Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2019 Camaro face lift....looks horrible

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it has to do with Nascar.

The present Camaro ZL1 in nascar is in the process of having it *** kicked royally. ALL the Chevy teams SUCK. Front to rear balance is horrible at tracks 1 mile plus.

If the guys at Hendrick can't get it to work.....no one can.

Being this is a front and rear end fascia change.....it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
Being interested in F-bodes during the 1970-1981 and 1982-02 years I prefer them to be long, wide and low as they were. Although 67-69s were popular I never cared for the look. The Retro Bumblebee years and now represent the small 1st Gen come back bloated due to safety regs. At least the previous fat gen did not have the numerous curves and waves as the latest gen does.

Well there is always the clean lines of the Challenger. 44XXlbs of two door coupe. Argh
I'm actually shopping Challengers, currently. The SRT 392 has my attention, and since I don't ever go to the track, the fact that it is overweight concerns me very little.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998SSSLP

The present Camaro ZL1 in nascar is in the process of having it *** kicked royally. ALL the Chevy teams SUCK. Front to rear balance is horrible at tracks 1 mile plus.

lol. no.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998SSSLP

Seeing that the Nascar is just a clip on body that they can basically style how the want, I don't see how doing a face styling change on a production car would effect that at all. The shape and everything is still the same even...

And god i would hope they wouldn't ruin a car like the Camaro over something as lame as nascar.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM always ruins what they end up bringing out because they just can't produce a car a leave it. They gotta keep screwing with it until the mess it up!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I'm actually shopping Challengers, currently.
This is probably where I'd go as well, if I was going to buy something new in this segment. In fact, I have looked briefly at the various 392 cars over the last couple of months, but I'm not really serious at this point.

6th gen Camaro wasn't a very good looking car to begin with, to me, so this styling update doesn't really change anything for me. I'm still not interested.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

My thought is that the reason they made it look the way they did is because Chevy's current style engineers kind of suck and have poor design taste. C7 Vette = ugly, GEN5 Camaro = ugly, SS = meh, GEN6 Camaro also = meh, updated GEN6 Camaro = ugly, new Silverado = not very good looking, Colorado = not as good looking as the new Ranger. GM needs to clean house as hire some better design engineers IMO. Their chassis and drivetrain engineers are great. Their styling designers not so much.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Seeing that the Nascar is just a clip on body that they can basically style how the want, I don't see how doing a face styling change on a production car would effect that at all. The shape and everything is still the same even...

And god i would hope they wouldn't ruin a car like the Camaro over something as lame as nascar.
Yeah, I can't imagine they'd make any changes to the production car for NSACAR, for the reasons you just pointed out.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it funny how many people are talking about "yeah I'll go for the Challenger" when a big complaint against the 5th gen was how heavy it was, it shouldn't be that heavy, etc and the Challenger is even heavier than the 5th gen.

I'd take a current 6th gen SS over a Challenger any day. Challenger is heavy, big, and boring looking, IMO.

I actually like the C7. But hey.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I find it funny how many people are talking about "yeah I'll go for the Challenger" when a big complaint against the 5th gen was how heavy it was, it shouldn't be that heavy, etc and the Challenger is even heavier than the 5th gen.
I certainly can't speak for the masses on this, but I was never one to complain about 5th gen weight as a primary concern, or really at all. My dislike for it was due to styling, seating position/dash layout, visibility, and (probably foremost) the disappointment of the L99 for auto cars (should have gotten an LS3 stock, same as auto C6s). Yeah, I know the L99 can be converted, but I didn't think I should have to do that to a (at the time I test drove one) brand new car.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

I'd take a current 6th gen SS over a Challenger any day. Challenger is heavy, big, and boring looking, IMO.

I actually like the C7. But hey.
Back when the 5th Gen debuted, the immediate comparison by most on this board was the weight of it vs. the 4th Gen. The Challenger had no prior model to compare to. With the Mustang going up in weight as well, the weight became a non-issue, but at release it was shocking.

Also, my priorities have changed in the 10 years since the 5th Gen debuted. I am married with a kid now, so back seat space actually matters to me. I'd overlook it if the Camaro had the right look/packaging/price, but since it doesn't, I can't compromise further. The Challenger, for better or worse, gives me the space I need at the price I need with the performance level I want. Yup, the Camaros and Mustangs of the world will whoop my *** in almost everything. Fortunately, it has never been about driving the fastest thing on the street for me (or I'd be in a Vette of some kind - and likely still single). To each their own, of course, but for me the Camaro just doesn't fit my world anymore.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My comment was intended towards the vehicle being ponderous regarding the weight. Never cared about being the fastest.

I went from a 2850lbs Fox Mustang to the 3750lb GTO and the difference was noticeable. Car feels much heavier in driving, cornering, steering, etc.
Have never driven a Challenger. I think 44XX would be noticeable vs. GTO weight.

I am thinking the manual transmission is more fun in a light car and auto. is ideal for a heavy one.