Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

I like the idea of electric crate motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I like the idea of electric crate motors

So when Chevy revealed the eCOPO at SEMA, one of the really intriguing things the company mentioned was the possibility of offering electric crate motors. Since the one in eCOPO will bolt to most GM transmissions, it could make for interesting projects. Personally, I think a world where vintage iron was retrofitted with electric drivetrains could be amazing. How amazing would it be if the roads looked like the ones in Gattaca, which had all kinds of killer vintage cars on them. I think that would be so cool. What do you think?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

No....
Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

And WTF is Gattaca?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ridiculous.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

I love it. The thing is i grew up building and racing model grade rc cars and i know the ridiculous power of electric. Trust me fellas, when the electric motor technology, mainly battery technology improves, its going to beat the pants off of the gasoline engine. Is it going to be fun and interesting and a challenge like building a gasoline engine is now? No. definitely not. It will be easy for anyone one to fast. In a way i'm excited to see it, but in a way I'm like, meh. I would like to have a neat little roadster thats electric for daily commuting that had a nice range. That would save me a ton on gas because my commute is a hour plus one way every day and its only 29 miles in distance.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Electric motors ftw......i wanna turbo one
Old 11-01-2018, 07:00 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
And WTF is Gattaca?
It's an awesome sci-fi movie. If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out!

Old 11-01-2018, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Toes
Ridiculous.
Not at all, Think of an instant 100% torque and lots of it then add all wheel drive with virtually no wheel slip. Once they get power storage figured out you'll see some amazing time slips and still be able to drive it the same range as a gasoline powered vehicle. Think 0-60mph in the sub 2 second range.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its ridiculous how the power train is setup. Not a good way to use the instant torque. For install it works ok. But the reason why a Tesla is so quick is how they can modulate the power to the wheels. You don’t want a transmission off the motor you want it to go directly to the wheels. If they made a rear end with the motors in that an put the batteries an controllers under the hood it would give you more power to drive wheels.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Toes
Its ridiculous how the power train is setup. Not a good way to use the instant torque. For install it works ok. But the reason why a Tesla is so quick is how they can modulate the power to the wheels. You don’t want a transmission off the motor you want it to go directly to the wheels. If they made a rear end with the motors in that an put the batteries an controllers under the hood it would give you more power to drive wheels.
It's a simple concept that gets them cheap press, I doubt they had much of a budget to get it done. If it were a built from scratch design I doubt it would be anything like that.