Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Bush Rules Out Aid to Ailing Ford and GM...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing the airlines is also an unfair comparison, as noted they did get screwed for 9/11. The key difference is that ALL airlines were/are suffering, with the exception of Southwest which i believe were the only ones on the black, not a few that provided a lesser product. Even though the economy isn't purley one of capitalism social darwinism, generally, rules, the rule is to provide a competitive quality along with a competitive price, if you fail to meet either you will not suceed, period. GM really needs to work on getting its act together, not making cars more and more expensive w/mediocare quality. For the first time in US history a foreign company, toyota, out sold a domestic, ford, last year, and unless domestic companies step up their products they will fall to more. My .02
Old 01-30-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arguing that we should have pure capitalism is ludicrous. Pure capitalism like pure democracy is anarchy and rule by the powerful against the weak. Hence why we have a federal republic and not a democracy. The big three should be helped out. We are sending so much of our economy overseas that we will not have the production base to win a major war against China. We waste billions of dollars assisting war mongering arabs in the Middle East. Let us put our aid money to good use, helping Americans in America.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nbm00ws6
As I posted earlier, the UAW has not forced a strike at GM due to a pay increase or benefits increase in over 20 years. The strikes that the UAW has had in the past 20 years at GM was due to health and safety reasons and to try and retain jobs in the US which to date they haven't been real sucessful at doing. The UAW has not held a gun to GM's head in those 20 years asking for higher wages, but if you blame them for saying OK we'll take that then I guess your right.
Will they do anything with the ship sinking? They will bail and see how useless on the job market they really are. $25 an hour is excessive for unskilled labor. Averaging $1600 per car health care costs. PARASITIC!!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Just please do not let toyota buy out GM. I sware if toyota tries to buy gm im going to ******* lose it.
-Joel
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the fall of 2005 the UAW and GM came to a agreement that was voted on and passed by the UAW current GM workers that saves GM around $15 billion dollars in the next few years by having the retirees pay for part of their health benefits and the current work force took a 15-18 month pay freeze and both have higher co-pay on their medicine and doctor visits. The agreement is said by GM to save them around $4 billion in the year 2006 alone. GM praised the UAW for their efforts in helping them out when they needed the most.
Originally Posted by Red Shift
Will they do anything with the ship sinking? They will bail and see how useless on the job market they really are. $25 an hour is excessive for unskilled labor. Averaging $1600 per car health care costs. PARASITIC!!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Second Club

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Just please do not let toyota buy out GM. I sware if toyota tries to buy gm im going to ******* lose it.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
Personnally, instead of trying to subsidize USA industries, I'm a big fan of levying significant tarrifs on all imported parts/vehicles in all industries, even against American owned companies such as GM and Ford (each of them have numerous imports of parts and fully assembled vehicles). There is nothing produced outside the US that Americans cannot produce, so why shouldn't we provide incentive (in this case, proximity would be the incentive) to allow us to produce everything we consume?
Originally Posted by Roofer Dave
What happens when other countries return the favor?
They already do, we cannot sell as many vehicles in most overseas nations as they are allowed to sell here.
Now there are other products that we export that can be hurt of course but I'm talking about vehicle versus vehicle here.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
They already do, we cannot sell as many vehicles in most overseas nations as they are allowed to sell here.
Now there are other products that we export that can be hurt of course but I'm talking about vehicle versus vehicle here.
I'm aware they already do, but the tarrifs are not in significant amounts and we don't have any trade agreements restricting imports based on exportation rates. As the largest worldwide consumer of the majority of products, that is how you leverage tarrifs against other countries without it hurting your exports. One such example would be to set a minimum required ratio of sales:

ex. exports/imports >= 0.5 would require that dollars earned could not exceed dollars spent by a trading nation. (Japan sells $20b cars to US, we sell $20b chickens to them). It has worked for us in the past, and as I see it is necessary for survival of our economy.

Those that think it is not important to have production State-side don't understand economics (yes, even some economists don't understand this one). You cannot base your economy on services, because services are not tangible, just as you shouldn't (though we do, in spite of our money being illegal according to the Constitution) base your dollar on a principle, but on something of value (i.e. gold/silver/precious metal etc.). Products have value, and while I understand that those jobs may seem menial, it is much better to have a menial, reliable job than to not have one at all, or to have a job market that is oversaturated with highly skilled people who have to compete for the opportunity to flip burgers.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by minty
do u people think ????? only some it seems....think.....
Whos the genius that said to give GM and ford money since we gave it to the airlines???
The airlines got screwed because of 9/11....PERIOD.....it scared everyone and slowed the entire economy but the airlines the worst....GM and Ford Caused and still cause their own problems.....
Maybe you should research the extent of the financial trouble the airlines had created before 9/11 and how the bailout did nothing to help them. 9/11 was just the final stroke. GM is following suit. BTW the genius said not to give anyone money.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:21 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact is we (Meaning US citizens) are killing ourselves. Cost of living here with the high taxes we pay IE: 30% right off the top and the we are taxed when we spend it another 8.25% and some states have an income tax etc... I bet we don't see 40% of what we make! Taxed when we make it and when we spend it and taxed on what we own IE: Property etc... Then throw in all the foreign competition who work for pennys on the dollar. Well to try and make the most of what we make well by the cheaper good from the other country instead of supporting US companies! Who profits the foreign companies do and out US companies cut jobs etc... to try and compete but can't do enough to be competitive so then they go under leaving us job less and the cycle goes on and on until we are all out of good paying jobs. I mean they brag about how unemplyment is down, but what are the jobs people are working (Walmart, Mc Donalds, Toco Bell etc...) I see people working two low paying jobs to scrape by. Now a lot of this will not seem true for a lot of people because it hasn't gotten bad enough for the majority to realize it. The goverment leaves our boarder open because they want more worker to pay taxes just like a good company would want to raise profits so we end up paying more to the lawmakers and officials and more welfare programs etc... I could go on all day about so many aspects of this, but why no one listens or does anything about it. Bottom line we need to buy from US companies even if the products cost more that supports our economy and not the foreigners! We need to close the boarders and concentrate on things here in the US rather than other countries also.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Default Republican

Should we help them, yes because it would have a severe impact on our economy. But things need to change in this country regardging the auto industry. A fact that has been proven time and time again (and not only in the auto industry) is that unions have ruined what was once a great industry in the united states. It is far to expensive to operate they way Ford and GM have had to and still maintain the ability to build a quality product at a reasonable price. Why buy a CTS or Lincoln LS for over $40k when you could buy an A6 or TL and get far more for your money. It truely is a free economy, and it should tell these guys something when just about everyone in this country wants to buy a Toyota over a Ford or GM product. They can do it cheaper and at a higher quality and you can bet your life you will get 150-200k miles out of the car if you change the oil every 5k miles. This should be a wakeup call for Ford and GM.

Quick Reply: Bush Rules Out Aid to Ailing Ford and GM...