Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Interesting Publicized 07 "Cobra" information

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting Publicized 07 "Cobra" information

Motor Trend put a special about the "2007 Shelby Cobra"

They say it will have the Ford GT 5.4 blown engine. No IRS.

I got it from this site:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=536176

The article can be seen there.

So, is this information more legit that the rumors floating around in everyones opinion? Honestly, I think this car may be too much car making the price way to much (I say atleast 50k for this car).

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

When I was at the NAIAS I was talking to some guy and I was saying that the SVT Cobra may not be back becasue of the Lightning not happening and all and this guy was like "Nope, it will be back by 2007 and SVT is still around and kicking".

Sounds like more than a rumor IMO and I have read other details that confirms the Cobra for 2007. Until then I think Saleen is working on a C6 or maybe a Z06 killer...

BTW at another site a guy was stating (adhemently) that the Cobra will have, let me quote:

Link to quote

Details:

- 465HP, 6-speed manual running in the low 12's with a trap speed of 120mph!

- You choose the rear suspension set up, either IRS or Solid Rear Axle with the IRS apparently pulling over 1.0g in the corners...

- The Price... in and around 30k.

Motor: 5.4 Supercharged, 3 valve heads (with HUGE valves), forged internals similar to the 4.6 (Crank, rods, etc), modestly rated (under rated actually) ~465 HP/495 lb ft Torque, using a twin screw S/C similar to that on the Ford GT but pullied differently, hence the lower HP. This motor was supposedly made official (in house only) just in the last few days.

Transmissions: 6 speed manuals standard with a heavy duty 5 speed auto (the tranny used on the Ford Superduty but programmed/geared differently) as an option in late '07 or the '08 M/Y.

Suspensions: A re-engineered, heavy duty IRS will be an option with a modified 3 link/panhard bar-live axle setup as the standard rear axle. SVT will be going for the Road Race buyer as well as the straight line racer with both axles optional. However, the Axle options are not set in stone as of the moment but look highly likely to be approved. The Cobra will be lowered about 1.5" from a stock GT.

Bodywork: The retro theme will continue with a serious nod to the '67 Shelby. The fenders may be flared more than the standard '05 but that is not for certain as of now. The ducktail will be factory installed. Also, no convertible is planned for now but no reason was given other than concerns over chassis reliability due to the torque volume."
Old 01-26-2005, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

If GM doesn't come out with a new Camaro I might look at this once it comes back out. 465 hp for around 30k is pretty nice.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Teching In

1. Shelby Cobra will come out but not in the mustang form.
2. I went to corral to post my info and people just flipped out. saying stuff like troll and what not, i mean those people were super pissed and like slamming their keyboards and i had no idea why
Old 01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

IMOHO I haven't trusted Motor Trend since they chose the 1993 Mazda Designed and built Ford Probe as the Domestic Car of the Year over the 1993 Firebird and Camaro.

Motor Trend, Road and Track, Automobile Mag, etc are all about 2-3 months behind the Internet Curve in terms of fresh news. I mean hoenstly the spy photos I see psoted online ar rehashed as "breaking news" in the magazines months later.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
IMOHO I haven't trusted Motor Trend since they chose the 1993 Mazda Designed and built Ford Probe as the Domestic Car of the Year over the 1993 Firebird and Camaro.

Motor Trend, Road and Track, Automobile Mag, etc are all about 2-3 months behind the Internet Curve in terms of fresh news. I mean hoenstly the spy photos I see psoted online ar rehashed as "breaking news" in the magazines months later.
I agree. The internet has virtually made magazines obsolete. Perfect example being the new Charger.

I actually saw the new Charger in person at the Detroit Auto Show before seeing it in Motor Trend. Granted the magazine arrived in the mail while I was at the show, but still a day late and a dollar short.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

magazines can't keep up with the pace of the internet. imagine they get one spy photo and it takes like what a month so they can put it into the next issue as in the internet that same spy photo will be seen by hundreds and thousands of people like us on all different types of forums.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

somehow, i have a real hard time believing it will be around 30k with all those specs. i'll have to see it to believe it.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

If it really has those specs then GM better bring one serious player to the table for the new Camaro. At least throw in the LS7 w/ a blower on the SS version for about 37k, now we would be talking. Ah, I can dream can't I?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Teching In

that looks more like a photo chopped version of the ford racing race 05 mustang. The cobra concept should be out in about 3 months and the real thing in 06.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Too many rumors to even worry about it right now. Its like trying to hold your hat on a Camaro rumor, you're bound to be let down sooner than picked up. And Im with Turo. I'll have to see 30k to believe it, right now...i'd probably say w/ those specs its going to be closer to the 05 Saleen prices than the base GT. (Which is like 43k vs 27k).

Quick Reply: Interesting Publicized 07 "Cobra" information