Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM creates one Chevy look

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM creates one Chevy look

Seems like General Motors has been getting a lot of Press. It is mostly bad though. Here are more details and may give more of a clue as to where GM is headed.

Source: Automotive News / March 21, 2005
-------------------------------------------------------
GM creates one Chevy look. By James B. Treece

Chevy brand -- from Daewoo-built cars to U.S. pickups -- will go common

INCHEON, Korea -- General Motors will unveil a design look for all Chevrolets, including North American nameplates, at the Frankfurt motor show in September.

It seems odd to debut a design theme for the Chevrolet brand at a European show. But GM intends to make Chevrolet the company's mass-market brand worldwide. Chevrolets are to be sold from Boston to Bonn to Beijing - and engineered and designed, in many cases, in Korea.

"Most of the product development for Chevy is going to happen either here or in North America," says David Lyon, executive director of Asia Pacific Design at GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. here.

GM Daewoo builds the Chevrolet Aveo sold in North America. It also builds cars to be sold as Chevrolets in China, India and Europe. Lyon heads the design studios, including one in Australia, that will style those vehicles.

Those cars have little in common with Chevrolet's full-sized SUVs and other trucks. "In the past, Chevy has not had the consistent look that it should have," Lyon says. "Occasionally, we'd take a vehicle and put a Chevy bow tie on it and that would be a Chevy." No more.

Chevrolet's SS concept, introduced at the 2003 Detroit auto show, has some of the design cues that are part of the new Chevy look.

"We don't want to have a global Chevy and a North American Chevy. Really, we can get to one Chevy," Lyon says. "We've been working on what is that look. It's been a collaborative North America-GM Daewoo project," led by Ed Welburn, GM's head of global design.

Styling cues

Photos of the new look are not available. Lyon describes the front-end styling cues as having "a little bit of a truck influence." A large grille opening has no metallic grillwork visible. About one-third of the way from the top of the opening, a horizontal bar extends across, bearing the Chevrolet bow-tie logo. The logo can vary in size depending on the vehicle.

Previously, Chevrolet has used a similar horizontal bar across a large chrome grille. But the bar got lost amid the metallic look of the grille, and the logo was difficult to see.

"You've got to be able to read it. On some trucks, the bow tie gets so big that it actually starts to crawl into the open area of the grille," Lyon says. "That's cool. Big logos - man, I love 'em. Can't be too big for me."

The look also uses "very powerful, separate fender forms," Lyon says.

Some of those design cues were seen on the Chevrolet SS concept car. That was a large, rear-drive V-8 performance car shown at the 2003 Detroit auto show. GM recently decided to tap its themes for all Chevrolets.

The new styling theme was approved in November. In early December, GM tested it successfully with focus groups in North America, Europe, China and Korea. Next summer, GM is expected to hold a forum to introduce the look to company insiders, dealers and select media, as it did for Saturn's new look last year.

No cookie cutter

The styling cues have been approved by Robert Lutz, GM vice chairman for product development. Global marketing executive John Middlebrook is preparing marketing plans to support the look.

Lyon sees some risk in trying to find a consistent look for such a broad lineup. The design cues will be kept to a minimum, he says.

"There's a little bit of history to this. You don't want to mess from scratch with one of the oldest names in the business. We're not interested in being in the business of retro, either," Lyon says.

"I can't stress enough that these aren't Russian dolls or cookie cutters or that you're not going to see this exact same look the same way for 20 years," he says.

"We want to avoid 'Here's the Chevy rulebook. Now you have to put all these things in whether it works on the car or not,' " Lyon says. "If we impose too many rules, studios don't have any flexibility to do what's right."
Old 03-21-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

In case you do not recall the 2003 Detroit Auto Show SS Concept car:

LINK to 2003 Auto show SS Concept
Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea................more cars that look identical
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hope they look like the Malibu Maxx YAAAAAAY J/K

Caddy pulled it off O.K.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:30 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is something that really sticks out...

Originally Posted by some stupid GM exec named Lyon
"That's cool. Big logos - man, I love 'em. Can't be too big for me."
Old 03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Like they didn't look alike before...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok , I'm thoroughly depressed now........
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The spy shots of the next Tahoe seem to mimick these styling traits.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Them talking about how they're relying so much on Korean designs only makes me think one thing if it happens.....GM will no longer be Race Inspired.....but Rice Inspired. It'll make me seriously reconsider buying another GM car if this happens.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
Them talking about how they're relying so much on Korean designs only makes me think one thing if it happens.....GM will no longer be Race Inspired.....but Rice Inspired. It'll make me seriously reconsider buying another GM car if this happens.

It will happen. There is no IF.

But, I understand where you are coming from and it pisses me off as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Well. I like the shark gills.

I don't think it's a terrible looking car... but I want my good old Chevy stuff. We need some new designers in this company.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Naa we need to wake the dead and bring some designers back, I could careless what country the design comes from, as long as its build here and it has the same feel you get now from a chevy. The car or truck has this american feel to it, thats whatI am talkin about. And yeah I know my '02 was built in Canada but hell they are close enough anyways, lol
Old 03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Teching In

I just want the Chevy brand to return to dominate the muscle vehicles seen and not the Mustang Shelby.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

GM, well, they have officially become gay. (That actually happened a little while ago)
Old 04-02-2005, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

I am on the way to HATE GM
Old 04-02-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IM already there. Hate GM
Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So first they KILL of the Firebird and Camaro, 2nd, they give us the insulting GTO with its crapy design , and to seal the deal they give us the piece of **** supercharged COBALT. WoW , im speachless , looks like GM hates it long time coustomers. I cant wait to see what comes next year, maybe a Supercharged 3 cylinder Crapbolt and the new SS Impala muscle car that will run on potatoes>>>

Quick Reply: GM creates one Chevy look