Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

camaro sales still lagging

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who considered themselves a Camaro guy, having owned 8 Camaro's and one T/A I can give my input on why I think the Camaro lags the Mustang.

I tried buying a 5th Gen in 2012 and looked at the 6th Gen when it came out and each time I bought a Mustang. I like to drive my cars, sometimes for long periods of time and to be blunt the 6th gen is not a comfortable car. The visibility is horrendous. Who wants to go for a nice Sunday ride when all you can see is the road and slivers out the sides and back. Also, I like to hang my left arm up on the sill and when you try to do that in the 6th Gen my elbow is higher than my head, and the door rest is too low. The interior is so bad that Chevy had to put that awkward little indent above the rear seats.
The rest of the interior is ok except the way the tablet-like thing was placed on the center stack with the cheapest, squeaky looking plastic.
The car is a design exercise that should've had a little more real world livability put into production.

As for the performance it is a world beater for sure. But I don't live my life a 1/4 mile at a time or chase .1 secs around a track. I want a car I actually enjoy driving, not just looking at or talking about.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Had to take the wife's Equinox in for the free oil change and got a chance to sit in the new 6th Gen. While I absolutely love the improvements to the interior, it was extremely tight in there. As big as the car is on the outside, it is very cramped on the inside. The back seats make the ones in my 4th Gen look like a Tahoe. There is no room at all for anyone to sit behind me once the seat is adjusted to my needs.

Love the performance, but I'm 100% out at this point.

I've love to go after a C6, but I am at a point where I need a (usable) back seat, so all Vettes are out as well...
Lots of truth in this post.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I can't say i agree with your post. You bought a vert......I'm pretty sure you can probably see out of any vert fine.

5gen interior is every bit as good as mustang interior. I actually prefer the 5gen because i don't like the cluster **** of buttons on the mustang interiors. It looks cheap by comparison. Both seem comfortable enough.

Speaking of awkward. .....flip down rear headrests look terrible in the mustangs. And when flipped up the mustang offers less visibility than a 5gen.

I kinda like the high belt line myself. It seems a bit safer. I'm only 5-6 and have 0 issues seeing out a 5gen or 6gen.

My biggest gripe on all the pony cars is the size of the car for the lack of rear seat room. 5gen wins the rear seat room contest for the most room.

Quick Reply: camaro sales still lagging