Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM moving next gen full size trucks forward

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM moving next gen full size trucks forward

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclus...175834900.html

9 months sooner than previously planned according the the "supplier confirmed" story. This is a good thing if they get it done. Not only will it market sooner, but it's going to be lighter, just like the F150 and that's a good thing.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This can be viewed (2) ways:

1. Glass half-full: It is good that GM is recognizing the market pressure and responding sooner rather than later.

2. Glass half-empty: GM realized that their new truck launch was ****, Ford's new truck is about to continue dominance and RAM continues to surge, and short of the internet junkies (like us), not many people know the difference between the old trucks and these new ones except for a bumper step.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Fury
This can be viewed (2) ways:

1. Glass half-full: It is good that GM is recognizing the market pressure and responding sooner rather than later.

2. Glass half-empty: GM realized that their new truck launch was ****, Ford's new truck is about to continue dominance and RAM continues to surge, and short of the internet junkies (like us), not many people know the difference between the old trucks and these new ones except for a bumper step.
Personally, I like the new trucks, but that is totaly subjective. The ones I have seen on the road look good, and the GMC I sat in at the dealer was very nice.

One of the articles I read said the current GM trucks are still lighter than the new lightened Fords. Holy crap the current Fords must be heavy bitches, and if GM can lighten them more even btter.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Personally, I like the new trucks, but that is totaly subjective. The ones I have seen on the road look good, and the GMC I sat in at the dealer was very nice.

One of the articles I read said the current GM trucks are still lighter than the new lightened Fords. Holy crap the current Fords must be heavy bitches, and if GM can lighten them more even btter.
The standard engine/short bed/short box might be comparable, but with the higher models the F-150 has a several hundred lb advantage.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally don't dislike the new trucks, but to the casual buyer, not enough has changed on them to be appealing. Full blame has to fall on GM Marketing here. It is unreal how bad advertising for GM products is. If I weren't a gearhead, I'd know nothing about what is new in these trucks because commercials aren't focusing on those points. Ford is. RAM is. Look how well their trucks sell, even against the brand new GM twins.

I don't think the GM trucks are still lighter, but the weight differential is only about 100-200 lbs for the most part. Ford has been the heavyweight for quite awhile now. That said, I don't think going light weight will be enough of a selling point. I think performance, durability, PRICING, and to a lesser extent, MPGs are the deciding factors for potential conquest buyers. Loyalists will be loyalists no matter what the "home team" is selling. Ford consistently wins the truck wars through pricing. GM has already said they will not chase market share with lower pricing, and is now bragging about their average transaction price (ATP). In my opinion that is GM saying "We don't care to lead (in units sold), we just don't want to fall too far behind. We'll evolve just enough to remain relevant."
Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
***Repost Police***

From what I've seen it's more like 300-400lbs for the volume models.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM lacks way too much for me to even consider them when buying a new truck and it is crazy expensive compared option to option with other manufacturers.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I personally don't dislike the new trucks, but to the casual buyer, not enough has changed on them to be appealing. Full blame has to fall on GM Marketing here. It is unreal how bad advertising for GM products is. If I weren't a gearhead, I'd know nothing about what is new in these trucks because commercials aren't focusing on those points. Ford is. RAM is. Look how well their trucks sell, even against the brand new GM twins.
This is almost exactly what I was going to say after your 1st post, but I decided to wait it out... yeah, though... totally agree.

People tend to think, "Not enough was done" to the GM's... the simple fact is, most people don't know what was as compared to what is. They think the engines are exactly the same and all they see are cosmetic changes. GM, for it's awesome part, isn't TELLING anyone! It's like making a Prius 15% better on economy, but keeping that information within Toyota... What good did THAT do? Instead, GM says, 'Our V8 gets better economy than Fords V6!" and all that REALLY does is make a truck buyer look at the Ford V6... DUH! BRAG ABOUT YOU and don't mention them, IDIOTS! After all, if I'm looking for pulling power and I see that GM add, I'm wondering if the GM V8 matches Fords V8... so I look at the information and quickly see that while the GM I thought I wanted does have a better rating than Fords V6, that V6 is a TT and offers more load pulling torque for that 1mpg hwy difference. I digress... POOR ADVERTIZING DOESN'T WIN!

I don't think the GM trucks are still lighter, but the weight differential is only about 100-200 lbs for the most part. Ford has been the heavyweight for quite awhile now. That said, I don't think going light weight will be enough of a selling point. I think performance, durability, PRICING, and to a lesser extent, MPGs are the deciding factors for potential conquest buyers. Loyalists will be loyalists no matter what the "home team" is selling. Ford consistently wins the truck wars through pricing. GM has already said they will not chase market share with lower pricing, and is now bragging about their average transaction price (ATP). In my opinion that is GM saying "We don't care to lead (in units sold), we just don't want to fall too far behind. We'll evolve just enough to remain relevant."
I don't think GM trucks are still lighter either... The base 4.3L V6 is listed at 4,942 lb. Ford has said the 2.7L Ecoboost weighs... 4,942 lb, according to a recent story posted on Equipment World... com. That, according to them, is 732 lb lighter than a 2014 5L F-150... That's a Crew Cab, I'm sure.

Ford spokesman Mike Levine said the Super Crew 2WD 3.7L(they got the engine wrong- it's either the 3.5L(most probable) or the 2.7L TT) weighs in around "4,500 lb" and that makes it just under 250 lb lighter than the new Colorado. A crew cab full size pickup around 4,500 lb hasn't been seen in years, if ever.

That also tells us the RCSB weighs about 450 lb more than the CCSB new Ford. With that, clearly GM can match Ford or be lighter again, utilizing the same basic changes. That won't be easy though, considering cost concerns alone, plus time, etc.

Side note: I'm not really sure what to make of GM's weight listing of pickups. They say the 6.2L base weight is 5,156 lb. That's not so odd, but then the 4X4 base 6.2L weight is 5,370 lb... a difference of only 214 lb and that is a shock. Most often, it seems the difference in 2wd to 4X4 is well over 300 lb or at least very close to 300 lb.

When looking over their listings though, it quickly stops making sense... the 4X4 option weighs more for the 6.2L than it does the 5.3L... ain't it the exact same unit? Man, if they made a bigger, heavier unit for the 6.2L, that's a costly change.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the new GM trucks both are very good looking trucks and quite a bit was improved over the last generation which even those were good trucks IMO. If I were to buy a pickup it would be a GM or Ford I dont know why but I have never cared for Dodge trucks and some goes for the Toyota Tundra.

the '15 F-150 looks great and of course will continue to sell best but IMO the Sierra looks better but the F-150 looks better then the Silverado.

Love it.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Im a fan of those trucks too. I have an eye on a quicksilver All Terrain at the local GMC dealer. May go Monday to check it out.

Quick Reply: GM moving next gen full size trucks forward