Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post GM plans all-new Pontiac GTO

GM plans all-new Pontiac GTO

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gto28e_20050728.htm

Sales of 400-hp coupe take off
July 28, 2005

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

General Motors Corp. will stop building the Australian version of its Pontiac GTO performance coupe later this year, but the U.S. model will remain in production at least through the 2006 model year, and an all-new model is in the works, a Pontiac spokesman said.

After a slow start in 2004, U.S. sales of the 400-horsepower GTO have taken off this year. Pontiac sold 87% more GTOs in the first half of 2005 than for the same period last year.

The car is based on the Australian Monaro coupe, which went into production in 2001. GM's Australian unit, Holden, will drop the Monaro this fall to concentrate on getting a new model of its higher-selling Commodore rear-drive sedan into production. The new Commodore goes into production in mid-2006.

The Monaro and GTO are built in the same plant in Elizabeth, near Melbourne.

The next-generation GTO will come from a new global family of rear-wheel-drive cars, Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said.

GM insiders say that car's appearance will be more eye-catching than the somewhat anonymous GTO. The new model is likely to go into production in 2008 and will probably be built in Australia.

"The next-generation GTO will fulfill the promise of the current car," Hopson said. "We have every intention of getting it on the street as soon as possible."

Holden will continue to build a version of Monaro for sale in England by GM's Vauxhall unit.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:11 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Again, with what platform?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Again, with what platform?
GM has *something* in the works there. 99% certain it will be based on the Commodore, as that line underpins so many cars now in GM's protfolio. Not to mention GM wants a 3-series competitor that can match the range of 2-door, 3-door, AWD/RWD and Wagon. The 3-series is a huge cash cow, and that segment single handidly turned Infiniti around (in the G35). So keep the faith, GM isn't turning it's back on this segment.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
So keep the faith, GM isn't turning it's back on this segment.
No, just ours. ****** bastards.

And does Pontiac really need a damned SUV? And a car based one at that?

Still calling for Putz's head on a platter.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HPP
No, just ours. ****** bastards.

And does Pontiac really need a damned SUV? And a car based one at that?

Still calling for Putz's head on a platter.
Nah, we'll get a Camaro out of this yet. January 2006 will be a good month for the Camaro faithful.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:33 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, we'll get a Camaro out of this yet. January 2006 will be a good month for the Camaro faithful.
I'm not a Camaro faithful. I don't give a damn about a Camaro. The better of the F twins is the one that matters. The Phoenix must rise from the ashes of it's demise.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

>>GM insiders say that car's appearance will be more eye-catching than the somewhat anonymous GTO.<<

Uh oh, here comes the body cladding....
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by technical
>>GM insiders say that car's appearance will be more eye-catching than the somewhat anonymous GTO.<<

Uh oh, here comes the body cladding....
Maybe the old Pontiac, but the new G6 coupe is restoring my faith in Pontiac's styling ability.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the old Pontiac, but the new G6 coupe is restoring my faith in Pontiac's styling ability.

What!??! It's shaped like a Honda Accord coupe. Nothing original about the "first-ever" G6. Again, it's not bringing me into the dealerships. I don't see them on the road. It's still not refined enough to compare to Acura/Honda, BMW, Toyota/Lexus, etc. It's "all-new"? Nothing special.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
What!??! It's shaped like a Honda Accord coupe. Nothing original about the "first-ever" G6. Again, it's not bringing me into the dealerships. I don't see them on the road. It's still not refined enough to compare to Acura/Honda, BMW, Toyota/Lexus, etc. It's "all-new"? Nothing special.
If you haven't checked it out, you should. It is definately refined enough to compete with Honda and Toyota and dare I say it, yes even some of the offerings from Acura and Lexus. BMW...maybe not, but that's what the GTO is for. Personally, I don't see Pontiac as a competitor to BMW (as GM claims they want it to be), at least not yet, but don't go bashing the car if you haven't even looked at it.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

The lines on the G6 are a cacophony for the eyes. I imagine the front of the car was designed by a different group who designed the back of the car.

But I'll be sure the next time I stop by Avis to try one out..
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

The lines on the G6 are a cacophony for the eyes. I imagine the front of the car was designed by a different group who designed the back of the car.

