Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

No more NSX

Old 07-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more NSX

I always loved the NSX, but it was just too overpriced. Sad to see it go. Some people said that the 4th gen fbody (camaro) damaged sells because it looked so similar to the NSX.

Article

Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently they're building a new car to replace it based off the HSC concept from 2003.
I think they should keep the name and call the new car NSX as well.
That HSC concept had pretty much the same shape as a NSX anyway.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

'bout time. Hopefully the next one will have more power and cost less.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Way overpriced and way underpowered to compete with other cars in that price range. Heck there are 4 door luxury sedans like the E55 that would hand the NSX its head on a platter.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

The body style was ahead of it's time which is why it lasted as long as it did. I guess time has finally caught up to it.

I'd love to have one so I could put a LS1 in it.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

An LS1 will put that car to shame.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
I always loved the NSX, but it was just too overpriced. Sad to see it go. Some people said that the 4th gen fbody (camaro) damaged sells because it looked so similar to the NSX.

Article

Just because both cars are red and black it doesn't mean they look alike.

Those people are obviously on crack. A 4th Gen F Body looks like **** sitting next to an NSX. The F-Body might be faster in a straight line but it sure as f**k doesn't look better. I don't know who these "people" are that said this but they obviously don't know WTF they're talking about or have no taste. I mean FFS one is a boat with a long hood for it's big honkin V8 and a short deck while the other is a streamlined beauty with a short front overhang because it's a MID-ENGINED car for crying out loud.

NSX sales steadily declined because Honda barely touched the thing and failed to make significant upgrades in a crowded and highly competitive market. If any GM product had a helping hand in killing NSX sales it's OBVIOUSLY the more powerful, more affordable albeit somewhat less reliable Corvette. The NSX is known as being one of the most reliable and easy to live with sports cars but in today's world it is SEVERELY underpowered. Sports cars sell on their performance credentials, not their reliability. 290hp won't get you anywhere quick unless we're talking Lotus or Caterham. Not to mention that the price of an NSX is quite steep compared to the competition. If anything it's a damn miracle the car lasted as long as it did (especially here in the states). During the course of the NSXs lifespan we lost the dead sexy but problematic FD RX-7, the bulletproof motored but bloated and inflated Mark IV Supra, the heavy, oversized and oversophisticated 3KGT/Stealth, the Z32 300ZXTT and a few other high performance products from Japan. The sports car market wasn't exactly booming in the early 90s and unfortunately for the Big 6, the generation of sporty/sports cars they put out during that time were larger, heavier, more powerful, but unfortunately much more expensive than their predecessors which led to their untimely deaths in the U.S. The NSX was always a bit more niche than any of these products as it occupied a more expensive segment of the market which is perhaps why it survived being built in small batches. The competition just got way too good. Look at everything that has come since the NSXs debut. Two generations of Viper, the ZR-1 and two generations of Z06, the 996 Turbo, the Lotus Elise, hell even ford got in on the game with it's GT. The list goes on.

That list however does NOT include F-Bodies. I don't know what those people were smoking. People who have enough scrilla for an NSX are not going to downgrade to a cheaply made F-Body. Yes they're fast as ****, but they occupy a totally different market. NSX buyers cross shop with Corvettes.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 07-15-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Matt, what is FFS?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

For <explitive deleted> Sake?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4th Gens look like **** next to an NSX? That's definitely YOUR opinion.

And yes, it's definitely about time they did something with the NSX. Whether a major revamp, or completely ditching the car, they needed something drastic. It's the exact same damn car now as it was back in '91. Overpriced, underpowered, and an outdated design. I'm not saying it looks bad, but you can see its age big time.

The C5 runs circles around the NSX in everything except build-quality (which is relative). There was nothing about the NSX at all that could justify its ridiculous pricetag.

I'm really surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt

Those people are obviously on crack.
That I agree with. I also agree that NSX and F-body are not directly comparable vehicles on most levels; two totally different segments within the “performance-coupe” category.

A 4th Gen F Body looks like **** sitting next to an NSX. The F-Body might be faster in a straight line but it sure as f**k doesn't look better........I don't know who these "people" are that said this but they obviously don't know WTF they're talking about or have no taste.
This part, well, I'm on the opposite side of that opinion. Appearance is subjective. Nothing about the NSX looks appealing to me when compared to ANY generation of F-body. What’s wrong with a long hood and a big V8? What’s wrong with a larger, muscular appearance? Believe it or not, some of us LIKE the F-body look. The NSX would not have appealed to me even had it stickered for $25K. LOL, it’s funny, we both look at the same two pictures and we both see something that looks beautiful and something that looks like **** in comparison, just that it’s the opposite “something’s”. This is why it’s nice to have options in the marketplace. Not everyone likes one look, style, or segment.

