The Camaro's return

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Camaro`s return

I felt This was of great Importance to all F-body fans

Chevy Mulling More Rear-Drivers

Chevrolet says it is planning a return to the rear-wheel-drive sedan market and possibly the coupe segment as well. It abandoned the performance coupe niche in 2002 with the phase-out of the Camaro, and the rear-drive sedan segment in 1996, when the Caprice sedan was terminated.

A fall announcement of Chevy's intentions to restore the Corvette's rear-drive companions is forthcoming, says general manager Ed Peper. Chevrolet dealers have been urging the division to bring back a competitive sports coupe for the sold-out 2005-model Ford Mustang and the coming Pontiac Solstice. Jim Campbell, Chevrolet car marketing manager, told Automotive News (June 27) that without a Mustang-battling rear-wheel drive coupe, "I wake up every day knowing that I am spotting Ford 150,000 to 200,000 units a year."

In the Corvette arena, Chevrolet also confirmed that on June 15 it sent its dealers allocation letters for the Z06 edition coming this fall. The Z06 will carry a 7.0-liter, 505-horsepower V-8 engine and price from $65,800. Only 4,000 to 5,000 Z06 models will be built in its first full year, and allocations will be authorized only for medium or high-volume Corvette dealers. The Z06 will zip from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 second, according to Campbell.

The Car Connection
THE CAMARO WILL BE BACK !!!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The camaro may or may not be back. They could just as easily remake the chevelle or over a dozen other sports car. Personally im pulling for a brand new line, why run the risk of messing up something that has had an awesome heritage already?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

i hope the camaro comes back, if not, then definitely the chevelle. If either are a four door, ill stab myself.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sounds like Chevrolet has gotten themselves a clue about the Mustang sales.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Wow, sounds like Chevrolet has gotten themselves a clue about the Mustang sales.
I think several people over there have a clue, but none of them wear the right ties.....you wear the right tie, you can give a little dismissive wave and say

"Give the masses a Camaro....say a 350 standard (ok, 346) with a 396 and 427 option...you know, like the old days...."
Old 07-07-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they would be best off going with the Camaro... sure, they risk messing up the heritage, but they already have a name that sells, and a ton of people wanting the Camaro back. Of course the Chevelle has a great name as well and is a great car, but there is nothing like a Camaro Vs. Mustang feud. Of course the Camaro would come on top as usual, espically considering the power plants they have around. Hopefully they will follow with the Vet and give us a 400HP SS or something cool. Anyway, it has to look and perform like a Camaro, and be 2 door RWD. I'm waiting for the Camaro's return, I will be right out of college, have my 10k from the guards, plus making good money. Gonna order me one!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

they need to get something going, and soon if they are going to do anything about this generation of stangs
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCamaro
The camaro may or may not be back. They could just as easily remake the chevelle or over a dozen other sports car. Personally im pulling for a brand new line, why run the risk of messing up something that has had an awesome heritage already?
I agree, The only way I think they should make a new camaro is if they know it can hold the name.

BTW, What about the firebird?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MonSSter
I agree, The only way I think they should make a new camaro is if they know it can hold the name.

BTW, What about the firebird?
Why is everyone worried that GM will f'up a new Camaro? They made them for 35 years and the majority of them were great cars. They f'ed up by not making them anymore or more precisely, not coming out with a suitable replacement. The Firebird? I dunno, I think as long as there is a GTO, there won't be a Firebird. Although, you could make a business case for a Firebird replacing the Sunfire in that market. But FWD, V6? I don't think so, look what happened to the Cougar.

Quick Reply: The Camaro's return