But I'll be sure the next time I stop by Avis to try one out..
I can't believe the guy with the BMW is the G6's only advocate here Seriously though this is not an expensive car, so of course it's not going to be astylish as a G35, but still It's night and day better looking than the old Grand Am and most of what's coming out for Pontiac these days.

that said I think it's a good looking car for the money, and am looking forward to a refreshed GTO, Grand Prix and Bonneville.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
If you haven't checked it out, you should. It is definately refined enough to compete with Honda and Toyota and dare I say it, yes even some of the offerings from Acura and Lexus. BMW...maybe not, but that's what the GTO is for. Personally, I don't see Pontiac as a competitor to BMW (as GM claims they want it to be), at least not yet, but don't go bashing the car if you haven't even looked at it.
I have looked at it. A girl at work just bought one. GT, black/tan. Just not what I would spend money on. I'd take an Acura TSX first.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the G6, its a bitch car, rounded and another pontiac clone. How long have they been putting that damn grill look on cars now, 15 years?

As for the GTO, best thing they could do is start over and add some retro cues. The whole problem here is they have nothing that offers performance in the $20k range, which is what brought the demise of the Fbody's in the first place. Ford can't build enough mustangs, Chrysler has their hands full building hemi's. I'll almost guarantee the new Charger will fly out of the dealerships because it has a fairly unique look and you can get one with a Hemi for $30k according to the website. From any I've seen, you can't get a GTO for that.

Sorry, GM is really pissing me off.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
On the G6, its a bitch car, rounded and another pontiac clone. How long have they been putting that damn grill look on cars now, 15 years?
It's the corproate thing now. All Chevys have that stupid chrome bar, all Chryslers have the same cross grill, all Pontiacs have the twin grills, and so on. Sucks, but so does the idea of Pontiac putting out a car based SUV. All of GM management needs to be sacked.

The whole problem here is they have nothing that offers performance in the $20k range, which is what brought the demise of the Fbody's in the first place. Ford can't build enough mustangs, Chrysler has their hands full building hemi's. I'll almost guarantee the new Charger will fly out of the dealerships because it has a fairly unique look and you can get one with a Hemi for $30k according to the website. From any I've seen, you can't get a GTO for that.
There is the Solstice that will be a hair under $20G, and the rumored Solstice Coupe is also rumored to be less than that.

But overall, you're right. A Miata fighter is great and all, but what is desperately (and obviously) needed is to bring the Firebird back. With a hot V6 and an optional LSx on the base model. Dump the Formula because the market isn't big enough anymore, sadly, and leave the Trans Am at the top of the heap. But drop the options other than hardtop/t-top (must have a hard top) and maybe a 'vert. T/A/GTA, WS6/non, too many versions. If the T/A is the ultimate Firebird, make it such. Don't have differing levels within that.

Sorry, GM is really pissing me off.
You're not the only one.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I can't believe the guy with the BMW is the G6's only advocate here
That's a testiment to the design approach Pontiac was taking. They targeted the segment that buys 3 series, G35's, TL's, etc. The problem is the majority of that segment won't consider buying a Pontiac. It would seem they are lost to the imports now.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

That's a testiment to the design approach Pontiac was taking. They targeted the segment that buys 3 series, G35's, TL's, etc. The problem is the majority of that segment won't consider buying a Pontiac. It would seem they are lost to the imports now.
Well The G6 is only $18K-$24K, (before Crazy discounts), so I think it's more targeted at the Civic and Jetta than the Acuras, Infinits and BMWs of the world.

Anyhow, I'm just happy to see Pontiac is trying to make a clean design without the use of cladding, scoops and spoilers.

I think a good example is the Nissan 300ZX. It was a fantasticly styled car and didn't need any tacks ons to look good. Conversly the Mitsubishi 3000GT, another good looking car of that time, looked horrible without the extra stuff.

I'm glad to see Pontiac trying to make a good design first without these styling tricks.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Well The G6 is only $18K-$24K, (before Crazy discounts), so I think it's more targeted at the Civic and Jetta than the Acuras, Infinits and BMWs of the world.
Given the price point and FWD, you're probably right about that.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA

Hey, exactly...look 3 or 4 threads down for what I posted about Iaccoca. He said the same exact thing, and doesn't think much of "Putz" either.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

If Holden engineers it, great. If GM NA engineers it, someone hold me.

Either way, I'm not holding my breath for a redesigned GTO to bow after the current model, or any time soon after it's done.

Quick Reply: 2008 Pontiac GTO