Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Say 'bon voyage' And Hello To The New GMC Acadia

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say 'bon voyage' And Hello To The New GMC Acadia

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/12/2...adia-revealed/

Ok so that was a cheesy attempt at a cool title. But at least the new Acadia is as cool as can be... well from the inside anyway. I wish GM had done a bit more with the Acadias exterior. Perhaps something a bit more outlandish instead of looking staid and IMO like another early 2000 Japanese SUV. Whereas newer Japanese crossoversl like the Mazda CX-7 and the larger CX-9 and the Acura RDX are more exciting designs, the Acadia seems a bit simpler.

However I have to credit GM here. The tailights look like LED units and GM has finally figured out that polished chrome exhaust tips ALWAYS finish off the rear of a vehicle. No more of this lazy *** single hidden exhaust tip that pokes out the back like an ugly and tacky looking device that makes it seem like GM engineers forgot to make room for exhaust piping. So while I'm not too big a fan of the Acadias design, I applaud GM for at least making be believe that they're trying. The interior seems very well done and while I'm not a big fan of the outside I really do appreciate the attention to detail. Kudos to GM. Those asshats are learning. While not everyone may love their new designs, if they pay attention to detail and at least put forth valiant efforts it will help the company a lot in terms of getting people to believe that they're not just building pushrod powered badge engineered boxes.

Personally the hottest of this new trio of Crossovers (Acadia, Outlook and Enclave) is the Buick Enclave. In concept form that sucker was a surprise hit and a hell of a looker. Heck Buick has had some smash designs recently with the Enclave and the Zeta based Velite concept from two years ago. Makes you wonder why the General is dragging it's *** with these two vehicles.

As for the mechanicals, the Acadia is powered by GMs soon to be ubiquitous 3.6L DOHC HF V6. It cranks out 267 hp in this application and sends power via a 6 speed automatic to either the front or all four wheels. The Generals truck based midsizers are supposedly leaving us in late 2008, early 2009 and these crossovers will fill the holes left by the departure of the Envoy, Trailblazer, Rainier and the 9-7x (I think that's what Saabs version is called). Anyway without further delay here are the pics.

One more thing. Those GAY *** GM badges need to go. I know the General wants us to know that believe it or not that sexy looking Saturn Sky comes from the same company as that piece of **** Malibu but please just stop it. I mean until you get your **** figured out, do you really want to associate the XLR-V with the Aveo?

2007 GMC Acadia

Buick Enclave Concept

Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

THe buick enclave is sex on wheels. OMG how pretty BUICK BUILD IT!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Acadia looks so-so, amazing interior, retarded name. The Enclave looks pretty good, also amazing interior, also stupid name.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
The Acadia looks so-so, amazing interior, retarded name. The Enclave looks pretty good, also amazing interior, also stupid name.
Well Enclave is better than RAINIER IMO. LOL.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely trade the wife's HHR for one of those. Damn nice!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The interiors are awesome, doesn't seem GM at all, Best of both is the buick hands down, i'd buy one DAMN. I wanna see pictures of the chevy now.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a HUD unit in front of the instrument barnacle on the Acadia?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Wow...those are GM interiors??? Those are very, very nice inside. From the pictures they could pass for a Lexus or Audi interior. Congrats to GM on finally figuring out that people do in fact care about the interior.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup they come with a HUD. Was also something else they come with that I can't think of atm.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I just noticed something. Although the interior is vastly improved over GMs current functional yet tacky interiors they still can't find time to design a good looking steering wheel. Better looking than the one in the Malibu and first year C6 Corvettes but still, would it kill them to design a decent looking 3 spoke unit?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

all suvs should not look the same
every yuppie suv mobile looks the same now a days
Old 07-13-2006, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Fixed the title.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Fixed the title.
Why? Did you not get the Envoy reference in EnVoyage?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pontiacdreamin
THe buick enclave is sex on wheels.
So what do they call having sex on rollerblades?
_________

I like how its got Dual/Dual exhaust tips, and 260 hp.
Good ride for the o'l lady.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Fixed the title.
Aww, EnVoyage was a play on Envoy. I suck at playing on words apparently.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Originally Posted by Morbid
Why? Did you not get the Envoy reference in EnVoyage?
I'm just smarter than most people.

Kidding.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
I thought that was pretty funny. Not as good as the Richard Jewel "Hero to Zero" headline, but still pretty good. You will just have to leave cliff notes for PSJ next time.

I wonder what is going to happen to the envoy now? For the time being, they are going to be selling both.

-Geoff
Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I thought that was pretty funny. Not as good as the Richard Jewel "Hero to Zero" headline, but still pretty good. You will just have to leave cliff notes for PSJ next time.

I wonder what is going to happen to the envoy now? For the time being, they are going to be selling both.

-Geoff
Word has it GM will pull the plug on it's GMT360ng SUVs some time in 2009 or 2010. GMC is getting the Acadia, Buick the Enclave, Saturn the Outlook (all Lambda based crossovers) and Saab will reportedly get a Theta based crossover either dubbed 9-4x or 9-6x. It's uncertain as to what Chevy dealers will get but judging by the fact that GM is supposedly trying to cut down on whoring out it's platforms to EVERY division who knows? Chevy is GMs bread and butter division so while Pontiac can go without a midsize SUV and focus on sporty cars Chevy will need a killer midsizer to go toe to toe with the Explorer, Pathfinder, 4Runner etc... Personally I would have thought it would be a good idea to build the Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave car based crossovers and leave Chevy and GMC with truck based SUVs for those who still want something a bit rugged but it appears that even GMC may be building soft roaders in the near future with Hummer taking over all of GMs "heavy duty" truck based SUV production. My guess is GM will be forced to give Chevy it's own Lambda based crossover or perhaps a Theta based SUV like Saab will be getting. As much as platform whoring sucks, with the GMT360ng platform being dropped in a few years GM is not going to spend bucks to develop an all new SUV just for one of it's car lines. /rant.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Acadia & Outlook show up this fall, Enclave next spring (I think).
Buick Enclave replaces both the Ranier and the Rendevous.

These are excellent new vehicles, they should do well for GM.
Chevy TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy bite the dust in a couple years, with no replacements.

The crossover market is booming, so GM's timing on this trio is perfect.
Also the midsize SUV market is dwindling fast because of that, so the potential exit from that market may also be a good move.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Isn't this Astro replacement? Instead of medium van now a crosssover for seven?

Anyone have a pricing on this Arcadia?

Quick Reply: Say 'bon voyage' And Hello To The New GMC Acadia