Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Recall for ALL 5th gen Camaro models

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recall for ALL 5th gen Camaro models

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...11-recall.html

This has to be near the end of the list and GM is covering it's bases altogether, obviously. This gal running the program AIN'T PLAYIN' Y'ALL!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JHL88
Damn.
Well, yeah... for a second... but look at it this way...

Overall, this is what I call An excellent strategy! Sure, your car has a recall it didn't have, but look at their handling things now... just call 'em all back, take the monetary hit, save yourself by doing so. It will probably cost GM less to do this than pay another overly useless fine to the government, which will have done nothing to help the issue, or face more lawsuits later.

This(to me) really is a great approach. It's going to be a major step in rebuilding customer confidence and that... sells vehicles.

Tellin' ya right now... She's got it goin' on! Rarely do we see any CEO with this much thinking ahead and total lack of shucking responsibility. That's the kind of woman a strong man could marry... but not a weak man, or she'll OWN YOU!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a knee jerk reaction........
Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Well, yeah... for a second... but look at it this way...

Overall, this is what I call An excellent strategy! Sure, your car has a recall it didn't have, but look at their handling things now... just call 'em all back, take the monetary hit, save yourself by doing so. It will probably cost GM less to do this than pay another overly useless fine to the government, which will have done nothing to help the issue, or face more lawsuits later.

This(to me) really is a great approach. It's going to be a major step in rebuilding customer confidence and that... sells vehicles.

Tellin' ya right now... She's got it goin' on! Rarely do we see any CEO with this much thinking ahead and total lack of shucking responsibility. That's the kind of woman a strong man could marry... but not a weak man, or she'll OWN YOU!
I agree, man. Most consumers are genuinely rational and don't expect a product to always be 100% perfect in every way. A lot of times being forward with an issue and proactive about correcting it in the right way leaves a customer more satisfied than if they had not had an issue at all.
Especially when you consider the reputation for both iffy quality and lackluster service that GM has had lately. i.e. - the whole "that car was made by old GM, as new GM we won't cover that"
Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Such a knee jerk reaction........
hmm...literally the motion that is causing this recall.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deft
hmm...literally the motion that is causing this recall.
Hence my phrasing.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

It would've been a "knee jerk" reaction, had they done it several months or even years ago.

Adding in recalls yestderay, this has become massive(3.4M more). However, it's ALL ABOUT consumer confidence and you never build that by ignoring a known problem, which is exactly what GM did for nearly a decade and it cost human lives and property. This CEO isn't having that legacy moving forward. KUDOS TO HER!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Except this Camaro recall has nothing to do with the switch. If people hit the fob with their knee they "might" hit the key in such a way as to turn off the car. The fix - remove the fob from the key. At some point consumers have to be somewhat responsible for operating the machine.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

They could buy a car with push button start... GM could offer them... do they already?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently the NHTSA is looking into ignition switch on potentially 1.25 million Chrysler vehicles now, as well.
Mainly looks like Grand Cherokee and Commander for bumping it turning off.
All minivans for a faulty spring which causes the key to sit in between acc and run settings. The vehicle runs, but safety equipment may not work.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/nhtsa-c...ans-and-jeeps/

I gotta say, while the minivan one is definitely troubling, most of these seem to be quite ridiculous. Including the Camaro and Cobalt (and etc.) recalls, it just seems like car companies are now having to shoulder the responsibility for people's incompetence.
"You mean if I bump the key in the same direction and fashion as I use with my hand to turn the car off, the car might turn off?! What a pile of ****!" and then there's the Cobalt problem; "What do you mean I can't hang 37lbs worth of crap off of my key chain?!"

Building on that, when did it stop being a driver's responsibility to know how to handle such a situation? "The car turned off! What do I do?!" I dunno...have you tried turning it back on?

/rant
Old 06-20-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Heh... I think people should have to pass at least and frankly, most importantly, a local test rather than a state test to get a license and many other things where competence, critical thinking, common sense, general safety and on and on is concerned. Apparently they've determined that since they'll basically give a DL to anyone willing to pay the fine, they might wanna make sure that those people are also coddled during the daily drives.

Idonno... but in GM's case, it seems obvious to me, they are rebuilding confidence. I hadn't read a thing about the Chrysler stuff and they're not involved in such an in depth turnaround. With the way our government regulates nearly everything but the air we breathe(because they haven't figured out how), nothing within the auto industry surprises me. I just know it's more and more difficult for any company which isn't "alternative" to sell a car or truck and that helps drive the "safety" aspect to a nearly intolerant level. It's showing here, for example. People tend to get pissed off over things that may affect their lives negatively, I know.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
Building on that, when did it stop being a driver's responsibility to know how to handle such a situation? "The car turned off! What do I do?!" I dunno...have you tried turning it back on?
Let us not forget the sticking toyota gas pedals, and the driver that first thought to call 911 and report uncontrolled acceleration but didn't think to shift into neutral.

It's best to assume that every driver on the road is incompetent; by doing so, I think one would be correct more often than not.

Quick Reply: Recall for ALL 5th gen Camaro models