Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Got a Cobalt or G5? RECALL coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Got a Cobalt or G5? RECALL coming

https://news.yahoo.com/gm-recalling-...48368--finance.

2005-7 Cobalts and 2007 G5's. Nearly 780,000 total.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

"A heavy key ring or jarring from rough roads can move the ignition switch out of the run position, cutting off the engine and electrical power, GM said"

So why is this GM's problem ? Just don't hang a shitton of stuff from Your Keyring , this is just basic common sence. I have replaced so many Ignition switches in the past 40 Years that the only thing that is on My car key ring is My Toolbox Key.

Article also states that it mostly happens offroad at hi speed. Just Who the hell would take one of these pieces of **** offroad at hi speed ? Sounds like a good Canadate for a Darwin Award.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

It's GM's problem because we have this thing called "government" which makes laws which manufacturers agree to abide by. On the flip side, the plaintiff could argue, why didn't GM make the car ride smoothly enough that their interior parts don't break from the shake...

Plus, they provided the key ring, which oddly puts them in a liable position.

Ultimately, the reality is the same. They'll be made to pay in one way or another and this way is the least expensive plan they saw, or you can trust they'd not have done it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 AM
***Repost Police***

Just make your ignition cylinders strong enough to hold up somebody's bottle opener...
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It's GM's problem because we have this thing called "government" which makes laws which manufacturers agree to abide by. On the flip side, the plaintiff could argue, why didn't GM make the car ride smoothly enough that their interior parts don't break from the shake...

Plus, they provided the key ring, which oddly puts them in a liable position.
Actually, new GM cars only come with a very very small ring if you've noticed. It is clearly recommended/implied not to have anything on the ignition key ring but the ignition key and transmitter. GM has had several bulletins over the years addressing this, not specific to Cobalts, but because the weight wears the switch out; this was fairly popular problem in the 90s with assclowns having massive key collections.

It's ridiculous to even think this is GM's fault. No where does GM claim their switch can nutswing a 5lb key collection for 200,000 miles.

The bottom line is GM is doing the right thing to appease people with ridiculous keychain collections.

One last point, that column is/was used in countless other GM cars.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

happened to me with my cobalt when it was new (had my work keys on the ring also). from then on just the car key and the fob lol. it's a pretty commonly known thing to happen in the cobalt world. Weird now they decide to do a recall.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Actually, new GM cars only come with a very very small ring if you've noticed. It is clearly recommended/implied not to have anything on the ignition key ring but the ignition key and transmitter. GM has had several bulletins over the years addressing this, not specific to Cobalts, but because the weight wears the switch out; this was fairly popular problem in the 90s with assclowns having massive key collections.

It's ridiculous to even think this is GM's fault. No where does GM claim their switch can nutswing a 5lb key collection for 200,000 miles.

The bottom line is GM is doing the right thing to appease people with ridiculous keychain collections.

One last point, that column is/was used in countless other GM cars.
So, since in your opinion it's obvious that the key chain provided shouldn't be used as such, GM should feel no responsibility that they put an inferior lock & tumbler in millions of vehicles?

That's what it looks like you're saying.

The only way I can think that GM could get off this hook is the one they took awhile back, whereupon they claimed to be the new GM and not the old, therefore, not responsible for claims against the old GM. Of course, that didn't work out well for them because pissing off tens of thousands of customers doesn't tend to be a great idea. With that, they're doing the right thing... following the law.

Honestly though... since the rest of the manufacturers aren't having the same problem, it isn't their fault. Plus, GM doesn't use just 1 column for most vehicles. The column for those two models is probably only used in those two, but the ignition sw itself may have been used in several more models. Even those are commonly different. Perhaps the real problem is only in the housing? They know, whatever it is.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM with bad quality control and interior panels with even shittier build quality???

no! all of you are liars GM has never had any of the above!

i agree though you shouldnt have a bunch of **** on your key ring but ive NEVER had a key work its way loose either.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Honestly though... since the rest of the manufacturers aren't having the same problem, it isn't their fault. Plus, GM doesn't use just 1 column for most vehicles. The column for those two models is probably only used in those two, but the ignition sw itself may have been used in several more models. Even those are commonly different. Perhaps the real problem is only in the housing? They know, whatever it is.
Agree with this^.

I owned a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC to 65000 miles (over 4 years - stored outside, drove through Canadian prairie winters), no issues whatsoever, but like most here, we are not your average consumer when it comes to cars, maintenance, and overall treatment.

I actually miss that car - stereo was great, heated seats warmed very quickly, enough power to pass on the highway, great fuel econ (left it stock except the air filter), and felt like a Subaru with the LSD front diff and X-ice tires in the winter. Sucks that as you get older you go for the SUV with more room just so you can pack more **** everywhere you go
Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I actually miss that car - stereo was great, heated seats warmed very quickly, enough power to pass on the highway, great fuel econ (left it stock except the air filter), and felt like a Subaru with the LSD front diff and X-ice tires in the winter. Sucks that as you get older you go for the SUV with more room just so you can pack more **** everywhere you go
I never had a Cobalt, but one of my nephews had a S/C then Turbo version(he's since moved to RWD cars) and your comment got me thinking..

Like you, I do the SUV thing now and have since 2006. For personal use I went from cars to trucks to SUV's and my current may as well be a car. He, conversely, started with a lifted 4X4 and then one day to cars...

Anyway, he basically went the other direction and when he turns around, he'll probably be getting old... He's only in his 20's.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never had a Cobalt, but one of my nephews had a S/C then Turbo version(he's since moved to RWD cars) and your comment got me thinking..

Like you, I do the SUV thing now and have since 2006. For personal use I went from cars to trucks to SUV's and my current may as well be a car. He, conversely, started with a lifted 4X4 and then one day to cars...

Anyway, he basically went the other direction and when he turns around, he'll probably be getting old... He's only in his 20's.
The LNF(?) Turbo cars were even better yet than the S/C ones like mine - better handling, better brakes, etc.

And yes, funny how you suddenly find yourself in an SUV taking way more stuff than you will ever need everywhere you go. For us, we have two dogs and who knows if kids our in our future. So we went for an SUV with enough room to satifsy those needs in the next 4 years. Funny, because like the average owner, we probably only need the room 25% of the time it gets driven.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

He never talked about handling... just wanted to street race. I hear he still does and now has a 700+whp car... bad idea to me, but hey... couldn't tell me much at that age either.

I found a way to keep less in the new one. It seemed the old was always carrying more than I wanted or needed. Now, though it's not terribly cold here, I keep a blanket, a change of clothes and little else, various keys in case I need to access a rental or my folks home. I don't put the dogs in anymore and am too old for little kids to be a concern. I would hope! Well, I do have friends with small ones. I even used to keep a child seat in my SUV! Without having any kids of my own who needed one... No more of that.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

He never talked about handling... just wanted to street race. I hear he still does and now has a 700+whp car... bad idea to me, but hey... couldn't tell me much at that age either.

I found a way to keep less in the new one. It seemed the old was always carrying more than I wanted or needed. Now, though it's not terribly cold here, I keep a blanket, a change of clothes and little else, various keys in case I need to access a rental or my folks home. I don't put the dogs in anymore and am too old for little kids to be a concern. I would hope! Well, I do have friends with small ones. I even used to keep a child seat in my SUV! Without having any kids of my own who needed one... No more of that.
Most of our friends have recently had kids or soon to be so I imagine this will become a permanent fixture in our SUV for the next 10 years, lol!

Quick Reply: Got a Cobalt or G5? RECALL coming