Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Dodge Neon is gone now to be replaced by...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dodge Neon is gone now to be replaced by...

Dodge Neon is gone now to be replaced by...
The Dodge Caliber...... I kind of hate to see the SRT4 go, it was actually becomeing a pretty cool little pocket rocket in it's own right, now it seams to have been replaced by a "starter-SUV"

Old 06-08-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Stupid move, I liked the SRT-4, just hate some of there owners The Skittle has turned into a Baby Ruth are you sure thats not replacing the PT Cruiser?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't make sense that Dodge would kill their entry-level sub compact. Ford has the Focus, Chevrolet has the Cobalt - the Caliber resembles nothing of that segment.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Shinkaze, do you have any pics? ...

I don't find it odd that Dodge would do something like this at all. The neon has been around for a while and something new is needed. Hopefully this car will catch on as well.

In comparison GM would keep the neon around until no one left on earth wanted one then discontinue the line, shut down the only plant that makes them, not have a replacement lined up, keep promising the public that something is in the works and should be around in 2-3 additional years, throw some crap at the buying public, then go bankrupt. Keep the faith...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 PM

WTF?! It's a Durango shrunk down to a compact? I don't get it.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

I think the rational is that the bread and butter sales of the Neon are folks looking for an affordable practical vehicle. By offering a entry level cross-over it makes it an affordable Toyota MAtrix (Pontiac Vibe). Probably beats out a Cavalier for practicality, and has some of the "prestige" of owning an SUV. Could be a good move for them. There is also some talk about Dodge making the Razor which would be a nice entry level two door coupe. I would particularly love it if they made the Razor concept (RWD with an SRT4 motor).
Old 06-08-2005, 03:22 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

they dumped the SRT4 for THAT??? Were they only selling 6 srt4's per week or what? I was just starting to like them...

Brad
Old 06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is fruckin dumb, my mom wouldnt even drive that, lol.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
It doesn't make sense that Dodge would kill their entry-level sub compact. Ford has the Focus, Chevrolet has the Cobalt - the Caliber resembles nothing of that segment.
Kinda does look like a Vibe/Matrix though.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Delux247
Kinda does look like a Vibe/Matrix though.
I'll agree, but I don't know if people cross shop the Neon with the Vibe. Maybe they do though.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

I'll agree, but I don't know if people cross shop the Neon with the Vibe. Maybe they do though.
Apparently Chevy sees the need for a similar vehicle.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But...but...its....UGLY.

What the **** is wrong with design departments nowadays? Simplicity, for christ's sake.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

a post from a few months ago:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=dodge+caliber

it's marketed more globally than the neon was......dodge has made a lot of money with it's bold styling the last few years, why stop now.....
Old 06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Apparently Chevy sees the need for a similar vehicle.
Although the Maxx has it's place, do you really think people looking at a Cobalt are interested in a Malibu?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Although the Maxx has it's place, do you really think people looking at a Cobalt are interested in a Malibu?
I think they would be if the Malibu was priced the same as the Neon/Caliber
Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
I think they would be if the Malibu was priced the same as the Neon/Caliber
the malibu is one of the most non-descript vehicles of the last decade......oatmeal an a world of jalepino peppers....sleeping pill taking control....and i'm spent......
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

what the ugly is that
Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

the caliber is just one of a few cars being built on this platform, it'll pry have a more "car-ish" look in a later model.......and it's not like the srt-4 has to die with the neon, i think most people bought the car for the drivetrain, not it's looks....
this is from edmunds.com:
"Power will come from three different four-cylinder engines displacing 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 liters. According to the Dodge enthusiast site allpar.com, the engines will deliver 140, 150 and 170 horsepower respectively and may send their power through a continuously variable transmission. The prospect of a diesel engine in the U.S. lineup is also a strong possibility as is a turbocharged version of the 2.4-liter engine."

i would guess the 1.8(or 1.9 as stated on allpar i believe) would be the diesel, the 2.0 will be standard and the 2.4 will be a turbo srt4.......the pt cruiser is obviously dying on the same neon platform, so my feeling is that the caliber is gonna help with that gap(maybe even with a non-srt4 turbo 2.4, like the cruiser gt) and then maybe a sedan will pop up.....

edit: actually the 1.8 is one of the joint venture engines.....don't know why they'd need 3 different 4cylinders....maybe for the foreign market
Old 06-09-2005, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

It looks like since the new Chevy HHR copied the PT Cruiser that DC copied the Vibe and called it a Caliber.

About the Malibu comments, I bought my wife one last year and it's a pretty good little car. We got this car because I didn't want to buy a Honda like everybody else does. We got the LT model and the only option we didn't get was the XM and the Onstar. I like the a/c controls because all you've got to do is set it at what temp you want and it automatically adjusts itself and slows as it gets closer to that temp. The manual shift button on the shifter is ok. I would've like it to have a different gate for the +/- shifts, but it's ok. I use it every time I drive the car.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by jdustu
edit: actually the 1.8 is one of the joint venture engines.....don't know why they'd need 3 different 4cylinders....maybe for the foreign market

Just from a daily driver perspective, I kinda like it. My dad has a Matrix, and loves that, and quite frankly, it's a good car. The styling in this Dodge is a little edgy, but not off the wall. The 2.4 diesel engine is appealing because of lower emotions, longevity, better fuel economy, and more low end tq. If this thing knocks down 35 MPG+ with a 2.4 diesel (and for GOD's SAKE and a manual tranny) with different trim levels, you have a winner! Tons of cargo room, haul the kids, decent ground clearence for snow covered roads, and I'd be looking at it! Not everything has to be performance oriented, and boy does GM need to take some hints from dodge! Yes, market segment of the Malibu Max is the same, but if they are the same $ and roughly the same fuel mileage, I know I'd go for this over the MM, if I needed to haul a rug-rat or two, bags, beach chairs, and a grill!

Quick Reply: Dodge Neon is gone now to be replaced by...