Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ACTUAL 2015 Mustang weights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ACTUAL 2015 Mustang weights?

If these are correct, it's a REAL heavyweight for Mustangs without a S/C V8...

3852 for a GT... convertible.

3727 for GT automatic... and 3704 for the manual...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/atta...2&d=1402615950

PS If these are accurate, it's bloated, but the thing is gonna be able to SCOOT!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are some pretty porky numbers...I'm still curious to see where the new C7 ZO6 ends up. I guess higher crash standards and more creature comforts aren't doing these platforms any favors in the weight department.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Those are some pretty porky numbers...I'm still curious to see where the new C7 ZO6 ends up. I guess higher crash standards and more creature comforts aren't doing these platforms any favors in the weight department.
Sadly, more are gaining than losing weight... just like Americans!

As always, we can thank our government for it... after all, how ELSE will they make it easier to get better economy???

I figured the Mustang would gain/lose around 100 lb and had every reason to gain, since they added IRS. It's there...

The ZO6 will probably do the same, but we'll see. I'm a big fan of the car, but I'm not one who prefers a factory supercharged car. I prefer turbos. I just wanna see how fast it is!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
If these are correct, it's a REAL heavyweight for Mustangs without a S/C V8...

3852 for a GT... convertible.

3727 for GT automatic... and 3704 for the manual...

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/atta...2&d=1402615950

PS If these are accurate, it's bloated, but the thing is gonna be able to SCOOT!

What were the weights for the last gen Stangs?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

I just saw them posted, but the best I can go with is what Ford has put on their website... http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/spe...ns/capacities/

3618 lightest, 6M
3792 heaviest 6A vert.

By now, the numbers are probably all over the net, though I seriously haven't begun to look for that. However, I was told last night by a Ford guy ... those numbers are real and that link is a scanned page from the real Ford doc for dealers. I did notice it quickly found its way to JALOPeeee last night. They claimed to have gotten them from Wayne Akers Ford in WPB(FL) and I can believe that.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Guess? I would say absolutely. Insanely high crash standards, mandated backup cameras, air conditioned/heated seats, technogizmos, and the associated wiring. Short of going to carbon fiber construction, there si no way to reconcile what is mandated/wanted in cars and a decrease in weight.

For reference, my 1986 Cutlass Supreme with a full iron smallblock weighed 3307 lbs. Technology, NVH, and such were not its strong suits.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not much of a increase over the out going model and still lighter then a Camaro. Makes me curious if the 6th gen will be lighter then this or in this area.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well the 6th gen Camaro is supposed to be on the ATS platform which weighs ~3375lbs for RWD and ~3550 AWD.

Seems likely they could do a v8 Camaro that would weigh under 3500lbs fairly easy.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Not much of a increase over the out going model and still lighter then a Camaro. Makes me curious if the 6th gen will be lighter then this or in this area.
I figured below 100 lb change up or down and that's looking solid now. I believe the 6th gen will lose weight, but not necessarily be lower than the Mustang.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Well the 6th gen Camaro is supposed to be on the ATS platform which weighs ~3375lbs for RWD and ~3550 AWD.

Seems likely they could do a v8 Camaro that would weigh under 3500lbs fairly easy.
I don't see a V8 model under 3500. If for not other reason, that could put the Camaro too close to Corvette range. From the looks of it, even the 3.6L ATS coupe will be over 3500. I think I read 3529 somewhere.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I think Ford did well for a bigger car with IRS. They wont be the drag king anymore though without the SRA and some weight added.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Wow I just read some other topics on this forum and the hating is pretty serious in there!! A bunch are hating on the new Z28..WTF!? And that the Camaro look like **** LOLL Sorry but they can keep their Fusion haha. So much for calling the Camaro a pig..their 15' is one too hahahah.

Ive never met anyone thay said the Camaro looked like ****, even from Mustang owners. This forum is full of blinded fanboys.

Im sure the mpg will go up too.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Wow I just read some other topics on this forum and the hating is pretty serious in there!! A bunch are hating on the new Z28..WTF!? And that the Camaro look like **** LOLL Sorry but they can keep their Fusion haha. So much for calling the Camaro a pig..their 15' is one too hahahah.

Ive never met anyone thay said the Camaro looked like ****, even from Mustang owners. This forum is full of blinded fanboys.

No surprise, it outruns a GTR Track edition at it's own game - the Z/28 is no joke and there is no Mustang built that is really a competitor for it...specifically speaking of road course racing, since that is what the Z/28 was built for.