Perhaps fit/finish/materials were of a higher class than F-body, or maybe even Corvette for that matter, but for the extreme difference in price, they’d better be. If I remember correctly, a recent NSX was just under the $90K mark, correct? With a 3.2L V6 and 290hp/225 ft/lbs, at about 3100-3200lbs? Yeah, I’d pass on that even if I liked the way it looked. I could find FAR better ways and/or cars to spend $90K on, if that were my budget.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Those people are obviously on crack. A 4th Gen F Body looks like **** sitting next to an NSX. The F-Body might be faster in a straight line but it sure as f**k doesn't look better. I don't know who these "people" are that said this but they obviously don't know WTF they're talking about or have no taste. I mean FFS one is a boat with a long hood for it's big honkin V8 and a short deck while the other is a streamlined beauty with a short front overhang because it's a MID-ENGINED car for crying out loud.

NSX sales steadily declined because Honda barely touched the thing and failed to make significant upgrades in a crowded and highly competitive market. If any GM product had a helping hand in killing NSX sales it's OBVIOUSLY the more powerful, more affordable albeit somewhat less reliable Corvette. The NSX is known as being one of the most reliable and easy to live with sports cars but in today's world it is SEVERELY underpowered. Sports cars sell on their performance credentials, not their reliability. 290hp won't get you anywhere quick unless we're talking Lotus or Caterham. Not to mention that the price of an NSX is quite steep compared to the competition. If anything it's a damn miracle the car lasted as long as it did (especially here in the states). During the course of the NSXs lifespan we lost the dead sexy but problematic FD RX-7, the bulletproof motored but bloated and inflated Mark IV Supra, the heavy, oversized and oversophisticated 3KGT/Stealth, the Z32 300ZXTT and a few other high performance products from Japan. The sports car market wasn't exactly booming in the early 90s and unfortunately for the Big 6, the generation of sporty/sports cars they put out during that time were larger, heavier, more powerful, but unfortunately much more expensive than their predecessors which led to their untimely deaths in the U.S. The NSX was always a bit more niche than any of these products as it occupied a more expensive segment of the market which is perhaps why it survived being built in small batches. The competition just got way too good. Look at everything that has come since the NSXs debut. Two generations of Viper, the ZR-1 and two generations of Z06, the 996 Turbo, the Lotus Elise, hell even ford got in on the game with it's GT. The list goes on.

That list however does NOT include F-Bodies. I don't know what those people were smoking. People who have enough scrilla for an NSX are not going to downgrade to a cheaply made F-Body. Yes they're fast as ****, but they occupy a totally different market. NSX buyers cross shop with Corvettes.
I agree. I'd never buy one(even if i had the money), but i agree.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:54 AM
FormerVendor

I saw a car locally with a C5 rear end and NSX front end. It looked pretty good, actually.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

I read an article in a trade journal about this. Honda stated it was too costly to perform updates on the dated chassis to conform to 2006 US vehicle standards and it wasn't the cutting edge vehicle it once was. An Acura sedan was close to the performance level of the NSX for less money. The article also stated a replacement was in the design stages but not to expect one any time soon.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think 4th gens look like ****, I just don't think they compare to an NSX in the looks department (i.e. a 4th gen F-Body doesn't look as good as it does on it's own when there is an NSX next to it). Don't get me wrong when an LS1 goes by I oogle and drool. And me personally I'd take an F-Body over an NSX. But in terms of design, the 4th gen just doesn't compare. Think about it for a second. You park an NSX and an F-Body side by side, which will get more looks. Granted most people are too n00b to know what either is and what powers each but still, if we're talking strictly exterior, I think most would agree that an NSX is a much more beautiful car. A Camaro is just plain bad *** butch. A Firebird even more so. As someone else said since we're talking styling it's sll subjective. Hell that's why some people rice out Geo Metros... because they think it looks good. If an NSX is the "lady on the street" the F-Body is the "freak in the bed". They both look good, but one looks good because she's a sweet talker that'll treat you right while the other looks good because you know she knows how to work it.

Of course with a 1st gen F-Body you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 07-17-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

290 hp isnt that low is it? its around 10% less than an f-body but it also has 10% less weight, right? i still wouldnt get one though...and are they really that reliable compared to fbodies and vettes? i figure being one of the rarest, if not THE rarest 90's sports car due to low sales i doubt many people put enough miles on them for bad **** to happen.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

what was the last year that they made the nsx? This year? I didn't realize they were still making them. Hell i forgot all about them.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
290 hp isnt that low is it?
I'd say it's a pretty low power number for a modern $90K sports car. All other cars in it's segment and price range make far more power. Not to mention torque, the NSX is rated at 224 or 225 ft/lbs, which is pretty weak for a near 3200lbs sports car. Hell, my Bonneville makes more torque than that.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

NSX have always been underpowered and overpriced. I'm happy to see them go. Hopefully Honda will replace it with a more worthwhile car.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd blame bad sales on not updating the car in 15 years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No more NSX