Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Opel Vectra OPC To Debut At Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opel Vectra OPC To Debut At Frankfurt

Well I've been saying it for quite a while now. Opel/Vauxhall and Holden all have stuff that looks better and performs better than their American counterparts. Once again while we are saddled with the piece of **** Malibu SS and Malibu Maxx SS which are both simply ******* ugly and rely on a lame 3.9L HV pushrod V6 coupled to an aging 4 speed automatic, Opel gets the nifty Vectra OPC (Vauxhall will likely get this car as the Vectra VXR) with a turbocharged DOHC 2.8L HF V6 coupled to a 6 speed manual. This engine was confirmed quite a while back around the time it was confirmed for the Saab 9-3 and Saab 9-3 SportCombi. Too bad we get a shitty pushrod 6 with a 4 speed slushbox in an uglier car while the Europeans getter a much better looking and probably much better handling sedan. They also get to shift for themselves. My guess is that even though the Saturn Aura will closely resemble the Vectra it will be softened up for Saturn customers meaning that the only decent performers built off of Epsilon in the states will be the Pontiac G6 (the G6 GTP gets a 6 speed but it is saddled with the harsh 3.9L pushrod motor) and the Saab 9-3 which is the only car built off of Epsilon that is available with the turbo motor and a 6 speed in the states.

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000897053669/
Old 08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happen to agree with you.

Why did GM americanize and screw such a nice car as it converted it to a malibu?

I believe the 3.9 liter with a six speed automatic would be a nice combo for an inexpensive four door. Too bad the malibu is so dam ugly.

Maybe the Aura will be a looker if they don't stray from the show car of a few months back.

Thanks for the heads up.

JB

Quick Reply: Opel Vectra OPC To Debut At Frankfurt