Hoping the next Gen of pony cars keep getting better. If the Stang can maintain weight with IRS, I would say that's a win. Drag racing king is up for grabs now though. Interested to see what the 6th gen will weigh.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
No surprise, it outruns a GTR Track edition at it's own game - the Z/28 is no joke and there is no Mustang built that is really a competitor for it...specifically speaking of road course racing, since that is what the Z/28 was built for.

Hoping the next Gen of pony cars keep getting better. If the Stang can maintain weight with IRS, I would say that's a win. Drag racing king is up for grabs now though. Interested to see what the 6th gen will weigh.
My bet is that the 16' Camaro will weight 3600lbs. That would be badass. Ford cant improve the Coyote engine enough to make the 15' Mustang as fast as the future Camaro with the new LT1.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

I think Ford did well for a bigger car with IRS. They wont be the drag king anymore though without the SRA and some weight added.
It's wider, but not as tall and on the same wheel base. I still think they could've kept the IRS, but too many magazines were down on Ford for too many years, among other things.

It doesn't matter what anyone says bad about the Z/28... It's a track prepared car and gets the job done. I'd never consider one, but I much prefer the 1LE because it's very good and leaves room to work on it while not being extremely rare and extremely expensive. I cannot let my car just sit, so the Z isn't for me, but that doesn't mean it won't perform.

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Right! Aside from a straight line, no Mustang can beat it. The GT500 is a capable car, but just can't maintain the pace with its braking system and smaller tires.

I fully expected the weight gain and for it to be fairly small, even with IRS. Of course, IRS alone is going to add, so there we were. The Camaro is bound to lose weight, but I don't think it will lose much.

My bet is that the 16' Camaro will weight 3600lbs. That would be badass. Ford cant improve the Coyote engine enough to make the 15' Mustang as fast as the future Camaro with the new LT1.
Idonno... 3600 is much lighter than I expect. If the ATS chassis, specifically, is the one the Camaro is on, the SS can't be expected to be that light. Sure, they could, but doing so will get expensive. Unlike the ATS, the V8 Camaro will need a beefier suspension and worse, rear. It's also going to wear larger brakes and wheels/tires... and that's if it gets that specific chassis... it could get the CTS version instead.

Don't count those chickens on the Mustang power. Ford actually sells the 5L at a rated 500+hp already, over the counter. Plus, there's a chance, small or otherwise, they'll add the 6.2L in a 4V build. That would be a Cobra/GT500 thing, I'm sure. Anyway, guesses galore on the new 5L range in hp from 430 all the way up to 467... torque is still low in most estimations. It will need whatever it gets, with IRS and larger wheels, tires and brake rotors.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The 4th gen weighed in around 3500. I'd be very surprised if the 6th gen was at 3600. 3700+ is my guess.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It's wider, but not as tall and on the same wheel base. I still think they could've kept the IRS, but too many magazines were down on Ford for too many years, among other things.

It doesn't matter what anyone says bad about the Z/28... It's a track prepared car and gets the job done. I'd never consider one, but I much prefer the 1LE because it's very good and leaves room to work on it while not being extremely rare and extremely expensive. I cannot let my car just sit, so the Z isn't for me, but that doesn't mean it won't perform.

Right! Aside from a straight line, no Mustang can beat it. The GT500 is a capable car, but just can't maintain the pace with its braking system and smaller tires.

I fully expected the weight gain and for it to be fairly small, even with IRS. Of course, IRS alone is going to add, so there we were. The Camaro is bound to lose weight, but I don't think it will lose much.

Idonno... 3600 is much lighter than I expect. If the ATS chassis, specifically, is the one the Camaro is on, the SS can't be expected to be that light. Sure, they could, but doing so will get expensive. Unlike the ATS, the V8 Camaro will need a beefier suspension and worse, rear. It's also going to wear larger brakes and wheels/tires... and that's if it gets that specific chassis... it could get the CTS version instead.

Don't count those chickens on the Mustang power. Ford actually sells the 5L at a rated 500+hp already, over the counter. Plus, there's a chance, small or otherwise, they'll add the 6.2L in a 4V build. That would be a Cobra/GT500 thing, I'm sure. Anyway, guesses galore on the new 5L range in hp from 430 all the way up to 467... torque is still low in most estimations. It will need whatever it gets, with IRS and larger wheels, tires and brake rotors.

Quick Reply: ACTUAL 2015 Mustang weights?