Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GMC vehicle for itself?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMC vehicle for itself?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/20/g...usaolp00000588

Idonno about this one. If it happens, I hope they use a better looking vehicle. It (too much) resembles a Honda or Toyota(Scion) or a Nissan Cube for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They should have been doing this since the beginning; I never understood the point of having different brand names that sell essentially the same damn model sans different emblems/grills. Pontiac should have been/stayed the high(er) performance/exotic version of Chevy cars, and GMC should be the more "rugged"/exotic version of Chevy trucks - not the subtle difference between the Tahoe and Suburban.

If you're going to have a multitude of sub-brands, they should all be distinctive.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

I certainly agree that it would be better to have real differences in the pickups, even if they use the same frame and drive line... but that doesn't really leave much, except expense.

I miss Pontiac, but I kinda went "whatever" with exception of "their version" of GM performance cars ever since they stopped using their own engines.

I'm not clear on the subtle difference between TAHOE and Suburban... Both are actually labeled Chevy and the Suburban is larger. Maybe you're thinking of the YUKON.

To just take a quick glance, we may think GMC has 16 vehicles... upon investigation, we'll find they have a "whatever" and a "whatever DENALI," except in the case of the van... Regardless, as usual, they're all another version of something also labeled a Chevy.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The vehicle in that link is the Granite concept, and I believe that has been confirmed to NOT be the GMC-only vehicle that is coming. Many are hoping for an Envoy replacement.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

How about we just get rid of GMC altogether?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

I'd be much happier with GMC carrying the label for ALL the "trucks" GM offers and leave the cars to Chevrolet... kinda like Dodge and RAM, only better.

And Z... Thanks for that tidbit. It makes me feel better already, that they'll used something else.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

shouldve brought back the Sy/Ty twins
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
And Z... Thanks for that tidbit. It makes me feel better already, that they'll used something else.
The topic is discussed at length here. Even though that Granite concept would be a pretty slick little CUV (directly compete with the Buick Encore and the foreign base CUVs (Soul, Juke, etc.)), GM has already stated that it would not enter production. I think it would have been a hit though.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I certainly agree that it would be better to have real differences in the pickups, even if they use the same frame and drive line... but that doesn't really leave much, except expense.

I miss Pontiac, but I kinda went "whatever" with exception of "their version" of GM performance cars ever since they stopped using their own engines.

I'm not clear on the subtle difference between TAHOE and Suburban... Both are actually labeled Chevy and the Suburban is larger. Maybe you're thinking of the YUKON.

To just take a quick glance, we may think GMC has 16 vehicles... upon investigation, we'll find they have a "whatever" and a "whatever DENALI," except in the case of the van... Regardless, as usual, they're all another version of something also labeled a Chevy.
Yea, it was the Yukon; my bad.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The GMC trucks have looked remarkably better than the Chevy trucks for quite some time.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think it would've done well. It too strongly resembles others and while that segment is selling well at this time, it's also flooded with choices already. I'm liking the idea of a standalone platform, but I also think it would be fine to have a GMC whatever, followed the next yr by a Chevy choice of the same vehicle. Please though, something less square!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GMC vehicle for itself?