Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Jon Kaase Modular 4v wins Engine Masters...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, but only Ford had to undergo 2 changes in the same season, after the season started. Nobody cared for the 1st race because a GM won, 2nd too, I think. After that, it was trouble because 7 of the top 10 were Fords and the closest GM was #3 in 8th. People were pissed and a rule change went into effect almost immediately. Between seasons, while I may not like it, I get it. GM was allowed to expand the car, which wasn't a RWD car anymore anyway, but that was prior to season start, or was it?

I wish they'd go back, essentially to the car rules of 1960... That would make for fun with technology of today... Of course, the companies would have to offer RWD cars for it, but I'd like that too, since I think they're typically better than FWD anyway. Plus, I miss the days of watching a car I could basically have bought from any dealership. Today, nothing like the race version except the 4 wheels.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So moral of the story - with enough money, great builders, and using well established performance engines as a base platform you can make a lot of power! Who knew?

2 solid pages of circle jerking brands and nothing has changed, everyone still has the same preferences. Shocker.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by justin455
So moral of the story - with enough money, great builders, and using well established performance engines as a base platform you can make a lot of power! Who knew?

2 solid pages of circle jerking brands and nothing has changed, everyone still has the same preferences. Shocker.
I think the probable reason for the creation of this thread was because certain people refuse to acknowledge that the mod motors are, in fact, established performance engines.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
My only question with that intake was, why did they use it... Did the rules require factory stuff? Anyway, I still think labor cost him far more than the engine parts and I suspect he had several of the parts before he even considered building a 5.4L for the challenge.
concerning that intake....the cobra 'r'....

it has 14" runners from horn to valve. it has a factory 7 degree taper. they modded it for this application im sure. it is simply the best intake available for torque and top end horsepower. you can get intakes with more peak power, but nothing with the average of a "R". there is more then helmoltz tuning here.(short runner). flow coefficients etc.

if the really wanted to get exotic, they could have made and intake to use first order helmholtz waves. ie 35" long runners. lol.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I think the probable reason for the creation of this thread was because certain people refuse to acknowledge that the mod motors are, in fact, established performance engines.
Anyone that thinks otherwise has their head up their own ***. Even 2v can make decent power with boost. 4v have been on a back and forth with LS engines ever since they came out. Bias is one thing, ignorance is another. LS and mod motors both kick ***.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

That's big power for N/A(nearly doubled stock) and I would've expected a longer runner intake to be used, or something more open, but I guess Ford got that thing pretty much right. I'm now finding it quite humorous that so many who constantly say mod motors can't make power without forced induction are staying out of this.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by justin455
Anyone that thinks otherwise has their head up their own ***. Even 2v can make decent power with boost. 4v have been on a back and forth with LS engines ever since they came out. Bias is one thing, ignorance is another. LS and mod motors both kick ***.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, but only Ford had to undergo 2 changes in the same season, after the season started. Nobody cared for the 1st race because a GM won, 2nd too, I think. After that, it was trouble because 7 of the top 10 were Fords and the closest GM was #3 in 8th. People were pissed and a rule change went into effect almost immediately. Between seasons, while I may not like it, I get it. GM was allowed to expand the car, which wasn't a RWD car anymore anyway, but that was prior to season start, or was it?
May 17, 1995 - THunderbird/Grand Prixs are allowed to lower the airdam from 4in to 3.75 in, and raise the spoiler from 5.75 to 6 after a wind tunnel test. Monte Carlo's go unchanged. I believe this happened a couple times in season.

Point I am driving at, is that Ford got help just as Chevy did from time to time.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
May 17, 1995 - THunderbird/Grand Prixs are allowed to lower the airdam from 4in to 3.75 in, and raise the spoiler from 5.75 to 6 after a wind tunnel test. Monte Carlo's go unchanged. I believe this happened a couple times in season.

