Old 07-02-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default mid engine c8?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

This was basically confirmed earlier this year, though the test shots actually prove it.

Problems -

- Long nose, short deck. That has been signature Corvette for decades. bye bye.

- Ends the era of America's sports car being truly American. The Italians do mid-engine. Germans have their signature rear. American's do front engine, rear drive V8's. I think there are one or two of us around that kind of like that platform.

- Price creep. America's sports car has always been relativly affordable. A base model starting at $80K. I can afford to own, no way in the world I ever would. I know inflation blah blah, but S is getting ridiculous. It's NOT a Ferrari. It's a Corvette.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I agree with all the points above, but especially this one:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
A base model starting at $80K. I can afford to own, no way in the world I ever would. I know inflation blah blah, but S is getting ridiculous. It's NOT a Ferrari. It's a Corvette.
A quick search reveals that 2017 base Corvette MSRP is $55,450. So we're going to see a $25,000 jump in base price in just two model years? Crazy. I guess GM is looking to seriously limit Corvette production and make it more of an exotic/supercar than a mass produced sports car. Not sure that's the right move for this platform in the long term, but it's their move to make.

I'm not the target buyer for this car anyway as I have no real interest in the Gen V+ SBCs, but I would still like to get an LS3 C6 at some point and this base price will likely bring depreciation of the late C6s and C7s to nearly a grinding halt.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally I more expected them to do a different car and keep the normal format too...but maybe they are just going to let the Camaro fill the front engine/rwd and push the Corvette into true supercar territory. Really makes sense in some regards...the 6th gen Camaro performs extremely similar for a good bit less money.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

The corvette already IS in supercar territory. At least the Z06 is.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

The corvette already IS in supercar territory. At least the Z06 is.
Performance wise yes, but maybe they are seeking to improve overall image and quality to match that performance
Old 10-06-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Well that's exactly it. They are facing a known problem --- Corvette fans aren't being born enough anymore. The more youthful guy doesn't identify or care about the vette as much as older generations. That includes guys around 30-ish who are coming into money and they know they need to do something to make it more "cool" and exotic. I read about this awhile back now. I've always fancied vettes as older man cars anyway. Out of 10 newer ones at my cars and coffee I don't think one owner is under 50. So I guess they are swinging for the fences trying to get young guys with some money into these things.....

I think it's a dramatic gamble but hell, I'm sure I'll like the thing, regardless of the fact that the whole idea is sacrilegious.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
...but maybe they are just going to let the Camaro fill the front engine/rwd and push the Corvette into true supercar territory. Really makes sense in some regards...the 6th gen Camaro performs extremely similar for a good bit less money.
I see two main problems with this, over the long term:

- Tough times. It will be harder to keep the platform alive when the economy contracts. This sort of car is already a luxury purchase, and rarely a primary vehicle in any household. That's a hard enough sell when people aren't rolling in extra money, but pushing the base price up by 45% in two years is already going to alienate some of their current core financial demographic - and that will be exponentially worse during bad periods.

- R&D cost. As sales volume recedes, recovering the cost of R&D for new engines/new generations of the platform will fall to fewer units....so future MSRP increases will also have to be larger than previously typical. Runaway pricing year over year could be the result, pushing it even farther out of reach in an even quicker period of time. The alternative to such would be much slower roll-out of updates, making the platform prohibitively expensive as well as stagnant. Neither is ideal.

GM is already having a hard time moving Camaro since the base price jump for 6th gen. Great performer or not, better than Mustang or not, they just aren't selling like they used to. Perhaps GM should consider this before making such a bold pricing move with Corvette. It's already a low volume car, whether or not more profit can really be made (and sustained) with even lower volume is a big risk.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Well that's exactly it. They are facing a known problem --- Corvette fans aren't being born enough anymore. The more youthful guy doesn't identify or care about the vette as much as older generations. That includes guys around 30-ish who are coming into money and they know they need to do something to make it more "cool" and exotic. I read about this awhile back now. I've always fancied vettes as older man cars anyway. Out of 10 newer ones at my cars and coffee I don't think one owner is under 50. So I guess they are swinging for the fences trying to get young guys with some money into these things.....
I don't think that raising the base price so much, mid engine or not, will help in this regard. The group of 30-somethings that can afford an impractical toy/extra summer car in the $55k range is already small, it's going to be an even smaller pool when you push that to $80k. And those guys likely still won't see the car as an exotic....probably just overpriced.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Guess it depends on what it looks like and how well received it is. Ford GT and Viper being examples...but the Viper got killed off for low sales right?

