Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GN and GNX make return? This time..with optional manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GN and GNX make return? This time..with optional manual?

..looks likely...

Loookie here

and here

2.0l turbo and 3.6l twin turbo are the likely powerplants.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish it were the 3.6 TT for the GNs and T-Types and the newest CTS-V V8/Blower combo for the GNX.

For a GNX to be able to get walked on by a base Corvette, Caddy Sedan, Mustang, etc...that just sucks *****.

This is my Turbo Buick fanboy opinion.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm excited. 3.6TT sounds good.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

4 doors?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meh. Some things are better left alone. Those will do the storied name plates no justice.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Not enough to do the name any justice like said above... Lacking major power to live up to what it was back in the day.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Not enough to do the name any justice like said above... Lacking major power to live up to what it was back in the day.
Just leave it alone... unless they put something like a turbo 5.3L or something cool. Which they never will.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
I'm excited. 3.6TT sounds good.
I'd like that and it sure beats a "300ish hp" 4cyl.

Originally Posted by mac62989
4 doors?
OH! I would surely hope not.

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Meh. Some things are better left alone. Those will do the storied name plates no justice.
Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
Originally Posted by JHL88
Just leave it alone... unless they put something like a turbo 5.3L or something cool. Which they never will.
C'mon now... all 3 of you are acting as if the 3.6L wouldn't be good enough and it's like you haven't even considered the fact, all GN's were V6 powered cars and the 3.6L TT makes more power(by far) than any of them from the 80's.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by It'llrun
C'mon now... all 3 of you are acting as if the 3.6L wouldn't be good enough and it's like you haven't even considered the fact, all GN's were V6 powered cars and the 3.6L TT makes more power(by far) than any of them from the 80's.
They need to tweak it to make close to 500hp, so it will keep up with the Corvette. The 86-87 models did. This one (at least the GNX) should too.

Personally, I don't mind them being a 4-door.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the 4-door thing is a dead issue. Same reason the Charger didn't get 2 doors. Look at the sales of 2 doors for anything not named Mustang/Challenger/Mustang/Corvette. There are just not the sales to warrant the added expense.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

After years of speculation about the return of the Buick Regal Grand National line, our sources tell us that General Motors has decided to bring back the coveted nameplate. GM’s filings with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office solidify the claims.
That's how you keep rumours that X car manufacturer is reviving Y plate going on for more than 10 years.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but there's more competition nowadays for high HP cars. If Buick really wants to make an impression especially on the younger crowd they're going to have to set themselves apart some. At least a 400hp F.I. engine they should consider.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Ross-
They need to tweak it to make close to 500hp, so it will keep up with the Corvette. The 86-87 models did. This one (at least the GNX) should too.

I don't mind them being 4-door either... not at all, but I would prefer a dr in the looks sense alone.

The 3.6L TT is already a 420hp engine and to make it more powerful would required that increase for Cadillac as well and honestly, I don't think that is in their plan(though it would be cool). As much as "our cars" are high powered... MOST CARS aren't in the league of 400+ hp...

Making it outrun the Corvette BECAUSE IT DID before... silly. The Corvette it beat in 1987 is a JOKE compared to the current model. Expecting a GN to go there... you may as well demand a rocket propelled GN.

Yea, but there's more competition nowadays for high HP cars. If Buick really wants to make an impression especially on the younger crowd they're going to have to set themselves apart some. At least a 400hp F.I. engine they should consider.
Most competition doesn't come close to 420hp. As I said above, ours... but most people don't buy what we here do... Most have something like my Escape for a DD... 240hp... 420hp is another world and most cars just don't get that much power. Not that 420 will be a limit or anything with the 3.6L TT... I'd expect that to be tweaked to 500 or so within a week of delivery.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The twin turbo 3.6 makes 420hp in the VSport Caddy. I think that's more than enough in either the current chassis or ATS chassis if they make the switch.

The GN and GNX were so cool because of their time period. A modern Camry would've been a contender for fastest production car in the world back then. IMO, as long as it peforms close to the level of the base corvette and, more importantly, looks utterly sinister and badass it will be a worthy successor.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn’t mean to imply that they weren't cool cars. I like them, but I don't think they can carry the GN and especially the GNX name plate. Those cars were feared and revered. Even today if I see a GNX somewhere, I just stop and stare in awe of it.

These would need to be CTSV fast to generate that kind of impression.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99FRC
I didn’t mean to imply that they weren't cool cars. I like them, but I don't think they can carry the GN and especially the GNX name plate. Those cars were feared and revered. Even today if I see a GNX somewhere, I just stop and stare in awe of it.

These would need to be CTSV fast to generate that kind of impression.
Hmm... on the ATS chassis... 420hp and 3600-3700 lb... That would be a solid 13 second car from the factory and that would be enough to make most people who like the model in general, want one. It may even eek out a 12 with the right gears, etc.

Buick hasn't got to make a Corvette or Corvette killer, guys... Buick ONLY needs to make a better GN and basically... ANY GN they offer today, though it won't be a G-body, will be better than even the GN-X.

People TODAY fear and revere the GN... when I tooled the 86 and my neighbor before me cruised her 82(Turbo Regal)... nobody FEARED these cars! They simply got STUNNED if they couldn't already beat a stock Mustang GT and tried a drag race against us. In stock Form, the GN was the quickest GM produced in 1987... but that doesn't mean before and after 1987 too and personally, I think the car was really cool, but nothing like you can have today.

PS... Expect any GN to easily hit the 42-45k price tag area and LIKELY right around 50k for anything labeled with an X. With that, I won't buy one... but I'd want to just because.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Banned

Are they putting the CTS-V sport engine in them? Lol nvm should have read all the responses
Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a 32 year old with a professional job. I just bought a 2014 Copper Red Metallic Regal GS. I can't tell you the compliments I get or the "what is that" questions. It has only the 19s and for '14 it got the Caddy 2.0 turbo and AWD. Magazines have bragged how well it handles and performs - a recent MT put it up against a BMW, Mercedes & a VW, you'd be surprised how the Regal did.

It's nowhere near as fast as my 98 GS, but from a boost launch it will scratch all four tires. With a tune and intake I've read of companies picking up over 70hp. AWD, boosted GM 4-cylinder, 19" wheels, sport seats, etc., it's really a cool car; caught my attention for sure.

I'm definitely a Buick guy, and have been closely following everything on the future GN....
Old 09-10-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is my straight forward opinion. I don't think a Buick GNX should be able to get it's *** handed to it in a 1/4 mile by a base V8 powered Corvette, Camaro or Mustang.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Banned

Here is my straight forward opinion. I don't think a Buick GNX should be able to get it's *** handed to it in a 1/4 mile by a base V8 powered Corvette, Camaro or Mustang.
Its not a sports car so i think it should...

Quick Reply: GN and GNX make return? This time..with optional manual?