourse use a smog pump?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF are you talking about?! Agreeing with you? Bolt on cars were in the 11s within a year of the F-body introduction, not 2001. And LS1 Edit didn't exist back in 98 and early 99.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

.... Whatever

Back on topic please.

I want to see this Z06.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'llrun - do you agree that NHRA Pro Stock is the pinicale of OHV performance? Would you also agree that F1 is the pinicale of OHC performance?

Now did you know that pushrod motor is more volumetricly efficient than the F1 OHC motor?

You've talked out your *** in this thread and tried to go backon stupid **** you e said or cover it up with even ddumber ****.. GTFO
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
It'llrun - do you agree that NHRA Pro Stock is the pinicale of OHV performance? Would you also agree that F1 is the pinicale of OHC performance?

Now did you know that pushrod motor is more volumetricly efficient than the F1 OHC motor?

You've talked out your *** in this thread and tried to go backon stupid **** you e said or cover it up with even ddumber ****.. GTFO
I'd like to hear that one.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

lol. seriously.

2.5 liter formula1 v8 = 740+hp. 296hp/liter
7 liter v8 = 505hp.................. 72hp/liter

296 is greater than 72 to me.

maybe i'm in outer space.

on a angine dyno with cams, a 5 liter coyote makes 450 lb-ft.....90 lb-ft per liter.
on a engine dyno with cams, a 6.2 liter LS3 makes...495ish lb-ft..79 lb-ft per liter.

is there another leasure i don't know about?

500inch pro stock 1400hp = 170hp per liter. still less than 296 in my reading.

Last edited by assasinator; 12-16-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So....where are Z06 pics?
Aren't you grown out of the 10yr old OHV.vs OHC topic yet?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like you need another "engine building 101" class from the nearest TV! Or you can just say screw it and get back to Romper Room!

By the way, NO, I do not agree that NHRA Pro Stock is the pinnacle of OHV performance, or even a little close to such a thing! I would certainly say TF, insofar as drag racing, is the pinnacle and otherwise, FC, but never PS.

Regardless, the reason those large engines do so well with their OHV design is because... They're LARGE! As in BIG cubic inches. It helps also, that they create big RPM. Those are great things and for me, I prefer to build the OHV engine in general because it's just easier. Still, OHC, specifically DOHC, simply smashes the competition and that's final. The only close contenders in the OHV world are HEMI headed brutes in the well over 400ci range, or the rare design changed engines, such as one with COATES Spherical Rotary Valve heads installed. Then again, those heads would make it essentially an OHC engine... A DOHC, really.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator
lol. seriously.

2.5 liter formula1 v8 = 740+hp. 296hp/liter
7 liter v8 = 505hp.................. 72hp/liter

296 is greater than 72 to me.

maybe i'm in outer space.
Outer space? Perhaps. However your location doesn't matter, your sheer ignorance does. Volumetric efficiency and power per liter ARE NOT the same thing.

Still, OHC, specifically DOHC, simply smashes the competition and that's final.
More ignorance...

When ANY naturally aspirated OHC engine makes more than 1600hp, or ANY forced induction OHC engine makes more than ~8500hp, THEN you can claim that. Keep the ricer math out of this.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

More ignorance...

When ANY naturally aspirated OHC engine makes more than 1600hp, or ANY forced induction OHC engine makes more than ~8500hp, THEN you can claim that. Keep the ricer math out of this.
Oh, that's right... Clearly I'd forgotten that FORCED INDUCTION has not been invented just yet... You're a CLOWN and we're all laughing at you...

btw, clown... I know this is old and all, and wasn't modified by tuners at the time, but think this over in that massive brain of yours... http://www.gizmag.com/go/4286/

The NHRA has BANNED the use of DOHC engines in its top classes, so we won't likely see them at TF power levels, but it's not that they cannot reach those levels, because they can.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, insulting the other party in an argument is a good way to win them over

This thread has degenerated, badly. I recommend just locking this garbage and then a new thread be made after the show with pics to then drool over or complain about
Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Outer space? Perhaps. However your location doesn't matter, your sheer ignorance does. Volumetric efficiency and power per liter ARE NOT the same thing.

More ignorance...

yes you are in outer space. ve = measured flow/theoretical flow.

also a current formula one engine has massive restrictions. charge cooling, block materials, crank materials, piston shape, valve shape, etc.

For contemporary naturally-aspirated, two-valve-per-cylinder, pushrod engine technology, a VE over 95% is excellent, and 100% is achievable, but quite difficult. Only the best of the best can reach 110%, and that is by means of extremely specialized development of the complex system comprised of the intake passages, combustion chambers, exhaust passages and valve system components. The practical limit for normally-aspirated engines, typically DOHC layout with four or more valves per cylinder, is about 115%, which can only be achieved under the most highly-developed conditions, with precise intake and exhaust passage tuning. Generally, the RPM at peak VE coincides with the RPM at the torque peak. And generally, automotive engines rarely exceed 90% VE.

Predictably, the most powerful engines in the world are the ones with the biggest budgets and, equally predictably, they are in Formula 1. Developing well over 300bhp per litre and boasting a volumetric efficiency of 125 per cent at 20,000rpm they produce more power for their capacity than any other normally aspirated, four-stroke engines anywhere.

Last edited by assasinator; 12-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

I think I found just what you guys need. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yeah, insulting the other party in an argument is a good way to win them over
Of course, in your eyes, he didn't insult me atoll... Then again, look at your idea of debate... Useless.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

Question if DOHC is so great why not use them in top fuel dragsters? Is ot because of the rules?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Question if DOHC is so great why not use them in top fuel dragsters? Is ot because of the rules?
Yup.Thanks to "The McGee Quad Cam" (2nd iteration) and perhaps a couple others running so strongly, companies like General Motors, along with some engine builders and even race teams lobbied against them altogether or at least to handicap them and, in 1997, NHRA outlawed DOHC engines and made a rule change requiring no more than 1 camshaft per engine and no more than 2 valves per cylinder...

Quick Reply: C7 ZO6 to be unveiled at Detroit Auto Show