Point I am driving at, is that Ford got help just as Chevy did from time to time.
Yes, I know and it's true, but some of the things "against" Ford over the years have been rather drastic, like banning the engine before it ever made a race because it made too much power and Bill France Sr. himself went to see it, but allowed the 426 HEMI back into NASCAR the following year while still saying no to Ford.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Side note: It's more nonsense to point out the cubes of the Chrylser vs the Ford because we're ONLY comparing exterior size.
Ah so its only nonsense when it makes the ford engine look bad? Oh ok...
PS I've never heard of anyone using a 426 Hemi in a Miata...
The same could be said for the DOHC Mod motor.

Who thinks the mod motors are not performance engines??? Sure they wont stack up to GM stuff, but thats doesn't make them not performance engines

. I'm now finding it quite humorous that so many who constantly say mod motors can't make power without forced induction are staying out of this.
They're probably too busy not caring that a $60,000+ engine only makes 800hp...
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

This thread is full of ignorance. Keep the laughs coming guys.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ah so its only nonsense when it makes the ford engine look bad? Oh ok...

The same could be said for the DOHC Mod motor.

Who thinks the mod motors are not performance engines??? Sure they wont stack up to GM stuff, but thats doesn't make them not performance engines

They're probably too busy not caring that a $60,000+ engine only makes 800hp...
i see your point. the other engines in the engine masters were off the shelf parts and no money in them at all. $600.00 lq9.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by assasinator
i see your point. the other engines in the engine masters were off the shelf parts and no money in them at all. $600.00 lq9.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
lol you ******* loser. get a life.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonkaase
Eagle and Scat were paying contingency money for rods. So it paid $3500 for using the Eagle rods. I bought them in the classified section right here. Also the valve covers and front cover were from here. Jon
so the motor didnt cost 60,000. he bought parts off the classifieds at the corral.

gt500 block, gt500/GT heads. hardly $60,000.00

it did have a bryant crank. other stuuf, so it wasnt free. but not 60k.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-07-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

I wasn't going to get into it... Clearly, he used several things that weren't brand new and probably had no more than about 15k into the engine itself. Could've been more, but not much more realistically. The pay for his guys was surely more overall.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Yet another BS picture that makes a big engine look bigger than it actually is.
Is this a better angle for ya?

The ls is a 427 LS7......the ford is of course a 4.6.....or 281 for you non liter guys.

Name:  20130322_153519_zps2c78b502.jpg
Views: 6823
Size:  99.8 KB

How bout this angle?

Name:  20130322_153727_zps2c125139.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  103.2 KB
Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Still taken (by you, surprise) to intentionally make a big motor look bigger. You can say "well the blower IS the intake manifold on this motor," which is all well and good...but how about using an N/A 4.6 (or take the manifolds off both engines) to make it an honest comparison? Like I've told you countless times over the years, I am well aware of the size of both motors. I've handled both outside their respective cars on several separate occasions. One is CLEARLY larger than the other, there is no need to try and make it look even larger just to try and lend credence to your point.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Still taken (by you, surprise) to intentionally make a big motor look bigger. You can say "well the blower IS the intake manifold on this motor," which is all well and good...but how about using an N/A 4.6 (or take the manifolds off both engines) to make it an honest comparison? Like I've told you countless times over the years, I am well aware of the size of both motors. I've handled both outside their respective cars on several separate occasions. One is CLEARLY larger than the other, there is no need to try and make it look even larger just to try and lend credence to your point.
Well they are both mine.....so yea taken by me. Can someone please explain how I intentionally made one look bigger or one look smaller in a pic? I do not have photoshop........so clearly I did not. Both are setting on the floor and their oil pans front propped up near level.

If I am not mistaken a n/a intake still has the throttle body above the valve cover........so again your wrong. That would put the n/a intake and the blower at near the same height.

One more thing......one engine is 505 hp while the other is 390. One weighs about 365lb and the other near 600.

actually that was 2 more things.....lmao
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god look at that boat anchor

Quick Reply: Jon Kaase Modular 4v wins Engine Masters...