Old 06-02-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 6th gen sales still not picking up

http://www.torquenews.com/106/chevro...lead-may-sales
Old 06-02-2016, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Not sure why the author of this article always seems so shocked that 6th gen sales are so much lower than Mustang. I really don't think there is much of a mystery here. Styling is subjective, but there is no question that many people find base V8 6th gen pricing to be a turn off. It may be "improved" from the 5th gen, it may be (is) superior to Mustang in terms of performance, but it's just not improved enough or superior enough to justify the cost difference for the average shopper apparently.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Add to it that a lot of enthusiasts ordered their cars and have received them, so now we're down to the car selling on its cosmetics and pricing to the rest of the buyers, and those are two major issues the new car has (styling and price).

Even the Challenger outsold the Camaro in May. If this continues for the next couple months (and I see no reason why it wouldn't), I see some nice incentives coming this fall on 2016s.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

big panic at camaro6.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454774
Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is early for GM to panic (forums always panic), but another month or two of this and I'd be expediting a refresh like they did on the Silverado...
Old 06-02-2016, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I think it is early for GM to panic (forums always panic), but another month or two of this and I'd be expediting a refresh like they did on the Silverado...
you make some good points. it is early in this cars generation and GM was smart in leaving this car plenty of room to expand and grow looks and performance wise which they are going to anyway.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Best post in that thread (#54):

It's priced too high. You can talk about "value" for your dollar all you want. The market is speaking. The consumers aren't seeing it.
The cost, even if justifiable, of all the improvements on this car may have pushed MSRP beyond the center of the target audience. There was also a good point made about dealer stock consisting of too many highly optioned cars - something which is pretty common practice but only serves to further compound the sticker shock.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Best post in that thread (#54):
It's priced too high. You can talk about "value" for your dollar all you want. The market is speaking. The consumers aren't seeing it.
The cost, even if justifiable, of all the improvements on this car may have pushed MSRP beyond the center of the target audience.
I read an article about the SS sedan just this morning where the author was raving about how GM was just "giving this much performance away," and used the phrase "bargain" quite a bit. Just like the Camaro, it is a lot of car for the money, but the price on these things is just too high for the target market. They are both a lot of car for the money, but only the people that can afford them would call them bargains. The rest of the potential buyers have to look elsewhere, and Ford is more than happy to show them a Mustang.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's simple. They are priced too high. About $10k higher than equally equipped Mustangs.

There's just no way I'd pay nearly $48k for a 2SS when I could buy a fully loaded GT with a TVS brand new for the same price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...m=201586543154

Last edited by -Ross-; 06-03-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

In further reading of that Camaro6 thread, I see it was mentioned by at least one poster that dealers are willing to negotiate significantly on the price. I don't know if this is true or not as I don't know anyone locally who has bought or attempted to buy a 6th gen, but if that's the case then it's a big mistake on GM's part IMO. Why set MSRP so much higher than the competition but then allow your dealers so much wiggle room? I know some people really feel like they've accomplished something when they "beat" their dealer down to a much lower price, but you have to already be pretty serious to start contacting dealers and discussing pricing. Many more people will look at the MSRP online and simply move on before even considering negotiation, and the sales figures seem to reflect this.

Or perhaps this willingness to negotiate is just something recent, in response to slow sales.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In further reading of that Camaro6 thread, I see it was mentioned by at least one poster that dealers are willing to negotiate significantly on the price. I don't know if this is true or not as I don't know anyone locally who has bought or attempted to buy a 6th gen, but if that's the case then it's a big mistake on GM's part IMO. Why set MSRP so much higher than the competition but then allow your dealers so much wiggle room? I know some people really feel like they've accomplished something when they "beat" their dealer down to a much lower price, but you have to already be pretty serious to start contacting dealers and discussing pricing. Many more people will look at the MSRP online and simply move on before even considering negotiation, and the sales figures seem to reflect this.

Or perhaps this willingness to negotiate is just something recent, in response to slow sales.
This also turns off people that do not have strong personalities and willingness to negotiate. Even if people know they can get a good deal by doing so, some people just don't like to haggle.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

as i have mentioned numerous times. i had to wait for years before dealers were moving off anything significant on 5th gens. then as 6 gens were arriving i got money off and 0 per.

now im seeing dealers discount them already.

i dont want sales to tank but i do hope to get a good deal on a 6th gen in a few years.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

**** maybe they should try advertising the car.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

you know what? you have a point.

it got to where WTF was a 5th gen going to get here it was advertised so much before they finally arrived.

now you have to search you tube to find out about a 6th gen where as before youd see 5th gens in movies and commercials constantly it seemed.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at them and they do look nice but for the price best to just step up to a vette.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sat in a 6th gen for the first time last week and it is noticeably smaller inside. I put my daughters in the back of my car all the time now and there is no way they could get back there in the 6. The front seat was touching the back seat in the same driving position. There literally is no way I would ever buy one now. If I want a 2 seater, it's Vette all the way. The whole reason I sold my Vette and bought a Camaro was to get my girls in the back seat and have a car that is more usable.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Michael Bay just tweeted a pic of the new Bumblebee. Seems to me GM is about to run another 2+ hour ad for the Camaro next spring/summer.

More to the point, they really need to run an ad stressing the differences between the 5th and 6th Gen, mainly the all new engine, chassis, lighter weight, revised (vastly improved in my opinion) interior, etc. Those points won't be made in a 2+ hour explosion-**** movie.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Everybody can't afford to pay 700 plus dollars a month plus FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE for 5 years or longer on the new SS. Yes they nice cars but good grief people have to eat these days and need a roof over they head.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree they have priced themselves out of the market a bit. But with these whining *** bitches out here always wanting more features and nicer interiors it coukd only be expected.

Tusky is right......the cost of ownership all the way around is higher. Here in VA we have personal property tax we have to pay every 6 months. A 40k car will cost you almost 1k every 6 months just to pay the state, that with rising ins....... Not worth it to me.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

lately I've had the itch for a gen 6 as a daily driver to match my black 69 Camaro..last Friday I pulled them up on the chevy website and decided I want a 2ss. I saw the MSRP and immediately hit the X in the top right corner. I can get a low mileage C6 z06 for those prices. insane.

Quick Reply: 6th gen sales still not picking up