Not saying it's a smart move but maybe they think its a win win by pushing the Corvette up in prestige and people who can no longer afford it might settle for the Camaro and bring it's sales up? Could be a case of Icarus flying too close to the sun and flop too.

I dunno, just talking out of my *** bored at work. I don't have or claim to have much real valuable insight lol
Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys are doing A LOT of assuming with the very limited information we have.
There is no actual proof that this will actually be a Corvette. I'm betting its going to be a Cadillac(Cien style), some different named Chevy or another brand.
I remember years ago when "people in the know" were swearing up and down there was going to be a "4 door covette" coming out, then the CTS-V rolled out. Then the rumor of a Corvette SUV, later the Trailblazer SS rolled out.
Just keep an open mind... Just because people are assuming its a Corvette, or this test mule with parts bin parts looks like a Corvette, doesn't mean squat.

Also there is nothing even implied that this mid engined car will be a standard base car. Its more than likely GM will continue to make the Covette as always and make a special limited run of this mid engined car(with corvette tech) to counter the new Ford GT.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You guys are doing A LOT of assuming with the very limited information we have.
There is no actual proof that this will actually be a Corvette. I'm betting its going to be a Cadillac(Cien style), some different named Chevy or another brand.
I remember years ago when "people in the know" were swearing up and down there was going to be a "4 door covette" coming out, then the CTS-V rolled out. Then the rumor of a Corvette SUV, later the Trailblazer SS rolled out.
Just keep an open mind... Just because people are assuming its a Corvette, or this test mule with parts bin parts looks like a Corvette, doesn't mean squat.

Also there is nothing even implied that this mid engined car will be a standard base car. Its more than likely GM will continue to make the Covette as always and make a special limited run of this mid engined car(with corvette tech) to counter the new Ford GT.
My statements were just based on the article, conversation based on what was linked and what's in print. If it's not true, then obviously none of them apply. If it is true, then all of them apply.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

The head of Corvette development quasi-acknowledged this earlier in the year. I don't recall which magazine I read it in, I get all of the new car mags. And this happened well after the rumor had been floating around for awhile.

I did hear the idea of this being labeled as a ZR1 or something and having the "normal" vette remain as is.

I don't claim to have some sort of inside knowledge, so I say what RPM said.

I would think that at this point GM would finally give up on the whole Cadillac sports car concept - hasn't worked out too well in the past.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has stated many times they have reached the limits of what they can achieve with a front engine/rear drive layout. In order to stay on the cutting edge, and competitive, they must evolve. I prefer the current configuration, but see the reasoning.

Current config will sell side-by-side with the proposed - possible - rear engine car for a handful of years.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

The vette has a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution so it's not a huge problem. I understand the benefits of mid engine, but the advantages come with disadvantages as well.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah I don't get why people think that the Vette needs to be a mid-engine car to take it to the next performance level. It seems to me that the front engine, RWD cars hold the important track records here in the US. The Z06 and Viper ACR are kicking ***. Look at the 2:44 time the Z06 ran at VIR or all the records the Viper ACR holds. That car ran a 1:28 lap at LS which is 1.5 seconds quicker than a Porsche 918 has ran there, and that was Randy P running it for Motor Trend and not Dodge hiring some expert drive to spend a week there running lap after lap to try and get the record.

I don't want Vette to go AWD but IMHO it's performance would benefit more from AWD as opposed to becoming a mid-engine car.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I would rather see them get more into reducing the weight if the car. It's crept up pretty good on the c7. Awd would be awesome but come with a weight penalty tho.

Maybe this new supercar-ish thing will be built and they could reduce the price of the normal vette some. Think v8 miata with a zora super car.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^That would be nice. Not everyone needs or even wants a Vette that can keep up with the highest price exotics.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I would rather see them get more into reducing the weight if the car. It's crept up pretty good on the c7. Awd would be awesome but come with a weight penalty tho.

Maybe this new supercar-ish thing will be built and they could reduce the price of the normal vette some. Think v8 miata with a zora super car.
100% agree. I'd also like to see another 7+ liter SB in the Z06 instead of a boosted motor. I'd possibly rather have a C7 GS than a new Z06.

The things that made the C6Z so awesome was clean looks, low/balanced weight, and a badass N/A 7 liter SB.

Quick Reply: mid engine c8?